A version of Ava of Ex Machina

Works in progress and technical screen shots.

Moderator: joepal

Re: A version of Ava of Ex Machina

Postby punkduck » Sat Feb 03, 2018 8:38 pm

Progress: the "muscles" and cabels are now complete for legs, neck and spine. As you may notice: I still have to do a few parts for her stomach region ...

ava_exmachina12.jpg

The neck is fully detailed now, a normal map is creating the structure of the wires. You also can look through the opening in the back. Also a kind of back plane is created for the face, so that there is no longer this scary view of the backside of mouth and eyes. The proxy for the face-mask is still missing. The UV map is "sorted" so that you can select regions and replace it with your own shaders in the future (the way I used for blue and yellow lights and for the white plastic) ...

ava_exmachina10.jpg

ava_exmachina11.jpg
punkduck

Postby wolgade » Sun Feb 04, 2018 12:34 am

That's quite a progress. Some details are great. But it's always the same story: The better you get, the more noticeable the glitches. You still have a zig-zag line on the transition from skin to body suit in the neck area. The face needs some thickness. At the end of the day you'll have to retopo this area.
wolgade

Postby punkduck » Sun Feb 04, 2018 10:19 pm

wolgade wrote:That's quite a progress. Some details are great. But it's always the same story: The better you get, the more noticeable the glitches. You still have a zig-zag line on the transition from skin to body suit in the neck area. The face needs some thickness. At the end of the day you'll have to retopo this area.

Well, until now there was no proxy used, as I mentioned. But today I finished it, now the hands, feet and the head have a small rim to create the same effect as in the movie. It was a lot of work, so that you can use the UV texture of the standard skin layout with no hair region used. :roll:

I also completed the stomach region. Now I've to do a few changes with the normal map of the bodysuit. Furthermore I will create a second bodysuit texture, where cannot see through (the one they used filming the actrice before doing the post-processing). All elements will then be uploaded to the assets ;)

ava_exmachina13.jpg

I added a few elements, which are not in the movie to fill the empty space ;)

ava_exmachina14.jpg
punkduck

Postby RobBaer » Mon Feb 05, 2018 12:07 am

Thank you once again for sharing you talent and work process on the forum. I love your project ideas and learn so much from your workflow descriptions.

Wonderful character!
RobBaer

Postby punkduck » Mon Feb 05, 2018 11:53 pm

RobBaer wrote:Thank you once again for sharing you talent and work process on the forum. I love your project ideas and learn so much from your workflow descriptions.

Wonderful character!

Thanx to the Ex Machina crew realizing this wonderful movie where I got my inspiration from ... :D

Now everyone should be able to create an own version of AVA. I uploaded all parts to the user contributed assets and I will add additional information in the next days e.g. how to create lights etc. Even if it looks complicated, approx. 20 minutes after exporting the character from MakeHuman you have all the effects in Blender, which you can see in the example pictures, so it is no rocket science for the MH Users to try an own version.

1'o clock in the morning ... I've to work tomorrow ... ;)
punkduck

Postby Mindfront » Wed Feb 07, 2018 9:27 pm

I am speechless totally speechless :shock: Thank you punkduck!!! This turns MakeHuman to an sci-fi experiment box and I have to rerender an old scene.If you dont mind I want to do an ready to wear cycles principled and emission material for this most excellent asset, when finished upload it to the Custom content.
Mindfront

Postby punkduck » Thu Feb 08, 2018 1:42 am

Mindfront wrote:I am speechless totally speechless :shock: Thank you punkduck!!! This turns MakeHuman to an sci-fi experiment box and I have to rerender an old scene.If you dont mind I want to do an ready to wear cycles principled and emission material for this most excellent asset, when finished upload it to the Custom content.

Your are welcome! ... I just added a picture in my "normal" thread ... and tried to reproduce a scene of the film using Xiao as Kyoko (the other "robot" played by Sonoya Mizuno) with your Dress No. 7. It is similar to the one she is wearing in the movie and of course it saves me a lot of time (I only created a textures ... a white plane with a black line, took me 2 minutes :lol: ).

http://www.makehumancommunity.org/forum/download/file.php?id=6070&mode=view
punkduck

Postby wolgade » Thu Feb 08, 2018 3:53 pm

Well, Ava turned from "pretty good idea" to "very well done". She simply looks great.
wolgade

Postby punkduck » Mon Feb 12, 2018 10:06 pm

punkduck

Previous

Return to WIP (Work In Progress)