doodles and experiments

Works in progress and technical screen shots.

Moderator: joepal

Re: doodles and experiments

Postby jujube » Fri Jun 08, 2018 1:42 am

RobBaer wrote:
jujube wrote:Blender 2.79b + denoising + Principled shader "random walk" subsurface + hdrihaven + basemesh + Hairtool

You can make braids with hairtool now

Your hair tool experiments keep intriguing me, but I haven't quite pulled the trigger on paying up. :D

In your image the back lighting seems to reveal some transparency artifacts with the "stringy hair". Is this an intrinsic fault of the tool, or just an unhappy circumstance of this particular scene and the lighting choices you made while playing?

It's not a hairtool thing, which only makes geometry not textures (well, there is a baking feature now, but i havent figured out how to use it yet). My alpha mask was just a handful of brush strokes in MS paint, lol. There's also the issue of transparent bounces. Hairtool tends to make tons of overlapping strands, and if you dont crank up the max transparent bounces (or some other glitch happens, like not clamping after increasing the contrast) then the transparent parts turn black.
(edit: I did a test render with transparent background, it seems the artifacts were caused by the white background. w/transparency, it's smoother.)

Stats and pics for satisfying curiosity:
Hdri used: pillars 16k https://hdrihaven.com/hdri/?h=pillars
30 max transparent bounces
Default denoising on.

I can also upload the hair mesh if anyone is interested.
Attachments
hair.png
alpha texture
hairtoolgeometry.PNG
"naked" hair geometry
hairtool_nodegroup.PNG
Hair material
jujube

Postby jujube » Fri Jun 15, 2018 3:22 am

Human face next to 1cm (gray) and 1mm (red/blue) squares.
closeup.PNG

Image showing how at a far distance/lower resolution, you cant make out the details of the colored square.
jhbhjb.PNG
jujube

Postby jujube » Mon Sep 17, 2018 1:04 am

In the development/bleeding-edge version of blender 2.79 you can "comb" cloth in the particle edit mode. The result is that the cloth falls into the shape that you sculpted it. The animation is of a square of cloth falling onto a perfectly average cube.

principled shader with sheen + hdrihaven car hdri = lovely shading
Attachments
0001-0060.avi
(474.07 KiB) Downloaded 577 times
wrinklebox.PNG
wwwww.PNG
wwww.PNG
jujube

Postby wolgade » Tue Sep 18, 2018 10:00 am

jujube wrote:n the development/bleeding-edge version of blender 2.79 you can "comb" cloth in the particle edit mode.

Cool! It might get much easier to create realistic loose fitting clothes.
wolgade

Previous

Return to WIP (Work In Progress)