VADER_wip

Works in progress and technical screen shots.

Moderator: joepal

Re: VADER_wip

Postby grinsegold » Mon Mar 20, 2017 5:21 pm

Final... i hope.
Attachments
Darth Vader v.3.zip
(9.94 MiB) Downloaded 532 times
grinsegold

Postby punkduck » Mon Mar 20, 2017 10:24 pm

grinsegold wrote:Have a lookat this: i thought the altered position of the red light at gizmo 3+4 were due to conversion glitches, but i reclothified one of them, and old and new version look the same. The glitch occures when i press the smooth-button in MH. No big problem. I'll tell the user in the description not to export the smoothed version.

The difference between Makehuman and Blender: when you use the Catmull-Clark subsurface modifier in Blender and you switch off the option "Subdivide UVs", then Blender behaves like MakeHuman. In other words: the algorithm in Blender does a correction of the coordinates in the UV map, MakeHuman is not doing it.

I wrote about the same problem in a tutorial about clothes (see picture off the guitar in http://www.makehumancommunity.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=14024). If you want to have sharp edges even when you use smoothing you have to add a few loop cuts in Blender as always (which will hopefully not create triangles).

Exporting the a character with smoothing creates 4 times bigger amount of faces in Blender. When you try to pose that character at least my system becomes rather unmanageable. So it is always the best way not to export a smoothed character, best way is to switch on Catmull Clark in Blender in "Render" mode only and set the "View" mode to 0.

In between I was so busy doing my triathlon scene so that I nearly forgot to say that the Vader character for Makehuman is one of the best ideas I saw. A great asset and a perfect demonstration of your skills!!!
punkduck

Postby grinsegold » Tue Mar 21, 2017 2:11 am

I thought my new high heels would have made a bigger impression on especially you, my dear rotten-to-the-core-fellow ;) What do you think about my plans to establish foot pose buttons inside MH? Instead of calling it from inside the mhclo, you now enable a foot pose in the pose library, if the asset requires it. I already made 8,10 and 11cm, and i think i will at least make two other reasonable steps, maybe 3 and 5cm. These are obviously not real world measurements, since even in real world the height changes with shoe size. So 8 means just high, 10 means very high, and 11 is at the border to ridiculousness...
grinsegold

Postby punkduck » Tue Mar 21, 2017 9:04 pm

grinsegold wrote:I thought my new high heels would have made a bigger impression on especially you, my dear rotten-to-the-core-fellow ;) What do you think about my plans to establish foot pose buttons inside MH? Instead of calling it from inside the mhclo, you now enable a foot pose in the pose library, if the asset requires it. I already made 8,10 and 11cm, and i think i will at least make two other reasonable steps, maybe 3 and 5cm. These are obviously not real world measurements, since even in real world the height changes with shoe size. So 8 means just high, 10 means very high, and 11 is at the border to ridiculousness...

One reason of the missing reaction about the heels is that I just downloaded these assets and poses a few minutes ago to play around with them ... for the last activities of being a ballet dancer, a train driver or triathlete these things might be bit counterproductive, and even playing in a band and jumping up and down may result in some serious problems with these shoes ;)

Well, when I started with my models and had done no heels, I used your "old" peep-toe heels. But as you mentioned, everything higher than 8cm (the original heels I supplied are 8cm) looks weird. The
Achilles tendon works a bit different in reality. This was one reason why I remodelled part of the feet. The other reason is the toe-box, but of course your pose files now take care of the narrow toe-box.

So your idea is a good idea to keep things consistent in MakeHuman. E.g. if you want to use the shoes with toe-nails or stockings. And of course you do not have to copy skin into the diffuse texture of the shoes.

To add a foot-pose is okay (or necessary), but people will ask, why we cannot combine it with e.g. the pose standing03 to put her on a catwalk. So if we are able to combine it, like we can combine expressions with a pose, then it would be perfect. Maybe there is a possibility in future to put a statement in the mhclo file just to load a bvh before, so that the asset directly influences the position and is visible at once. I just have to understand how these things are combined.

For the position of the Achilles tendon and all the problems in reality here is page for those of us, who like to see girls suffering for beauty :lol:

http://www.webmd.com/pain-management/ss/slideshow-worst-shoes-for-your-feet

But as a rotten-to-the-core-fellow who does not have the heart to do harm to his 3d models I will stop at 8cm. If I will do a 5cm heel, I will try it on a pose you have done. In between I should do some work with python. First to reactivate the perspective viewer as a plugin and then changing the material settings when you export from MH to Blender. Until now it is only an idea to do some coding, but starting with MH and Blender approx. 18 months ago also was "only an idea" ...
punkduck

Previous

Return to WIP (Work In Progress)