dream beings: game being made with makehuman models.

Works in progress and technical screen shots.

Moderator: joepal

dream beings: game being made with makehuman models.

Postby HighLarius » Mon Feb 27, 2017 6:22 pm

I spent all morning trying to get a good screen recording program. Tell me what you think!

https://youtu.be/SfLpRResW_c
HighLarius

Re: dream beings: game being made with makehuman models.

Postby Nick_Angel » Tue Feb 28, 2017 7:57 am

Well done. I have some questions.
What is your choice for the 3D engine?
Rigging for the walk animations done with the game engine or did you have to import BVH?

Hope you don't mind me picking your brain. Also great job creating your own music. You are very talented.
Nick_Angel

Postby HighLarius » Tue Feb 28, 2017 1:17 pm

Thanks nick!

This is done in Unity, I think it's easy to learn and versatile (unless you run up against the engine code, but that only happens maybe 15-20% of the time, and usually when you're doing something way out of the box (unity is not open source)). I imported the unity rig from makehuman and then I used some free animations included with unity (it has a great humanoid rig interface that can suss out if a rig has that basic shape and apply other humanoid animations to it) and then I link the same animator to each model. This was after A LOT of experimentation with different pipelines. BVH animations ultimately where too shaky in unity to be believable. I had early testers comment on the animations' inhuman-ness. I decided it was better to go with something made specifically for unity so it looked right.

My biggest issue now is trying to figure out how to get people to play my game! I thought this would be the easy part when I was teaching myself. My goal now is to decorate everything and then start building a good press kit with high quality screen shots and a trailer or two, so I can start sending it out to indie game media. That's just what I've read I'm supposed to do. I really don't know the first thing about gaining exposure online.
HighLarius

Postby Nick_Angel » Tue Feb 28, 2017 9:08 pm

Facebook groups. It is fairly easy to join a group with over 2000 members, just find a group that relates.
1. Open Facebook (or sign up)
2. Below your banner on your main (ego page) there is a menu (Timeline - About - Friends - Photos - More)
3. Click More and scroll down to "groups"

This shows what groups you might be interested in joining or already joined. You can create a group but then you need people to join.

Also

Search "Unity Games" at the top, then choose Groups

Here is what I found right at the top Unity 3D Game Developers at 35,426 members. This is a closed group, that means you have to join to read and write posts. Public groups means you need to join to post but you can read all the posting. Secret Groups can't even be seen and are invite only.

I would also suggest you join some gamer groups, people looking for new games to play.
Nick_Angel

Return to WIP (Work In Progress)