Fashion renders

Works in progress and technical screen shots.

Moderator: joepal

Re: Fashion renders

Postby punkduck » Sat Dec 17, 2016 4:21 pm

I added another fashion item (it took some time, because I had to create a redhead texture for the ponytail01 to "simulate" my model).

The fashion.html should be linked in a better way (I guess the only visible link is here in the posts :?: ).
Everybody should be able to see it and there should be a "edit link" from the "User contributed assets", I propose.
punkduck

Postby joepal » Sat Dec 17, 2016 5:21 pm

Yes. I just wanted to get it beta tested properly before announcing it to the general public.

I'll take a look at it.
Joel Palmius (LinkedIn)
MakeHuman Infrastructure Manager
http://www.palmius.com/joel
joepal

Postby punkduck » Wed Dec 28, 2016 5:08 pm

After finishing my first ballet assets (some clothes might follow) I've done another set for the fashion renders.

In future times, when I've done enough clothes ;) I must take a look at the MH/Blender export/import mechanism for cycles. E.g. we have all information about how much gloss we want to have in the material setup of MH. After importing in Blender we have a fresnel of 1.45 (plastics is 1.46) independent from whatever we have chosen. And the glossy input is "shiny white". So a real diffuse material is not possible without modification in my point of view.

But until then the touched up render will hold the result which we can reach (at least when you not think of the strand hair) with only 2 or 3 modifications in the material setup ...

On the other side, a latex leotard and tutu are also available in real world, for me that would be okay (but do NOT ask the classic guys) :lol:
punkduck

Postby joepal » Wed Dec 28, 2016 5:42 pm

A latex ballet sounds kind of interesting. :-)

I guess the fresnel might be hard to do anything about, but looking at the source code for the MHCLO file format, there is a specularMapTexture. I never played around with it, but my guess is it can be used to influence the outcome of the specularity?
Joel Palmius (LinkedIn)
joepal

Postby punkduck » Wed Dec 28, 2016 7:36 pm

joepal wrote:A latex ballet sounds kind of interesting. :-)

I guess the fresnel might be hard to do anything about, but looking at the source code for the MHCLO file format, there is a specularMapTexture. I never played around with it, but my guess is it can be used to influence the outcome of the specularity?

No .mhclo is not used, when we do an export to Blender ... ;)

Okay, but as an good old hacker, I just invested 15 minutes and looked into the mh2mhx2.py ... my coding knowledge in python is still not the best, but it seems, that everything is available.

Therefore I unzipped an .mhx2 file (if it is zipped). You get a json representation. Starting with, MH-version, skeleton, materials, geometries ...
The material is completely added into the export. So nothing of our setup is lost :D

Okay then the importer creates the setup. Then I've to look into the blender addons.

import_runtime_mhx2/materials.py, procedure buildMaterialCycles

I can see, that the fresnel node is added ... the setup of the IOR stays unchanged. But the glossy input is set to the diffuse color of the material?!
That means that, when the texture is fully visible in MH, the color is white. So I've to dim the texture to get a less glossy material?!
Okay, then most of my .mhmat files are wrong. Btw.: The ambient color and the specular color are unused in cycles.

But I propose to use the specular color for the glossy input OR if that is set to a value less than 0.5, 0.5, 0.5 the input of the glossy shader is connected to the texture (if available) ... but using the diffuse? Is that simply a bug? Hopefully I don't work with an older version ... wouldn't be the first time :roll:

And yes, the glossy texture is linked to the input of the glossy shader ... which is correct, of course.

The code of Thomas Larsson is rather self-explaining, I must admit ... cool.
punkduck

Postby Aethelraed_Unraed » Tue Jan 24, 2017 7:49 pm

Great new idea! Once it's fully implemented, it should be a very convenient way for (new) users to quickly and efficiently browse the many assets for combinations they like. I've got two small suggestions though:

- Add a zip download option to download all included assets at once. Shouldn't be hard to implement, while it adds a lot of convenience. Could also be done for individual assets; unpacking a .zip is easier than downloading 4 or 5 different files (mhclo, mhmat, obj, diffuse, normals etc.) ;)
- I'd argue for using the touched-up render instead of the frontish render as the topmost "base" render, as it shows what can be done with a couple of minutes work. In almost any use-case, minimal editing will be done anyway, so I'd say the touched-up render is more suitable for the picture that's supposed to showcase what you can achieve with a particular combination of assets. I think the rules in the FAQ are restrictive enough to prevent anyone from adding overly edited renders that aren't anything like the original anymore, or take hours to do. I do wholeheartedly agree with the basic concept though, that besides the touched-up render, the other ones should only have absolutely minimal editing in Blender.
Aethelraed_Unraed

Postby Aranuvir » Wed Jan 25, 2017 9:09 am

Aethelraed_Unraed wrote:[...]
- Add a zip download option to download all included assets at once. Shouldn't be hard to implement, while it adds a lot of convenience. Could also be done for individual assets; unpacking a .zip is easier than downloading 4 or 5 different files (mhclo, mhmat, obj, diffuse, normals etc.) ;)
[...]

There is is downloadable zip of the assets on github, but it is slightly outdated. I guess Joel discarded it in favor of the asset download plug-in: https://github.com/makehumancommunity/community-plugins
Aranuvir

Postby punkduck » Sat Feb 11, 2017 3:44 pm

I added my first "serious" fashion (a working uniform) for a non-female character.
I didn't even know that I'm capable to do assets for male characters, but it accidentally happened :lol:

So after creating an uniform and Mindfront was doing the Oxford shoes, I just created a signal today, a red cap material and a pose and now we have a conductor.

Besides the hair it works perfect so far ..

http://www.makehumancommunity.org/content/train_conductor.html

In some way we should link this section in a better way. Directly in the top bar or at least as a topic in the "User contributed assets" ...
punkduck

Postby joepal » Sat Feb 11, 2017 3:48 pm

punkduck wrote:I added my first "serious" fashion (a working uniform) for a non-female character.
I didn't even know that I'm capable to do assets for male characters, but it accidentally happened :lol:

Yeah, male assets and art is sorely needed. Looking at the repos now, no-one would be surprised if we renamed "MakeHuman" to "MakeHalfNudeGirl". :-)

punkduck wrote:In some way we should link this section in a better way. Directly in the top bar or at least as a topic in the "User contributed assets" ...

This is on my todo list, I just never seem to get around to it...
Joel Palmius (LinkedIn)
joepal

Previous

Return to WIP (Work In Progress)