More detailed female skin texture

Works in progress and technical screen shots.

Moderator: joepal

Re: More detailed female skin texture

Postby o4saken » Wed Mar 23, 2016 8:21 am

So i happened to come across the Marmoset toolbag render programme webpage - anyhow in there there are some amazing tutorials on lighting and more importantly for me skin shading - obviously marmoset and blender are way different but that doesnt mean that the techniques cant be emulated in our own way.
One thing that i found particularly interesting is the use of translucency maps on skin with the translucent color set to red.
what essentially is achieved is a subsurface scatter effect but you have control of where it should be happening.

all excited i did a very fast alpha transparency of certain areas of the MH skin texture - mainly the ears and slightly on the nose - i am thinking to sit and do this properly as i do quite like the result - one would then obviously do the fingers and the skin between them.

at first i was trying to get the perfect balance of how much to erase the skin texture in Photoshop - after which i realized that the simple thing to do is have it strong, so that in blender you can control it simply by mixing the diffuse and the translucency in with the alpha set as the factor then adding another mix node with the result of the previous one being mixed with the plain diffuse once again - but this time the factor can be slid manually to allow for the strength required. (that sounds confusing but is really simple)

anyways here is the result of what i am talking about -
in the first image i have the translucent added as is from my erasing in photoshop
and in the second image i have adjusted the strength as described above.
Attachments
translucent render.png
translucent rendersofter.png
translucent rendersofter.png (319.28 KiB) Viewed 9592 times
o4saken

Postby o4saken » Thu Mar 24, 2016 8:30 am

Translucent concept explored further with sub-dermal skin layer added and texture map for SSS
this is not perfect - i am trying to find what works and what doesnt..
Any advice on how to further push the realism of skin?
Attachments
sss3.png
o4saken

Postby joepal » Thu Mar 24, 2016 10:23 am

I'd say the skin still looks a bit too "hard" and leathery in the flat surfaces (ie not the ears). Fixing this would most likely involve tweaking the SSS settings, but I use those too seldomly to be able to tell you what to do exactly. And googling for "blender soft skin", I just get a lot of hits for lotions and makeup.
Joel Palmius (LinkedIn)
MakeHuman Infrastructure Manager
http://www.palmius.com/joel
joepal

Postby o4saken » Thu Mar 24, 2016 10:30 am

joepal wrote:I'd say the skin still looks a bit too "hard" and leathery in the flat surfaces (ie not the ears). Fixing this would most likely involve tweaking the SSS settings, but I use those too seldomly to be able to tell you what to do exactly. And googling for "blender soft skin", I just get a lot of hits for lotions and makeup.

i know right - i have been playing with these settings all day - i shall try putting the SSS up more.

The biggest thing i found when looking at skin shaders is that they are complex - many layers of SSS. Which i understand the why - but i am trying to find something that is simple with the help of textures rather that anyone can just plug in and use - that said it obviously will never look as good as doing it the complex way. I just need a way to kill that leather look.
o4saken

Postby o4saken » Thu Mar 24, 2016 12:31 pm

here is same image with more SSS - now the face looks better - but the light is passing through her neck a bit too much..
i think this is more the translucent layer doing this - i need to make that more opaque

also the ear if anyone is wondering is only glowing like that because i have a light directly behind there to see how it is reacting.

ok it was the translucent causing the neck to glow - here second image is after i fixed it.
Attachments
sss1.png
sss.png
o4saken

Postby joepal » Thu Mar 24, 2016 7:04 pm

Can you post a screenshot of the node setup?
Joel Palmius (LinkedIn)
joepal

Postby o4saken » Wed Mar 30, 2016 9:59 am

after a lot of playing - i am finally giving up - or rather because i have no idea on how to further improve the skin look. (other than coloration - she is a bit too pink for me, but that is simply adjust the colour of the skin texture)
what i wanted to achieve was something simple but good looking - in the end it turned out more complicated.
anyways here ( the first picture) is the results of what i have got. then the node setup.
the last image is done with a node setup i downloaded online ( can share link if anyone is interested)- both are very similar looking. after looking at this for so long i cant decide which i prefer.
Attachments
myshader.png
nodes.png
skinshader.png
o4saken

Postby joepal » Wed Mar 30, 2016 2:03 pm

I'd say that the top one has better looking ears and lips, while the bottom one has better looking flat skin surfaces.

Anyway, the node setup is a bit too complex for me to have any comment by just looking at it. :-)

Dunno if you saw this article, maybe something in it is helpful for reference: https://support.solidangle.com/display/NodeRef/skin. It's not for blender specifically though.
Joel Palmius (LinkedIn)
joepal

Postby o4saken » Thu Mar 31, 2016 5:52 am

Whilst the node setup is simple in terms of skin - it is far to complex for what i was trying to achieve here. so back to more research and trying to find a simpler node setup with equal or i would wish better results.
o4saken

Postby westonurram » Wed Jun 29, 2016 4:26 am

o4saken wrote:Whilst the node setup is simple in terms of skin - it is far to complex for what i was trying to achieve here. so back to more research and trying to find a simpler node setup with equal or i would wish better results.

good luck! let us know if you improve it. Very cool so far.
westonurram

PreviousNext

Return to WIP (Work In Progress)