Normal and Occlusion Maps

Works in progress and technical screen shots.

Moderator: joepal

Re: Normal and Occlusion Maps

Postby wolgade » Tue May 08, 2018 3:39 pm

And another one:
vader.jpg

Posing the hand to grab the saber is tricky, because the fingers deform the handle. Anyway, it's just a quick test. With my setup you don't need the inner tubes.
nodes.jpg
wolgade

Postby o4saken » Tue May 08, 2018 3:42 pm

wolgade wrote:And another one:
vader.jpg

Posing the hand to grab the saber is tricky, because the fingers deform the handle. Anyway, it's just a quick test. With my setup you don't need the inner tubes.
nodes.jpg

thats awesome! thanks for sharing. and the closing of hands thing, yes i know the same happened with my harley quinn bat.. i just import the obj manually. sucks tho.

@ivmeneze - wow those do look great.

my version was really to try and do it as simple as possible - which will never look as great, but it was more for community use, those who want something that works without great understanding of nodes...
o4saken

Postby ivmeneze » Tue May 08, 2018 9:20 pm

@ivmeneze - wow those do look great.

Thank you! I understood your intention, it was cool! I left my contribution, because when I started to work with Blender, I researched a lot and found this the best way to make the light saber effect and I still learned to work with Compositing. It's like going through a phase of a video game game, with new challenges, you'll perfect until you get over it. Seeing your work, I learned a lot, I want to contribute too ...
ivmeneze

Postby punkduck » Tue May 08, 2018 11:19 pm

wolgade wrote:And another one:
vader.jpg

Oh there is a quick solution: Delete all vertex groups of the asset except group metacarpal2.R and metacarpal3.R. Select all vertices of the asset and set 2.R to 0.85 and 3.R to 0.15.
This setup worked fine for the tennis racket, the signal of the railway man, the bat of Harley Quinn, the different swords etc. ,,, In this case the asset is not deforming any longer.

If you do not use MakeClothes it is also the best way to add vertex-groups for an asset which should keep its original size but will be posed with right hand.
punkduck

Postby o4saken » Wed May 09, 2018 6:10 am

So i was trying something else for hair, then i want to try and do the V. But this works quite nice for short to medium size hair, where it is still using ribbons but the edges of the ribbon is curved under.. this then completely hides the fact that it is just a simple flat ribbon when viewed from the side.

Here is an example - i havent made a workable asset as yet.
Capture.PNG
Capture.PNG (30.23 KiB) Viewed 7538 times

YOu can see here the shape of the ribbons i am using

hairnewmesh.png

And here is a render of the result - it is looking a lot more like particle hair - some minor modelling issues but it was more to see how the hair was looking.
o4saken

Postby Mindfront » Wed May 09, 2018 9:41 pm

RobBaer wrote:Am I the only one that thinks the MakeHuman teeth are set a little too far back in the mouth to be natural?
I think so also. The original teeth is not suited for my characters so I made my own. For now I have started making more sets of teeth and will upload them when finished.

o4saken wrote:
Mindfront wrote:Are you also trying skin texture painting? And what is your goal?
I guess my goal is also realism, i am still learning when it comes to getting realistic skin, skin shader, but yes i am trying to paint my own.
but the realism doesn't stop at the skin, clothing is also important, especially with texturing - which is why i try (dont always succeed) to make clothes where on close up images you can see the actual fabric textures, my hopes is that when you look at them you can almost imagine what the fabric would feel like just because of the details.

Sounds like we have similar goals :-) It's really time consuming to get into details and it's easy to get stuck and loose inspiration.
My skin textures and material is not the best but I try to keep it simple and effective. Still, there is room for alot of improvements as my characters still look a bit unnatural but at this moment I am so tierd of texturing and decided it is enough tweaking for some time. All work and no play makes Jack a dull boy.

I send you a PM.

And that latest hair looks very, very good :-)
Mindfront

Postby o4saken » Mon May 14, 2018 12:55 pm

Male version of the fur jacket i made - its pretty much the same, only added top pockets and fitted to male character.
jacketman.png
Attachments
malefurjacket.zip
(7.24 MiB) Downloaded 652 times
o4saken

Postby o4saken » Tue May 15, 2018 1:49 pm

WIP fur jacket - will be released tomorrow - i tried to finish it today but honestly this one has a lot of texture work in it, and it needs just that little more finishing touches - ripples, etc.. but i am LOVING this one - results really show when you put effort into texturing.
Last edited by o4saken on Wed May 16, 2018 1:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
o4saken

Postby RobBaer » Tue May 15, 2018 2:04 pm

o4saken wrote:Male version of the fur jacket i made - its pretty much the same, only added top pockets and fitted to male character.

The jacket is cool, but for a male I might make it a little less tapered in the abdominal region and perhaps a little looser overall on the body.
RobBaer

Postby o4saken » Wed May 16, 2018 11:04 am

Ok so i did some more work on this jacket - but i could not get the wrinkles normal to mix with the fabric texture normal, so i just scrapped that idea.
This is a rather large asset, but its due to the textures size 4094, the mesh itself is super simple.. diffuse spec and normal included- the upload here only allows for 30Mg, so i had to seperate the normal map to its own zip file.

jacketwrinkled.png

EDIT: After much fighting with blender i managed to finally get my wrinkle normal to mix with texture normal - so i have uploaded it here BlackjacketN (wrinkled).zip

i am much happier now that i got the normal map right, as i think it just adds some realism that was otherwise missing.
Attachments
BlackjacketN (wrinkled).zip
(18.25 MiB) Downloaded 496 times
blackjacket.zip
(15.31 MiB) Downloaded 512 times
BlackjacketN.zip
(17.69 MiB) Downloaded 626 times
o4saken

PreviousNext

Return to WIP (Work In Progress)