Normal and Occlusion Maps

Works in progress and technical screen shots.

Moderator: joepal

Re: Normal and Occlusion Maps

Postby o4saken » Mon May 22, 2017 5:21 am

punkduck wrote:I must admit, that I really like your work, O4saken.

only with the author's permission I can also put it into the assets and mention who is the author. Without permission I will do none of that ...

But this shirt should really be part of the assets ... because it looks very realistic.

You are more that welcome to post it to the repo, any help is much appreciated. as i do intend to get to putting them all there, but clearly there are a lot of things that i have yet to learn about using make clothes, this being vertex groups etc as you have done. so yes A HUGE thank you for the assist.

OH and very cool looking render!! love it.

On a side note, i have never really taken the time to learn Makeclothes fully, and this is only because i actually dont use the assets, if a am making a picture or art piece i model the clothes there and then in the scene to fit whatever i was trying to do. after which i sometimes then create an asset, or like most of these on this forum is when i am learning something to do with texturing or modelling that i will do an asset rather than try the experiment in an art scene i am making.
that all said though, i like what you did to this shirt, and you may have perhaps convinced me to take some time out and learn MC more in depth.
o4saken

Postby o4saken » Mon May 22, 2017 7:57 am

Very basic watch for Male characters
watchrender3.png

watchrend3er3.png
Attachments
watch.zip
(415.23 KiB) Downloaded 442 times
o4saken

Postby o4saken » Mon May 22, 2017 12:01 pm

Here is a very simple vein normal for anyone interested - i did this and this is indeed still a WIP - but its a good base to start with, i did some of the veins a bit strong but i was going for extreme, and these could later be adjusted depending on your character.. ie if its a very build person then he should have more veins.
If you find it is too strong, this is easily fixed, just open the map in photoshop or gimp, select a bit of the purple from the map as your colour pallet, then adjust the opacity of the paint brush to about 50% and brush over them - they will become much softer or if you wanted them removed then simple paint over them without opacity dropped.

Here are some render samples - please ignore the pixelated shading i.e the chin this is not from the map it is somehow something i get when using the base mesh model from make cloths without subdividing..
foorvein.png

handtopvein.png

neckvein.png
Attachments
veins.png
o4saken

Postby punkduck » Mon May 22, 2017 9:24 pm

o4saken wrote:
You are more that welcome to post it to the repo, any help is much appreciated. as i do intend to get to putting them all there, but clearly there are a lot of things that i have yet to learn about using make clothes, this being vertex groups etc as you have done. so yes A HUGE thank you for the assist.

OH and very cool looking render!! love it.

On a side note, i have never really taken the time to learn Makeclothes fully, and this is only because i actually dont use the assets, if a am making a picture or art piece i model the clothes there and then in the scene to fit whatever i was trying to do. after which i sometimes then create an asset, or like most of these on this forum is when i am learning something to do with texturing or modelling that i will do an asset rather than try the experiment in an art scene i am making.
that all said though, i like what you did to this shirt, and you may have perhaps convinced me to take some time out and learn MC more in depth.

No problem, I am happy to help. I uploaded the version which makes the picture I've done possible. That is without the spec-map or AO-map, because this map does not change a lot (nearly fully black) and the "hidden" pattern is not corresponding to the normal map. In this case it is sufficient to connect the input of the glossy shader to the diffuse map. I used the picture above as an example for your shirt (and did a small thumb also ;) ). And I changed the assets to CC BY ...

Today I started to work at a cos-play version of "Poison Ivy", but unfortunately this girl does not wear a dagger. So I'm still looking for a female villain to present this small weapon you did, but considering female villains I'm really a beginner. Just combine it with some lingerie is a bit too simple for me ... on the other side most of the girls I know are rather peaceful and for a Uma Thurman look-alike (kill bill) I need a bigger weapon ;)

One comment about the vein normals you did. If someone uses the normal-map he or she should NOT change the map, you can also simply set the factor to e.g. 0.5 instead of 1 in Blender. This will create the same effect.

Great work as always. I will try a few more assets you've done but I've the same problem as you have. Time is limited ... :?
punkduck

Postby o4saken » Tue May 23, 2017 12:55 pm

This is my first time using the rigid vertex group thing. So here is hoping it works.
Anyway though i would start with a very basic sword, see if i get it correct. as far as i can see this is working, which means that i can then move on to trying more detailed work.

The sword is modeled after a real sword :
503296424e44787800c92f9fd96262c4.jpg

sowrdrender.png

swordfullrender.png
Attachments
sword.zip
(860.34 KiB) Downloaded 420 times
o4saken

Postby o4saken » Tue May 23, 2017 1:45 pm

punkduck wrote:No problem, I am happy to help. I uploaded the version which makes the picture I've done possible. That is without the spec-map or AO-map, because this map does not change a lot (nearly fully black) and the "hidden" pattern is not corresponding to the normal map. In this case it is sufficient to connect the input of the glossy shader to the diffuse map. I used the picture above as an example for your shirt (and did a small thumb also ;) ). And I changed the assets to CC BY ...

Today I started to work at a cos-play version of "Poison Ivy", but unfortunately this girl does not wear a dagger. So I'm still looking for a female villain to present this small weapon you did, but considering female villains I'm really a beginner. Just combine it with some lingerie is a bit too simple for me ... on the other side most of the girls I know are rather peaceful and for a Uma Thurman look-alike (kill bill) I need a bigger weapon ;)

Great work as always. I will try a few more assets you've done but I've the same problem as you have. Time is limited ... :?

Thanks for that. i was looking at characters that might wear a dagger like that and the only thing i find similar is a female assassin type character.
something like this :
https://za.pinterest.com/pin/380343131005413250/
o4saken

Postby punkduck » Tue May 23, 2017 8:25 pm

These pictures are pure fantasy (or I've no background information about the characters displayed). But now you did a bigger weapon with your new sword and now the kill bill character IS an idea. These Tarantino films and characters are always something very special.

My characters should only pose for a photo-shooting, I'm working according to a well-known sentence in TV about animals: "no MakeHuman character will be harmed or killed in my production" :mrgreen: (and after mother's day pictures I can't do assassins :lol: )

Nevertheless I just started with the assets of a "Poison Ivy Cosplay" character and then maybe continue with the "kill bill" idea. And maybe inbetween I will look how the asymmetric dress you did will look on my characters. And my days should have 36 hours instead of 24 ..
punkduck

Postby o4saken » Wed May 24, 2017 7:51 am

More playing with the rigid vertex groups. Fantasy type shield.
SHIELD RENDER.png

I used the specular map for both spec and bump on my render.
Attachments
shield.zip
(654.37 KiB) Downloaded 404 times
o4saken

Postby o4saken » Wed May 24, 2017 10:34 am

I have been having so much fun sculpting and modelling in blender, its like therapy. And all this talk of Poison Ivy, i decided to have a bit of fun.
Here is yet another rigid vertex group item, this time a weapon made of flowers, something that i imagine poison ivy would have.

ivyweapon.png

ivyweapon2.png
Attachments
ivyweapon.zip
(5.97 MiB) Downloaded 356 times
o4saken

Postby o4saken » Wed May 24, 2017 1:41 pm

This is not the greatest of work, but once again time in not on my side. I was trying something, but it didnt really work. the biggest problem with this is the skin would need to flap, and well you cant use skin color as then it wont work on every model., but perhaps with a shirt with a hole and blood splatters it might look good.
the texture for the alien came from a website where you download free 3d models (nt sure i google searched for model), then the alien model itself was all tris, so i deleted it and then just quickly threw together my own one.
chestrender.png
Attachments
alien.zip
(7.47 MiB) Downloaded 509 times
o4saken

PreviousNext

Return to WIP (Work In Progress)