Normal and Occlusion Maps

Works in progress and technical screen shots.

Moderator: joepal

Re: Normal and Occlusion Maps

Postby o4saken » Fri Oct 05, 2018 12:34 pm

Some more exercises in sculpting and texture painting..

Tombraider inspired tanktop

render.png
Attachments
tanktop.zip
(8.38 MiB) Downloaded 659 times
o4saken

Postby o4saken » Tue Oct 09, 2018 12:50 pm

Sleeveless male denim jacket
this is just some more sculpting and texture painting practice - im quite proud of how this one turned out.
This one does have a Trans.png which plugs into the factor of the transparent node's mix shader to give the ripped sleeve effect.

render.png
Attachments
sleevelessjacket.zip
(6.49 MiB) Downloaded 658 times
o4saken

Postby MargaretToigo » Wed Oct 10, 2018 4:22 pm

I have been meaning to thank you so very much for sharing all these great assets, o4saken.

I love the stuff on this thread, it's like a hidden repository -- I stumbled it upon a few months ago via Google search while looking for info on normal and bump maps.

Even though I do mostly cartoons and not much photorealism -- I still use Blender internal just because I like the way its renders look -- I do use normals, transparencies and reflections to add details.

Beth.png
Beth is wearing the knit shirt and punkduck's Tight Jeans (recolored).

Thelma.png
Thelma is wearing the floral top and skirt -- this is one of my favorite outfits.

Felicia.png
Felicia is wearing the leather jacket and kitty skirt, plus punkduck's knee boots and spike collar.

Todd3.png
Todd is wearing the sleeveless vest, cargo pants and watch, and he's holding the roses as he waits for Felicia, who's almost always half dressed and late.
MargaretToigo

Postby o4saken » Thu Oct 11, 2018 6:37 am

MargaretToigo wrote:I have been meaning to thank you so very much for sharing all these great assets, o4saken.

I love the stuff on this thread, it's like a hidden repository -- I stumbled it upon a few months ago via Google search while looking for info on normal and bump maps.

Even though I do mostly cartoons and not much photorealism -- I still use Blender internal just because I like the way its renders look -- I do use normals, transparencies and reflections to add details.

These are great, Thank you for sharing these - i make all of these basically just for learning exercises and obviously because i enjoy it :) , and its always great to know that people actually enjoy the stuff i make. Loved your video on Youtube by the way - that must have been quite the project.
o4saken

Postby o4saken » Thu Oct 11, 2018 11:34 am

Fantasy dress - this is based on Lulu from final fantasy's outfit - only she has lots of belts under her dress, where i put an a-symmetrical cloth.
thought i would try sculpting her dress as it has the fur edges - like i was experimenting with a few months ago.

render.png
Attachments
fantasydress.zip
(9.19 MiB) Downloaded 611 times
o4saken

Postby MargaretToigo » Thu Oct 11, 2018 1:28 pm

o4saken wrote:These are great, Thank you for sharing these - i make all of these basically just for learning exercises and obviously because i enjoy it :) , and its always great to know that people actually enjoy the stuff i make. Loved your video on Youtube by the way - that must have been quite the project.

Most of what I've shared here are the results of experiments and hacking around in Blender. Lately I've been practicing making good topology and proper UV unwrapping/mapping.

I get a thrill whenever I see that someone used something I made. I like to see what variations people come up with, how they incorporate my works into their own artistic style.

That video was real world work, with a deadline and everything. I would never have had the skills to make it if it weren't for all the unpaid playing around I do in between work projects.

To some, it may look like a big waste of time to spend days working on little details that will be seen for a few seconds -- by the few who notice them at all -- but It is said that one needs to spend ten thousand hours working and studying a subject in order to become an expert in that subject, so I think it's time well spent.
MargaretToigo

Postby o4saken » Mon Oct 22, 2018 9:23 am

Patched Jeans with hanging chain.

This was a more complicated texture painting exercise - it takes long to do, but the results are definitely worth it even though i still cant get it perfect.
render.png

render2.png

render3.png
Attachments
patchedjeans.zip
(25.43 MiB) Downloaded 647 times
o4saken

Postby blindsaypatten » Tue Oct 23, 2018 2:26 am

I couldn't resist seeing what it would look like with the Principled shader metallic property:
nonmetalchain.jpg
Original non-metal material

Interestingly, whatever produced the smaller preview images pretty much removed the metallic look, you have to click on it to see the full res picture to really see the difference, which is dramatic.
metalchain.jpg
With Principal shader, metalic=1, roughness=.05

metalchainRpt3.jpg
With Principle shader, metallic=1, roughness=.3

Maybe I should have posted the .png versions, the .jpg has degraded them a little, but the files are so much smaller.
A smaller sample:
metalcloseup.png

When I was selecting the chain I found out that each link is it's own separate mesh, Ctrl-L wouldn't spread between links!
blindsaypatten

Postby o4saken » Tue Oct 23, 2018 6:27 am

blindsaypatten wrote:
When I was selecting the chain I found out that each link is it's own separate mesh, Ctrl-L wouldn't spread between links!

Haha :) there is a trick to selecting funny things like that which i use a lot - and that is in edit mode select all (A) then move to the UV layout
( for my example i am using the diffuse texture, obviously the UV will be layed out over this), in UV layout make sure everything is selected, then unselect the chain part ( here being the square between the legs - i usually use (C) for circle select then middle mouse button over the part to unselect) now with everything except the chain part selected in the UV press (H) this essentially hides all the selected - so if you move back to object now only the chain will be selected.

Capture.PNG

That is the method i use - but i suppose due to the fact that all the chain links are the same the proper way would be to- in edit mode with face select , select one of the chains links , then click select at bottom of screen, select similar, face regions - and then the whole chain would be selected.

*** That shader node is really impressive, thanks for sharing.
Think i need to update my blender - im still on 2.79 (at work anyways) - and it obviously doesnt have the principled shader which is simply awesome. so i just end up using the anisotropic shader node.
o4saken

Postby blindsaypatten » Tue Oct 23, 2018 1:56 pm

Thanks for the tips!

Btw, the principled shader is available in the recent builds of 2.79. Certainly an easier upgrade than 2.8 which will break lots of MH stuff.
blindsaypatten

PreviousNext

Return to WIP (Work In Progress)