Normal and Occlusion Maps

Works in progress and technical screen shots.

Moderator: joepal

Re: Normal and Occlusion Maps

Postby o4saken » Thu May 25, 2017 6:08 am

This is very simple eyebrow ring, but it is something i needed for a character once before thus i had it and i just decided to make it into an asset.
it does have a texture, but to look decent you would need to change the material from diffuse to anisotropic
eyebrow.png
Attachments
eyebrowring.zip
(45.58 KiB) Downloaded 390 times
o4saken

Postby o4saken » Thu May 25, 2017 10:17 am

After making the Shield, i decided i wanted a decent ( as best as i could) looking fantasy sword. i like it, especially the details on the handle.
swordrender.png

swordrender1.png

swordrender2.png

above picture is me having fun, the vein normal i did is set to 4 in the picture - overkill :)
Attachments
elfsword.zip
(7.14 MiB) Downloaded 546 times
o4saken

Postby punkduck » Thu May 25, 2017 8:23 pm

O4saken, you are too fast for me ... I just managed to build kneeboots, recolored the ballet tights and did a strapless bodysuit (+ NormalMaps for suit and boots and there will be a non-costume version for the repo also).

And I started with the ivy leaf using the ivy-generator of Blender. I had some trouble with the scale in the beginning. But I managed it by scaling down the MakeHuman character (10:1), then I created the ivy and after all I resized only the ivy back to the normal size and reloaded the female without helpers.

But I'm not yet satisfied with the result (texture problems etc), but for today I will give up. Maybe I need also to create some arm sleeves and will recolor the hair, when my character is doing the cosplay pictures.

So I'm sorry, no rendered picture. I only add a picture from MakeHuman to show "evi goes ivy" ;) in construction mode. I hope there will be more at this weekend. I will then also use your "flower-weapon".

evi_goes_ivy.jpg
punkduck

Postby o4saken » Fri May 26, 2017 7:30 am

punkduck wrote:O4saken, you are too fast for me ... I just managed to build kneeboots,

And I started with the ivy leaf using the ivy-generator of Blender. I had some trouble with the scale in the beginning. But I managed it by scaling down the MakeHuman character (10:1), then I created the ivy and after all I resized only the ivy back to the normal size and reloaded the female without helpers.

But I'm not yet satisfied with the result (texture problems etc),

Its looking quite interesting though. The Ivy generator i find it to be a bit random - it works well for hanging on walls etc, but can imagine it is difficult to do on clothes. i would have simply found an image of an ivy leaf, made a plane, map the leaf to to plane, using a transparent node to keep only the leaf so as not to see the plane, then duplicated this and size and rotate all over the model to fit where you wanted.. i just imagine its might give you more control. But you would have to add some bezier curves as well wrapped around the legs to make some vines.

But yes waiting in suspense to see how this turns out.. :)
o4saken

Postby o4saken » Fri May 26, 2017 9:12 am

This is what i am busy with at the moment - this is the basic model done, now i need to attack texturing, and normal maps to add some fine details, screws etc.
also it wont be these colors, i just through this on because it doesnt have a texture, but i want black rubber between joints etc. oh and i need to work on where the arm joins the mech... more cables etc, undecided at this point.
mechhand.png

EDIT Some extra modeling work done on the mech hand:
mechhand.png
o4saken

Postby punkduck » Sun May 28, 2017 10:49 pm

Hi O4saken,

Here is my version of Poison Ivy (Evi as cosplay character). I just put her in front of a concrete wall. The Ivy was created with the generator but I needed 8 hours to change the structure, so that the ivy does not intersect with the character, the leaf does not float above the structure, to create 4 different leaves instead of one and so on ... doing everything manually would have been the same time I gues :roll:

evi_cosplay3.jpg

I added 2 further pictures at the end of the "daily life of models" in the gallery. In between I created a bit of nature, which obviously is the better environment for Poison Ivy. These are the pictures in the gallery ...
http://www.makehumancommunity.org/forum/download/file.php?id=4887&mode=view
http://www.makehumancommunity.org/forum/download/file.php?id=4886&mode=view

I will upload the assets in a few days. Should I upload the "flower sword" also? Because, when I additionally upload a special redhead material for the alpha7 hairstyle curly 2 every MakeHuman user can create his/her own vesion of Poison Ivy ...

Btw. the robot arm is an idea of doing a robo cop character or something like that. I guess it is possible. Nevertheless I will try that kill bill girl next ... I will leave the male superheroes and villaines up to the girls and/or real artists ;)
punkduck

Postby o4saken » Mon May 29, 2017 5:17 am

punkduck wrote:Hi O4saken,

I will upload the assets in a few days. Should I upload the "flower sword" also? Because, when I additionally upload a special redhead material for the alpha7 hairstyle curly 2 every MakeHuman user can create his/her own vesion of Poison Ivy ...

Btw. the robot arm is an idea of doing a robo cop character or something like that. I guess it is possible. Nevertheless I will try that kill bill girl next ... I will leave the male superheroes and villaines up to the girls and/or real artists ;)

Very nice, the Ivy came out really nice actually, i especially like how the vines look. Well done. The ones where she is in the garden are especially cute.
Oh and you are welcome once again to upload my assets, in this case the flower sword to the user contrib section. Thanks again.
o4saken

Postby o4saken » Mon May 29, 2017 10:53 am

OK so i am calling the mecharm as done now that it is textured... but i need some help, how exactly would i setup the vertex groups on this, obviously it needs to delete the actual hand, so delete groups, but if i use the rigid group to bind it to the top of the arm (to scale correctly) would the bones still work to move the fingers?
mechrender.png

mechrender2.png

lightsmech.png
Quick render showing the light panels lit up in dark.

OK so in the meantime here is guessing, so what i did what not use rigid group, but assigned most of the arm to the delete group, except the band that connects to the human arm, this i made my own vertex group called mecharm and assigned it to that... hopefully i did this correct, if not shout :)
Attachments
mecharm.zip
(4.37 MiB) Downloaded 411 times
o4saken

Postby jwc » Mon May 29, 2017 7:59 pm

In order to follow the fingers the mech-hand would need to be made from individual groups. Each group would then be attached as a three vertex rigid body to the matching body finger section.
It gets tedious to do this for hands and feet, and you may have an issue with the flexible sections at the joints.
As you described your rigid attachment, it will follow the upper arm position only.
As a non-rigid piece of clothing, it will act like a glove, and may fold or distort in some places.

You might be happy with just matching the upper arm, lower arm, and hand position, and let the fingers stay rigid. Only the elbow and wrist would need to have some type of intersecting folds.
Last edited by jwc on Tue May 30, 2017 12:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
jwc

Postby jwc » Mon May 29, 2017 8:13 pm

Additional thought:
Another possibility, possibly simpler, is to make the arm a proxy.
That way the folding at joints can be handled the same way it is done with skin.

I'm not familiar with that procedure, hopefully someone else can offer assistance.
jwc

PreviousNext

Return to WIP (Work In Progress)