Normal and Occlusion Maps

Works in progress and technical screen shots.

Moderator: joepal

Re: Normal and Occlusion Maps

Postby Aranuvir » Fri Jan 27, 2017 9:21 am

Great work, though you strongly need a gloss map, too :D
Aranuvir

Postby o4saken » Mon Jan 30, 2017 11:17 am

This weekend i wanted to work on the Blackswan makeup, then i ended up playing with the eyes instead. I will come back to the make up though.
anyways this is the eye texture i did. i over exaggerated the bump to show in example

eye.png

green.png

brown.png

blue.png

turquoise.png

red.png

bump.png

I do find MH eyes to be quite difficult to work with - this could just be me, but what is hard is to have the transparent part of the eye not be completely transparent but show up as clear glossy over the iris. and then still have the actual eye look wet and glossy.

Perhaps someone here can show a good eye shader node setup.

eye2.png

Untitled.001.png

Think i figured it out, first is to assign the texture to the eye, once that is finished then go into edit mode, select only the outside faces of the eye, and change that to glass. this creates a glass sphere around the actual textured eye..

Update: I softened the edges of the iris for the green texture
green2.png
o4saken

Postby o4saken » Wed Feb 08, 2017 1:18 pm

I learned something new today looking at Pixars Renderman documentation, and in it they cover doing skin etc, and then for the eyes they dont use a difuse texture, they use anisotrophic for the iris, and what a difference that makes.

eyetest.png
o4saken

Postby o4saken » Fri Feb 10, 2017 10:31 am

So i decided to have a look at ManuelLab today, and see what i think of it.
The shading and textures are amazing, but i find it very hard to pose the model without a rig.

So then i took the MakeHuman Model, and very quickly aligned it with the ManuelLab model, this would have to be done perfectly, making sure they fit the same space. It is however possible, thinking if you export the MH model with a T-pose and then use Manuellab with a T-pose, then just adjust the Manuellab model characteristics till both MH and ML models are almost 100% the same. Then use shrink wrap on the MH model, this should further push the similarity. All this then finally you could bake the textures from ML to MH uv layout.

here is an example of my very quick attempt at this. only using the displacement and set a bit too high just to show.
bumptest.png

displacement.png

the Subdermal for SSS works quite nice, but again you would have to align it perfectly as there is an issue by the eyes. (or photoshop it)
subdermal.png
o4saken

Postby jujube » Sat Feb 11, 2017 5:44 am

If you want, I could send you my blend files where I was trying to match up the MH and manlab models, then you could apply the textures there. (my super disorganized messy blend projects)

edit: offering to send it to you, because it look a loooooooot of tinkering and editing to try and get these things shrinkwrapped in a way that didn't wreck the topology. (Although that was when I was doing it with the base mesh... when I used the caucasian male/female humans, I made decent looking proxies, at least on the face, but only when the caucasian slider + correct gender slider was on.

also, we should all get together and pester manuel to make it so you can blend between different races. It's easy to do via exporting and blend shapes, why doesn't he just make it official? The lack of blender/race blending is really the only thing now that manuel doesnt have that makes it a dealbreaker.

(I'd love to have a gender slider in manlab, but the male and female models use different topology. You could use shrinkwrapping to make masculinizing/feminizing targets... except, more like manuel could; I don't believe you can make your own targets in manlab. Thats the other big weakness it has. Makehuman is just more democratic.)
jujube

Postby o4saken » Tue Feb 14, 2017 6:10 am

jujube wrote:If you want, I could send you my blend files where I was trying to match up the MH and manlab models, then you could apply the textures there. (my super disorganized messy blend projects)

Sure i will definitely have a look at the blend files see what textures i can extract
o4saken

Postby o4saken » Thu Mar 02, 2017 1:06 pm

Cargo pants

The Texture is from http://junkymana.deviantart.com/art/Nat ... -593407476
The pants itself i modelled in blender and had to make the UV map work on the textures.

Also i dont have MakeHuman at work, so i can guarantee the textures arent working (perhaps only the diffuse), normally i would go into MH and edit the texture and then re save... But i have included them here in the ZIP, as the preview render results are done in blender with all textures plugged in.

pants2.png

pants1.png

pants.png
Attachments
cargopants2.zip
(2.9 MiB) Downloaded 541 times
o4saken

Postby jujube » Fri Mar 03, 2017 5:04 pm

It's been a while, but I can make up for it by sharing all these things:

new basemesh v7 shrinkwrap: I created an androgynous, mixed race blending of the original base meshes and attempted to shrinkwrap it to the MH mesh. This one has lots of weird jagged edges, but versions 1-6 were much worse.

caucaisan female base: only works on the caucasian female MH mesh
asian male base: only works on the caucasian(!) male MH mesh
I fitted these to the caucasian meshes that came with maketarget/makeclothes, but this was before I made my basemesh target for maketarget; the manuellab models didn't match up with the unmodified base.obj

a weird test4: using the androgyne-ified manlab mesh again, but this time using it to create a target instead of a proxy. (you can't actually combine this and the proxy, sadly, it just makes it more jagged)

target first then match them.blend
I'm not sure what I was doing here... based on the name I must have followed my own suggestion and tried using a target to assist in making a topology.

manlab MH target.blend
Just what it says, this is the blend file I used to make a manlab target. By painstakingly making targets for bits and pieces at a time. I don't think I got past the lips.

humanoid_library (2).blend
This is where I was making the proxies. There's a lot of mess in here... I was studying the topology of manuel's meshes, trying to match them up and trying to see how exactly they differ from the makehuman mesh.

(I approve of your cargo pants, by the way. The naysayers said there was no point in making ungirly fashions...)
Attachments
MH things.zip
three proxies and a target
(4.19 MiB) Downloaded 485 times
blend files.rar
very messy blend files full of stuff
(29.64 MiB) Downloaded 464 times
jujube

Postby CallHarvey3d » Fri Mar 03, 2017 6:44 pm

thanks for sharing! the cargo pants look great, the proxies will come in handy.
could be a problem on my end but im having problems downloading the blend files. "unexpected end of archive"
CallHarvey3d

Postby jujube » Sat Mar 04, 2017 1:39 am

CallHarvey3d wrote:thanks for sharing! the cargo pants look great, the proxies will come in handy.
could be a problem on my end but im having problems downloading the blend files. "unexpected end of archive"

I extracted the copy on my computer and it works fine... but checking the one on the forum, it's downloading really slowly.
Or it appears that it does, but then it stops early. In the loading bar in chrome, it says it wants to download 29 MB, but stops abruptly at 6.5 MB. So I'm assuming there's something wrong with the download.

(google tells me an MiB is only slightly smaller than an MB.. hmm...)

edit: When unzipping the downloaded file, it tells me "end of archive" too, but it also says the humanoid_library is corrupted. When I go and browse the archive, that blend file is the only one in the folder! So it's definitely stopping partway through the download.
jujube

PreviousNext

Return to WIP (Work In Progress)