Normal and Occlusion Maps

Works in progress and technical screen shots.

Moderator: joepal

Re: Normal and Occlusion Maps

Postby joepal » Tue Mar 07, 2017 8:54 am

As a general head's up, without pointing fingers at anyone: While it is perfectly fine to adapt stuff from outside sources to work for MH, it is up to the user(s) to make sure that all copyrights and licenses are followed. That includes following the chain back to its origin.

For example, if someone at site B has ripped assets from commercial copyrighted 64-page EULA game A, and user C then adapts the assets from site B and post them here, then it doesn't matter if B and C says "sure, do whatever you want with these", because the assets are still bound by the license from source A.

My approach is to not censor these forums, nor moderate any assets. If I get a takedown request for something, I'll simply compy with that, no much harm done. In my view it is up to the individual authors to make sure they don't violate any licenses. But it should be noted that this also means that I in no way guarrantee that everything you find here is unproblematic to use in all contexts.
Joel Palmius (LinkedIn)
MakeHuman Infrastructure Manager
http://www.palmius.com/joel
joepal

Postby o4saken » Tue Mar 07, 2017 1:08 pm

joepal wrote:As a general head's up, without pointing fingers at anyone: While it is perfectly fine to adapt stuff from outside sources to work for MH, it is up to the user(s) to make sure that all copyrights and licenses are followed. That includes following the chain back to its origin.

Very true. Normally i would not use ripped models for this reason, i started playing with them mainly to see how the textures work, then found they are made completely of tris, so i started playing with them to learn to change tris to quads. after my learning curve, i had the models and thus thought i would post them, also because the assets i have used are not 100% from the games.

- the "NateJacket" as much as it came from a Nate model, it was a modified model where Nate was wearing casual clothes - these clothes were not part of the game.
- the hair obviously was part of Nate or rather a model made to look like nate, but its hair and mens hair only has so many styles - i think unless you are going to put it on a model that looks like Nate i am pretty sure it is not going to look like him - but yes " Grey area"
- the cargo pants, again i feel pants are pants they only come in so many styles, as much as it looks similar to Nates it is definately not the same, and this i did model myself in blender
- the shirt from logan "wolverine origins" - was also modified model of Logan wearing this shirt, and is not really a shirt used in the game, the game was mainly a sleeveless vest or shirtless
o4saken

Postby Aranuvir » Tue Mar 07, 2017 2:02 pm

Again, we do not want to blame any specific user!
I don't know much about copyright laws, and they vary from country to country. If some recreates a model from scratch in the sense of fan art, I'd be quite relaxed and would like to see what happens. I think the problems start, e.g. if on a recreated game asset trousers every wrinkle is identical to the original asset and the uv-map and the textures are identical, too.
Aranuvir

Postby CallHarvey3d » Tue Mar 07, 2017 2:34 pm

so i shouldn't dump my ripped assets? hmm is there a place where it would not cause MH a headache to share such assets? not like personal as in personal drop box account but like other open forums or sites?
CallHarvey3d

Postby joepal » Tue Mar 07, 2017 2:49 pm

CallHarvey3d wrote:so i shouldn't dump my ripped assets? hmm is there a place where it would not cause MH a headache to share such assets? not like personal as in personal drop box account but like other open forums or sites?

Don't worry. I'm not saying you can't share stuff here. And as Aranuvir says, I'm not criticizing anyone. I just want to encourage people to think an extra time about what they should do to live up to implicit or derived license terms.

This server, me and my company (which is the legal representative for MH) are all located in sweden. I can't really see any scenario in which it'd cause any real problems for me that someone uploaded something that when thinking about it might have theoretical issues when compared to an original set of license terms. This said, I obviously prefer that things that end up here are mostly kosher, if nothing else so that it doesn't cause problems for someone else down the line.

(And again, the last part is not necessarily an objection against anything so far posted in this thread).
Joel Palmius (LinkedIn)
joepal

Postby o4saken » Wed Mar 08, 2017 2:44 pm

shirtran.png

shirt.png

Decided to try do a simple top, using what i have learned from the ripped textures.
Included in the zip are all the textures, AO, Bump, Spec etc, there is also a transparent factor texture, this is not perfect i was playing to see what it would look like.
Attachments
shirt.001.zip
(16.86 MiB) Downloaded 666 times
o4saken

---

Postby DredNicolson » Wed Mar 08, 2017 2:56 pm

I use absolute filepaths instead of relative when working with makeclothes. This fixes most if not all of the annoying "image not found" errors.
DredNicolson

Postby joepal » Wed Mar 08, 2017 4:09 pm

o4saken wrote:Decided to try do a simple top, using what i have learned from the ripped textures.

Your definition of "simple" is obviously very different than mine. :-) That's really beatiful.
Joel Palmius (LinkedIn)
joepal

Postby loki1950 » Wed Mar 08, 2017 4:52 pm

The mesh is simple ;) but it's all in the texturing well done.

Enjoy the Choice :)
my box::HP Envy i5-6400 @2Q70GHzx4 8 Gb ram/1 Tb(Win10 64)/3 Tb Mint 19.2/GTX745 4Gb acer S243HL K222HQL
Q8200/Asus P5QDLX/8 Gb ram/WD 2Tb 2-500 G HD/GF GT640 2Gb Mint 17.3 64 bit Win 10 32 bit acer and Lenovo Ideapad 320-15ABR Win 10/Mint 19
loki1950

Postby wolgade » Wed Mar 08, 2017 6:02 pm

loki1950 wrote:The mesh is simple ;) but it's all in the texturing well done.

Exactly. These images are perfect for demonstrating why textures matter. Looks great.
wolgade

PreviousNext

Return to WIP (Work In Progress)