Normal and Occlusion Maps

Works in progress and technical screen shots.

Moderator: joepal

Re: Normal and Occlusion Maps

Postby o4saken » Fri Jan 19, 2018 9:55 am

OK so after a very long time :) i finally done with the hair - when i say done i mean happy enough to share it - but i still feel its not perfect.

The head band everything is part of the hair, and i am just using the image texture itself as a bump in my render.

jack.png

jackhair.zip
(6.82 MiB) Downloaded 516 times
o4saken

Postby o4saken » Mon Jan 22, 2018 5:31 am

Playing with AMASAWA tools hair generator (because this is what i used to make Jack's hair), and learnt a few things, using only 20 - 30 hair strands, then adding a few children to allow for more adjustments - randomness etc. the tool does a fairly good job, its not 100% but it gives so many hair "strands" that its easy enough to duplicate one or two and use it to hide the hair line and fill in the gaps that you might have.

here was a very quick test. i think itf one had to just put a bit more effort into cleaning up the result one gets from the tool one could get quite nice hair styles.

hairtest.png

shortblondehair.zip
(907.22 KiB) Downloaded 475 times
o4saken

Postby o4saken » Wed Feb 14, 2018 8:45 am

More playing arround with AMASAWA tools. trying to do long curly hair - its not bad, i like the hair style, but texturing the hair proves more difficult than one would think - but i guess this is due to me using the tool to do the hair and thus all the hair "strands"use the same area on the texture map - where in order to get really good results you would normally have a few different clumps of hair for the texture and not just 1.

blonde.png

blonde1.png
Attachments
blondehair.zip
(1.85 MiB) Downloaded 437 times
o4saken

Postby o4saken » Fri Feb 23, 2018 9:48 am

Male long hair completed.
A note on the texture - it includes a normal ,specularity (for factor of gloss node) and diffuse - the diffuse has an alpha channel, but i included a TRANS.png which is black and white that i use for the factor of the transparent node - like most of my assets, this is only because i find it gives a cleaner edge to the texture where it becomes transparent. this trans.png is however not plugged in by default because i couldnt figure how to connect it in blender internal.
One more note is i tried for the first time to add some weight paint to the hair - dont really know what im doing so i might have painted it inverse (i.e. the heavier parts should be lighter and vice versa - not sure)?
hair.png
Attachments
malelonghair.zip
(13.25 MiB) Downloaded 461 times
o4saken

Postby o4saken » Mon Feb 26, 2018 8:00 am

Did some more work on the texture for the hair last night. using my tablet i drew many more thinner strands to each texture, to make it more realistic and not so chunky, then i also adjusted the layer colours quite a lot because when i started this model i wanted slightly grey hair, but then i didnt really like the end result so now i have removed the grey. I think i am done with it now, i am very happy with the result.
I am leaving the old version above in case anyone wants the grey texture - but be warned that both versions textures have the same name so you would not be able to have both.

hair2.png
Attachments
malelonghair.zip
(12.27 MiB) Downloaded 484 times
o4saken

Postby punkduck » Mon Feb 26, 2018 8:07 pm

o4saken wrote:Did some more work on the texture for the hair last night. using my tablet i drew many more thinner strands to each texture, to make it more realistic and not so chunky, then i also adjusted the layer colours quite a lot because when i started this model i wanted slightly grey hair, but then i didnt really like the end result so now i have removed the grey. I think i am done with it now, i am very happy with the result.
I am leaving the old version above in case anyone wants the grey texture - but be warned that both versions textures have the same name so you would not be able to have both.

I just tested it, I added an additional "materials" folder and copied a modified mhmat-file with a new name in this directory and also the new HAIRBROWN1 and HAIRSPEC pngs. Only when exporting both to Blender the latest file will be overwritten. In this case people should simply change the names of the 2 different files ...

For those, who want to see a better effect in MakeHuman also, here is my .mhmat file for the hair.

Code: Select all
# Material definition for 25_hair_1_0_0Material

name 25_hair_1_0_0Material
description Malelonghair material
ambientColor 0.509803921569 0.509803921569 0.509803921569
diffuseColor 1.0 1.0 1.0
specularColor 0.274509803922 0.274509803922 0.274509803922
shininess 0.1961
emissiveColor 0.0 0.0 0.0
opacity 0.0
translucency 0.0

shadeless False
wireframe False
transparent True
alphaToCoverage True
backfaceCull False
depthless False

castShadows True

receiveShadows True

diffuseTexture HAIRBROWN1.png
normalmapTexture HAIRNORMAL1.png
normalmapIntensity 1.0
specularmapTexture HAIRSPEC.png
specularmapIntensity 1.0
transparencymapTexture TRANS.png
transparencymapIntensity 1.0

shader shaders/glsl/litsphere

shaderParam litsphereTexture litspheres/lit_refl_sharp_aniso_hard.png

shaderConfig ambientOcclusion False
shaderConfig normal True
shaderConfig bump True
shaderConfig displacement False
shaderConfig vertexColors False
shaderConfig spec True
shaderConfig transparency True
shaderConfig diffuse True

Great work, o4saken!
punkduck

Postby o4saken » Tue Feb 27, 2018 5:56 am

this is just a random test but i actually like the result a lot. - i changed the 1 diffuse shader for 2 hair shaders in blender, 1 for transmission and the other for reflection.
it honestly looks more like hair than just using the diffuse. perhaps a bit dark, but i am sure if you added a brightness contrast node, you would be able to play with the result more.
hair.png

** Thanks for the help there Punkduck.
o4saken

Postby o4saken » Tue Feb 27, 2018 7:40 am

Finished the male moustache today - adjusted the scale in certain places where in my previous render you could see that the hair was far from the face, this happened because i couldn't figure out why i kept getting black faces and thought it was going into the human, so i pulled it further out. Then i figured out that it has to do with blenders light paths and this needed to be set higher in order to get a clean render and had nothing to do with the proximity of the skin, so i pushed it back.

then once again there is a black and white mustachetrans.png - this is the image i use as the factor for transparent node even though the diffuse texture is made with an alpha channel - the alpha channel pixelates as it meets the texture, so to get a clean transparent use the supplied black and white png.

oh and dont forget to adjust the lightpath transparency to about 20 for min and max - found under the render tab. or it will look like black squares.

beard.png
Attachments
malemustache.zip
(185 KiB) Downloaded 409 times
o4saken

Postby o4saken » Wed Feb 28, 2018 7:57 am

tried to do the eye caruncle, its such a small little thing but it does make a huge difference when looking at models.
over all i think it came out ok.
(its the pink thing in the corner of the eyes :) )

caruncle.png
Attachments
caruncle.zip
(27.66 KiB) Downloaded 395 times
o4saken

Postby o4saken » Tue Mar 06, 2018 1:33 pm

Working on Camera Lens eyes.. I like the diffuse that was the easy part but working hard on the normal map.
Anyway thought i would put the diffuse texture up for anyone interested.

camera.png
Attachments
camera.png
o4saken

PreviousNext

Return to WIP (Work In Progress)