More detailed male model texture

Works in progress and technical screen shots.

Moderator: joepal

Re: More detailed male model texture

Postby o4saken » Mon Nov 16, 2015 6:16 am

learning wrote:Yeah, without normal map it looks better and the seams are less prominent (only on the top of the head there's a visible scar). The problem with ears and left cheek is still there.

Thanks for that, yes i noticed that the left side of the head doesnt translate to the body... will fix that asap. Will remove the "Scar" i never bothered with that because for myself i would use particle system and put hair on the head.
o4saken

Postby o4saken » Mon Nov 16, 2015 12:49 pm

OK so i have reworked the face... the cheek is no longer that dark. i have tried to blend some more of the seams ( this is proving difficult with the way the uv map is cut, some large parts match up with smaller parts and you have to somehow make it blend..)

Anyways, here is a picture of the cheek as it now is, and the updated texture

EDIT: Older post textures have been deleted
Attachments
cheekpng.png
Last edited by o4saken on Thu Nov 19, 2015 3:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
o4saken

Postby joepal » Tue Nov 17, 2015 9:04 am

New rotation study:

rotate2.avi
(5.16 MiB) Downloaded 477 times

The model is a vanilla export where the only moved slider is gender. Vanilla texture is "middleage caucasian male".
Joel Palmius (LinkedIn)
MakeHuman Infrastructure Manager
http://www.palmius.com/joel
joepal

Postby o4saken » Tue Nov 17, 2015 9:20 am

joepal wrote:New rotation study:

Thanks.. I think its looking rather good - considering that this was something i started for myself and it was fine for my purposes but thanks to everyone who made me push it even further.. The Normal Bump map is still an issue... it works if used in blender, but in makehuman its way too strong and has seams... im going to try playing with this on the weekend.. just i need to figure out how one would remove the seams.

I tried to do a HD render so that its possible to see the veins and skin texture.. but on my work computer it slowed the computer like crazy... anyways this is what i got out
Attachments
HD.png
o4saken

Postby o4saken » Tue Nov 17, 2015 1:29 pm

Here is quite a nice render of the chest, i am really happy with the detail on the skin
Attachments
chest.png
o4saken

Postby learning » Tue Nov 17, 2015 2:29 pm

Yeah, now everything is perfect, without any visible defects. Maybe if you do whatever magic you did here to the normal map, it will look even better?
learning

Postby joepal » Tue Nov 17, 2015 4:37 pm

A few more renders. An idle question is what you think about situations where light comes from the bottom right of the image. As seen in that render it doesn't look totally odd, so it's just a question.

vanilla.png

thinmuscular.png

fatmuscular.png

bottomright.png
Joel Palmius (LinkedIn)
joepal

Postby o4saken » Wed Nov 18, 2015 6:28 am

joepal wrote:An idle question is what you think about situations where light comes from the bottom right of the image.

I have been contemplating the light situation, and that is a difficult one, because to draw something more detailed and realistic, one would normally add highlights and occlusions, however, your light source is then bound to how you have drawn the occlusions. Thus in my skin i really removed quite a lot of it, The bit that is there is left as it defines the shape... but yes it is to an extent still subject to light angles... and for the life of me i don't know how you would remove it completely (unless the model mesh itself is extremely detailed).

I think the whole issue comes with the fact that i tried to do this as a generic skin, which one could use in many situations, where in reality i think one would work on a texture to fit a specific type of render
o4saken

Postby o4saken » Wed Nov 18, 2015 6:33 am

[quote="joepal"][/quote] How come in renders you do the models don't really have belly buttons, is that normally how they look? looking at that it just makes me want to add some detail there. what do you think?
o4saken

Postby joepal » Wed Nov 18, 2015 8:29 am

o4saken wrote:How come in renders you do the models don't really have belly buttons, is that normally how they look? looking at that it just makes me want to add some detail there. what do you think?

I have no idea. I didn't do anything about it. It's there as a mesh deformation, but not particularly strong.

bb.png
bb.png (71.09 KiB) Viewed 5968 times

o4saken wrote:... and for the life of me i don't know how you would remove it completely (unless the model mesh itself is extremely detailed)

Well, the usual solution would be to not try to represent shadowing at all in the diffuse texture. Instead, the definition of muscle contours would be delegated to the bump map. The diffuse map would only represent color shifts (veins, hairs, darker and lighter skin areas...).

This way the shadows would be calculated in the render rather than at the point of defining the textures.
Joel Palmius (LinkedIn)
joepal

PreviousNext

Return to WIP (Work In Progress)