How do to make clothes without using blender?

Works in progress and technical screen shots.

Moderator: joepal

How do to make clothes without using blender?

Postby devrich » Tue Jan 27, 2015 2:51 pm

I am _not_ disrespecting blender in any way so blender fans please don't be angry at me :)

I have purchased other modeling software that I have been using very efficiently for years and would like to use them to produce 3D clothes and assets for MakeHuman models. My usual 3D asset pipeline has traditionally been to create/modify and/or animate 3D objects using FragMotion and then export to Ultimate Unwrap then export to my 3D rendering/gaming application.

Everything I've come accross so far in the docs or on the forums has been geared to use blender to create clothes but is there a tutorial on how to use other 3D software to make clothes for MakeHuman models?
Don't settle for what someone else made -- upPIC your own [:.:] at: http://DevRich78.com/upPIC
devrich

Re: How do to make clothes without using blender?

Postby joepal » Tue Jan 27, 2015 3:37 pm

Well, the "MakeClothes" program is implemented as a blender plugin. So it's kind of difficult to run it elsewhere.

This said, there's no problem in doing everything except the final step (the production of the .mhclo file) in any other program that is able to export to a format which is then importable in blender.

To work in another program, first import "base.obj" (which should be somewhere in the data directory of the makehuman installation), or export a vanilla character from MH and then import it in your program.

Then model the clothes so that they fit the vanilla character.

Save your clothes as wavefront obj.

Open blender and import your obj file.

Click the required buttons in order to convert the clothes mesh to a .mhclo file.
Joel Palmius (LinkedIn)
MakeHuman Infrastructure Manager
http://www.palmius.com/joel
joepal

Postby devrich » Tue Jan 27, 2015 3:59 pm

Hey thanks joepal ! I'm going to give that a go.

My blender story is a pretty sad one that i'd explain to you or the MH team over PM if you guys want to know. But surfice it to say that since 2010 i have been avoiding blender after a bad experience with it. ...Nowadays though... I have been giving considerable thought for the past few months to buy a used computer and get into blender on it ( blender machine ). After all; i am primarily using Linux for the past couple of years now and trying very hard to completely get AWAY from windows entirely (for personal reasons). Unfortionately; some of the best software I've ever used was written for windows-only by some extemely talented independant software developers, hence: dilemma :(
Don't settle for what someone else made -- upPIC your own [:.:] at: http://DevRich78.com/upPIC
devrich

Postby learning » Tue Jan 27, 2015 8:04 pm

By the way: is there any kind of list of measurements for MH base human? If there is something like this, you could just model you piece of clothing in any kind of clothing making software with those measurements in mind and then be sure it fits. Alternatively, you can export the base mesh as .obj and use it as a reference if you make clothes in some 3d modeling software.

If you do this, then you only need blender to put the clothing onto the mesh and run the script. Not very much of rocket science in terms of blender skills. Also, it is important to note that you don't need Linux to use blender, as it runs well on pretty much anything short of kitchen sink!
learning

Postby duststorm » Tue Jan 27, 2015 8:15 pm

There is a measurement tab that shows you some body metrics.
MakeHuman™ developer
duststorm

Return to WIP (Work In Progress)