Working on some new hair for MH 1.1

Works in progress and technical screen shots.

Moderator: joepal

Re: Working on some new hair for MH 1.1

Postby devrich » Sun Jan 25, 2015 2:54 pm

I half registered for a user account on these forums specificly to say Super Awesome job Manuel! :D
Don't settle for what someone else made -- upPIC your own [:.:] at: http://DevRich78.com/upPIC
devrich

Postby Manuel » Sun Jan 25, 2015 2:57 pm

devrich wrote:I half registered for a user account on these forums specificly to say Super Awesome job Manuel! :D

Thank you. Right now I'm working on a new version of long hair. I'll post some images within som hours.
Manuel

Postby Manuel » Tue Jan 27, 2015 10:11 am

Long hair, new version.

long_hair_screenshot02.png

long_hair_screenshot01.png

long_hair_screenshot03.png

long_hair_screenshot04.png

long_hair_screenshot05.png

long_hair_screenshot06.png
Manuel

Postby devrich » Tue Jan 27, 2015 2:24 pm

Great work, Manuel! :D
Don't settle for what someone else made -- upPIC your own [:.:] at: http://DevRich78.com/upPIC
devrich

Postby Thaeris » Sat Feb 07, 2015 1:37 am

Hello Manuel,

I have been musing about this for the last day or two after experimenting with an exported model from MakeHuman: would it be possible to use one or several "universal" textures for hair, eyes, and to some extent, skin, in conjunction with a variable material for each object? This would ideally require fewer textures to be packaged with the software while allowing for greater customization of the character within MakeHuman itself.

For instance, in my experiment, I took a hair and texture model from Mount & Blade Warband and applied it to the exported model in AC3D. The Mount & Blade model only seems to have one texture, a very light blonde, which is adjusted in-game with an object material/shader change as per user settings. Likewise, I was able to adjust the color appearance to my liking by changing the object material properties in AC3D...

...Therefore, is it concievable to think that MakeHuman may have something like this in the future, with either the option to adjust individual model materials or the textures themselves, or both to some degree?
Thaeris

Postby rampa » Sat Feb 07, 2015 7:09 am

If you look under the "Utilities" tab, you will find a material editor.
rampa

Postby Manuel » Sat Feb 07, 2015 10:19 am

Thaeris wrote:Hello Manuel,

I have been musing about this for the last day or two after experimenting with an exported model from MakeHuman: would it be possible to use one or several "universal" textures for hair?

No, unfortunately.
Hair geometry is complex and depends on the hair style. So the UV projections are different too, since they are optimized for each geometry.
The only way to have an universal textures for all the hair would be modelling them as hundreds of ribbons, but this will increase a lot the polycount, the modelling time and the size of obj.

For instance, in my experiment, I took a hair and texture model from Mount & Blade Warband and applied it to the exported model in AC3D. The Mount & Blade model only seems to have one texture, a very light blonde, which is adjusted in-game with an object material/shader change as per user settings. Likewise, I was able to adjust the color appearance to my liking by changing the object material properties in AC3D...

We already have this feature in MH: each type of hair (or in general each asset) can have multiple materials and textures. Atm in my models I'm providing only one default material, but in future it can be expanded. I'm not spending much time on this since it's relatively simple to edit the texture in Gimp, so I prefer to stay focused on the geometry that's the most difficult part, in order to provide our community a good base of assets.
Manuel

Postby duststorm » Sat Feb 07, 2015 1:35 pm

MakeHuman has a material system and a material editor you can enable, that will allow you to do similar things as in AC3D
MakeHuman™ developer
duststorm

Postby Thaeris » Sat Feb 07, 2015 6:44 pm

Oh, in that case, I'll need to look harder next time around - thank you!

As per the "universal texture" thing, I suppose I meant to say that each mesh would only have a texture or two, with the material adjusting its appearance. Seeing as the software already has this feature... never mind!

Many thanks, Sir - keep up the good work.
Thaeris

Postby MariusOberholster » Wed Sep 16, 2015 9:47 am

Manuel wrote:A new one:
ponytail01.blend.png

ponytail02.blend.png

Great work!! The braid and the pony tail are definitely the best yet! Imo. They also work very well for toon shading. Thank you! (^_^)
Blog: http://www.pantherdynamics.yolasite.com/panther-dynamics-blog.php
YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCSL7DbnOWT_G6YqlMQmOnDA
GOD bless you! (^^,)
MariusOberholster

Previous

Return to WIP (Work In Progress)