My continuous quest for the perfect skin shader

Works in progress and technical screen shots.

Moderator: joepal

My continuous quest for the perfect skin shader

Postby SaltyCowdawg » Mon Oct 06, 2014 7:21 pm

skin-shader-sss-experiment.png

Here is my latest attempt at a "perfect skin shader." This uses three texture layers consisting of a red SSS layer, a blue SSS layer and finally the diffuse texture.
Peter L. Berghold <peter@berghold.net> or <Salty.Cowdawg@gmail.com>
Retired IT with 30+ years in the business
SaltyCowdawg

Re: My continuous quest for the perfect skin shader

Postby duststorm » Mon Oct 06, 2014 7:23 pm

Good attempt. The red shine effect is a little too much in the center of the face, I think. Perhaps a bit more tweaking could alleviate that.
MakeHuman™ developer
duststorm

Postby SaltyCowdawg » Mon Oct 06, 2014 8:14 pm

duststorm wrote:The red shine effect is a little too much in the center of the face

I wonder if I'm using the wrong node to introduce the SSS layer. I'm using an "Add Shader" and I'm not 100% sure it's quite doing what I want it to.

I went ahead and changed it to a mix. Here's the node setup:
skin-shader-sss-experiments-node-setup.png

here's how it turned out
skin-shader-sss-experiments-node-setup-take2.png

She seems darker now.
Peter L. Berghold <peter@berghold.net> or <Salty.Cowdawg@gmail.com>
Retired IT with 30+ years in the business
SaltyCowdawg

Postby NewArt2000 » Mon Oct 06, 2014 9:18 pm

SaltyCowdawg wrote:
skin-shader-sss-experiment.png

Here is my latest attempt at a "perfect skin shader." This uses three texture layers consisting of a red SSS layer, a blue SSS layer and finally the diffuse texture.

I posted some pics in the gallery yesterday MAKEHUMAN MHX2 EXPERIMENTS look at the last one and tell me what you think of the skin there.
NewArt2000

Postby Oscalon » Mon Oct 06, 2014 11:35 pm

Hey, you've got a couple of problems with your node setup. Mainly, you cannot use BSDF or BSSRDF ouputs as factor or color inputs. Currently your SSS nodes are not doing anything. This is because BSDF and BSSRDF are computed in the render. They are instructions that tell light how to behave when they hit a surface, its not like Blender Internal where you can use them into others sockets. These outputs can ONLY go into mix shader nodes, add shader nodes, and material surface output.

I have not experimented with SSS much myself, so I can't give you a proper node setup for it off the top of my head. But it does not override what your basic material setup ought to be. It should be a diffuse mixed with a glossy, with the mix factor being a fresnel node with the appropriate Index of Refraction for human skin (which you can find on google.) ANY material that is going to be photorealistic has this at its core. Everything has Fresnel http://filmicgames.com/archives/557

I do not know if SSS is mixed in, added in, or replaces the diffuse or glossy, but you should be able to find that on google or the blenderartists forum.
Oscalon

Return to WIP (Work In Progress)