Jammer Shorts Bustier Top

Works in progress and technical screen shots.

Moderator: joepal

Jammer Shorts Bustier Top

Postby brkurt » Sat Oct 04, 2014 3:39 am

Hello everyone...this post is the result of a week of steady work. Maybe others figured all this out long ago, but I've just arrived at this point.

Here is my Aesthetica model (MH Alpha 5.1), with a pair of jammer shorts. She starts with a jumping jack, and then walks away.

The goal was to create a pair of pants that could successfully move through athletics, with the minimum of planar intersections and distortions.
The solution here was to start in the middle of the groin, and using both retopology and proportional editing, create a mesh that both moved and folded naturally.
Note that there are no shape keys in the final pair of pants, and only a single level of subsurface subdivisions.
This leaves me free to create whatever types of folds I wish to add to the realism of the model and its movements.

A jumping jack, from the front:

A jumping jack, from the rear:

Blender heads can try the model themselves:

http://www.geekopolis.ca/blender/walk_cycle_models/jammerShortsBustier1_263a.blend
brkurt

Re: Jammer Shorts Bustier Top

Postby The_Maven » Sat Oct 04, 2014 5:37 am

Sorry, I don't want to criticize but why the Alpha 5.1, we are almost in the 1.1?

The folds are where the problems lie, aren't them?
No all but you get the point.

Are you going save the the folds in a animation library with shape keys?
The_Maven

Re: Jammer Shorts Bustier Top

Postby brkurt » Sat Oct 04, 2014 12:17 pm

[quote="The Maven"

The folds are where the problems lie, aren't them?
No all but you get the point.

Are you going save the the folds in a animation library with shape keys?[/quote]

The point with the jammer shorts mesh is that it works with any of the MH body meshs (I'm especially fond of trhe muscular mesh in 1.1); that is because I have designed the mesh so that the stationary points on a real body--the center of the groin, the hip bones (aka iliac crest) and the base of the spine (pelvic triangle) are where the edge loops begin and end.

Since the jammer shorts flow so well on the body, I don't need corrective shape keys to repair deformations, I can now use shape keys to create the various folds I wish.

Here's the latest 1.1 muscular topology, rigged with the same shorts, front shot:

From the back:

And here is the model in Blender. Have fun with it! :)

http://www.geekopolis.ca/blender/walk_cycle_models/jammerShortsBustier2_263a.blend
brkurt

Return to WIP (Work In Progress)