Change rest pose to T-pose in Blender

A place for unofficial tutorials posted by MH users

Moderator: joepal

Change rest pose to T-pose in Blender

Postby duststorm » Mon Nov 25, 2013 12:57 pm

This is a very quick solution to setting your mesh to T pose in blender. I assume you have imported a rigged human model into Blender (for example using the MHX format).

(This is the approach with manual posing, see next reply for the automated method)

1) In pose mode, pose the armature so that the human is in T stance
2) Exit pose mode, and go to Object mode.
3) Select the human MESH (not the armature)
4) Remove any shapekeys. Blender does not allow modifying your mesh with them, so they will have to go. In the shapekeys panel press the "-" icon until the list is empty.
5) in the Modifiers panel (which is usually to the right of your screen), click Apply on the ARMATURE modifier.
6) Add a new Armature modifier to the stack (click Add modifier) and attach it to the correct armature again (select your armature from the Object dropdown)
7) Select the armature again, go to Pose mode again.
8) Press SPACE and search for "apply pose as rest pose", hit enter

Now your armature should be in T pose, and your basemesh should fit the T stance. We have not applied any special geometry deformations, so posing the armature with arms down should give realistic joint geometry around the shoulders.

If you prefer watching a video tutorial of this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M9y6kzk69f4

To Thomas: maybe one of the blender scripts (the mocap script?) could offer a one-click button to do this?
MakeHuman™ developer
duststorm

Re: Change rest pose to T-pose in Blender

Postby duststorm » Mon Nov 25, 2013 1:21 pm

I remembered that there were already pose conversion data files available. The MakeWalk blender addon allows you to load those to convert to a T-pose automatically.

Here is a modification of the previous tutorial. Step 1 is replaced by this:

1) * In pose mode, press SPACE and search for "t-pose", select the "Load T-pose" * option.
* Browse to the folder where you have your MakeWalk script installed (this is in your home folder or in your blender installation path)
* Choose the file makewalk/target_rigs/makehuman_tpose.json

* Update: The options seem to have changed slightly. You can now simply choose the option "T-pose => Rest Pose" from the SPACE menu, no file browsing required anymore.

Continue step 2 of the tutorial in post above

Here you can see a video tutorial of this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Qs17j0c_Ns
MakeHuman™ developer
duststorm

Postby AqP » Thu Dec 05, 2013 4:56 am

Thanks duststorm, this worked very well.
AqP

Postby Oscalon » Mon Feb 10, 2014 9:11 am

Hello,

I am trying to reposition a model but have run into an issue. I am adjusting the angle of feet and toes for high heels, and used the method duststorm described. It works fine for FK, but when I switch the legs to IK, they return to the normal rest pose, not the new rest pose I had made. If I then follow the same steps but re positioning the IK, then the IK controllers at the knees behave strangely (they seem to get longer and stretch) and I can never get it to line up quite right, so I still get changes to the model when switching between FK and IK.

How do I get it working so that my rest pose is the same for FK and IK?
Oscalon

Postby duststorm » Mon Feb 10, 2014 6:21 pm

I think Thomas is best placed to answer this. He knows most about IK rig in blender, and the constraints used on the MH rigs.
It could be caused by constraints acting up after the change in rest pose. Perhaps some help bones have to be changed or something.
MakeHuman™ developer
duststorm

Postby ThomasL » Tue Feb 11, 2014 4:15 am

Use the Snap IK Leg buttons in the MHX FK/IK Switch panel to snap the IK leg to the FK leg. Once both FK and IK are in the same pose, make it the rest pose.
ThomasL

Postby Oscalon » Wed Feb 12, 2014 9:10 pm

ThomasL wrote:Use the Snap IK Leg buttons in the MHX FK/IK Switch panel to snap the IK leg to the FK leg. Once both FK and IK are in the same pose, make it the rest pose.

This works, except for some reason when done, it causes the knee IK targets to become extremely long. I start in FK with the feet at the proper angle, then hit Snap L IK leg and Snap R IK leg, moving the feet into IK mode and in the correct position. This causes the knee targets to double in length. Then when I apply rest pose, they extend to like 20 units long. I can move them back physically, but then I'm not sure how to get them back to exactly where they are supposed to be, which ends up meaning that my knees point at different angles when switching between IK and FK.
Oscalon

Postby ThomasL » Fri Feb 14, 2014 4:34 am

This is a bug, sort of. I pushed a bugfix, so it should appear in the release.

Strictly speaking, the pose was correct, because the distance from the knee to the pole target does not affect the pose, only the direction does. Therefore I assumed that the distance is always = 3, which is the rest length if the character is exported with decimeter units. However, if we instead use meters (I assume you did), the pole targets would be 3 m away from the knee rather than 3 dm. The updated mhx importer looks at the rest length of the pole target to get the distance right.

Same bugfix also applies to MakeWalk.
ThomasL

Postby Oscalon » Fri Feb 14, 2014 4:58 am

Thanks Thomas, I was using meters. So this fix is to the import addon? I take it that means I need to update that in my addons folder, rather than just updating the MH client?
Oscalon

Return to Tutorials