Making MakeHuman Avatars for Opensimulator and Second Life

A place for unofficial tutorials posted by MH users

Moderator: joepal

Re: Making MakeHuman Avatars for Opensimulator and Second Li

Postby duststorm » Mon Nov 04, 2013 7:57 pm

Try the latest svn version of MH (or the nightly build that will be built tonight 1AM GMT).
It should place the feet correctly on the ground for every export format.

By the way, if you import to blender first, anyway, you are not limited to Collada (DAE) export in MH. You can in fact use any format that blender can import. MHX might be a good choice, as it is more fully featured. Just a remark.
MakeHuman™ developer
duststorm

Postby MealeaYing » Tue Nov 05, 2013 2:29 pm

duststorm wrote:
MealeaYing wrote:Something I noticed that I should let people know about is that inworld you seem to hover in the air a bit....

Interesting. This might indicate a bug.
Do you get this when directly exporting from MH to Collada (DAE) and importing that file directly in SL?

I created an issue on the tracker to remind me to verify this.

Hya DustStorm

I get this when importing directly from MakeHuman and when importing via Blender, Im not sure its a bug though, I think this is WHY there is an offset thing in the importer in my viewer...
In both Opensim and SL if the ground is too close to the center of your avatar it seems to push your feet up and buckle your knees... and in fact im testing my earlier idea that -0.2 is correct, I think it might be less like -0.1 but I will know more about that later today or tomorrow, then I will test very short and very tall (heights set in MakeHuman) exports to see what happens with that....
I will let you know how that goes.

Cheers!
Mealea
I did it, blame me, its my fault!
MealeaYing

Postby MealeaYing » Tue Nov 05, 2013 2:35 pm

duststorm wrote:Try the latest svn version of MH (or the nightly build that will be built tonight 1AM GMT).
It should place the feet correctly on the ground for every export format.

By the way, if you import to blender first, anyway, you are not limited to Collada (DAE) export in MH. You can in fact use any format that blender can import. MHX might be a good choice, as it is more fully featured. Just a remark.

Whooops, I missed this, sorry....

I will try it but if its like the other nightlies I have tried lately I have some trouble with the UI... and some other stuff....
More on that in a bit....

The Blender thing is very cool thank you for that information!
MealeaYing

Postby MealeaYing » Tue Nov 05, 2013 2:38 pm

dadix wrote:You can't import direct to Opensim because the viewer always crushes. We must import first in Blender , than use the special Blender Export option to have another .dae file. The .dae file exported from Blender is working to upload in Viewer.
I use Opensim (on Osgrid) and the viewer is Kokua [url]http://wiki.kokuaviewer.org/wiki/Kokua/Downloads
[/url]

I can and do, but not in Kokua, I haven't tried that since its based on a UI I dislike, ie: LL's v.2 or v.3 viewers....
I do have to try it soon however since its got normal and specular mapping and I need to test that out.

As far as the importing goes I am having no problems with singularity, and Im on to testing clothing and I have to say its impressive, I tried the dress just now and despite the underside of the breasts popping through it worked GREAT!
MealeaYing

Postby MealeaYing » Tue Nov 05, 2013 2:43 pm

Ok....
I tried a little less offset and found that -0.1 is not enough, and -0.2 is a little too much, this is sort of more precise than I would like, I need an inworld adjustment for this so I can watch what happens.
MealeaYing

Postby MealeaYing » Wed Nov 06, 2013 4:22 pm

@DustStorm:
I have a lot of different options in the nightly build, ones I know nothing about yet, and many from A7 are just missing...
I will keep looking into it but I haven't got a lot of time for that especially as the "old" UI was better (to me anyway) and I got it to work, does that make sense? I work about 16 hours a day so my time is very limited.
I think I might have found something about the height above the ground problem, but more on that later, Im not sure yet.

@dadix:
I got Kokua and its as hidious as I expected it to be, I despise the new viewers (v.2 and v.3).
I got it to import fine on the first attempt with some small exceptions, I didn't explore things much because I don't want Kokua honestly, it has only one feature that I want and that is normal and specular mapping (which doesn't seem to work at all). Perhaps its a version issue?
I have this:
"Kokua 3.6.8.30064 (Oct 18 2013 15:51:10)(Kokua Release)"
MealeaYing

Postby duststorm » Wed Nov 06, 2013 5:34 pm

MealeaYing wrote:I have a lot of different options in the nightly build, ones I know nothing about yet, and many from A7 are just missing...

What features are you missing? Your feedback could be valuable.
What features confuse you (might be useful for our docs team)?

I have inquired about why the feet-on-ground option is gone, and it might be possible that it dissappeared by accident. To be continued.
MakeHuman™ developer
duststorm

Postby MealeaYing » Mon Dec 09, 2013 1:41 pm

duststorm wrote:
MealeaYing wrote:I have a lot of different options in the nightly build, ones I know nothing about yet, and many from A7 are just missing...

I have inquired about why the feet-on-ground option is gone, and it might be possible that it dissappeared by accident. To be continued.

EEEP!
I didn't realize you had responded, I thought I was subscribed to this thread, but it looks like Im not...
I will check and get back to you as soon as I grab the latest nightly, at this point the one I had is a WEE bit out of date...
Sorry about that!
MealeaYing

Postby Bo Orsini » Sat Jan 04, 2014 3:16 pm

MealeaYing wrote:Hya everyone!

Cheers!
Mealea

Good to know another SL-er who started using MH for SL. Such a shame that the newest nightly build messes up the orientation of my .dae exported body :(
Bo Orsini (SL)
Bo Orsini

Postby Bo Orsini » Mon Jan 06, 2014 4:34 pm

MealeaYing wrote:
duststorm wrote:

EEEP!
I didn't realize you had responded, I thought I was subscribed to this thread, but it looks like Im not...
I will check and get back to you as soon as I grab the latest nightly, at this point the one I had is a WEE bit out of date...
Sorry about that!

See the Gallery; MH8 is going to take over the grid!
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=10014
Bo Orsini (SL)
Bo Orsini

PreviousNext

Return to Tutorials