visemes?

A place for unofficial tutorials posted by MH users

Moderator: joepal

visemes?

Postby Allen » Thu Jun 13, 2013 2:15 am

Having a very hard time creating visemes(?) for makehuman characters in Blender. Although I must say the characters are so well done they almost rival a real human being. Extremely complex. Can anyone suggest a viable method of creating these shapes? :?
Allen

Re: visemes?

Postby duststorm » Thu Jun 13, 2013 12:27 pm

MakeHuman already comes with a collection of visemes that you can use.
I believe they can be exported to blender as shapekeys, though I have not tried this myself yet.
Here you can find documentation about them: http://www.makehuman.org/doc/node/lipsync.html
MakeHuman™ developer
duststorm

Postby Allen » Tue Jun 18, 2013 11:37 am

duststorm wrote:MakeHuman already comes with a collection of visemes that you can use.
I believe they can be exported to blender as shapekeys, though I have not tried this myself yet.
Here you can find documentation about them: http://www.makehuman.org/doc/node/lipsync.html

Thank you so much for your reply to my scream for help.
I'm using Blender 2.67B and MH 1.0 Alpha 7. MH alpha 7 has disabled visemes, thank you very much. Is there a previous version of MH with enabled visemes that I can down load? Or, maybe I'm just dumb, it's a possibility. :)
Allen

Postby rfairhurst » Wed Jun 19, 2013 6:27 am

Allen wrote:
duststorm wrote:MakeHuman already comes with a collection of visemes that you can use.

Thank you so much for your reply to my scream for help.
I'm using Blender 2.67B and MH 1.0 Alpha 7. MH alpha 7 has disabled visemes, thank you very much. Is there a previous version of MH with enabled visemes that I can down load? Or, maybe I'm just dumb, it's a possibility. :)

Two things you should know. Visemes posed in MH are not preserved on the character's face when you export. That is intentional. They are meant to be posed within Blender using MHX Lipsync section in the side panel that opens when you press the N-key. The visemes in Blender have sliders that match the behavior of the sliders in MH.

You need to have the makehuman add-ons for Blender to be able to import the MHX model and to access the MHX Lipsync shapes. The add-ons are stored in subfolders in your MakeHuman program directory under the ~makehuman/tools/Blender26x directory. Save all of the subdirectories in that folder into your C:\Program Files (x86)\Blender Foundation\Blender\2.67\scripts\addons directory (if you are using a Windows 64 bit OS). Then enable the add-ins under the Blender User Preferences dialog. See the help under http://makehuman.org/doc/node/get_and_install_the_most_recent_blender_mhx_addon.html for screenshots of the add-on installation process.
rfairhurst

Postby Allen » Thu Jun 20, 2013 9:28 am

Thank you so much for your help. It worked! I'd give you a kiss, but, I'm a manly man, so, a hearty thank you will have to do. :D
Allen

Postby rfairhurst » Thu Jun 20, 2013 11:36 am

Allen wrote:Thank you so much for your help. It worked! I'd give you a kiss, but, I'm a manly man, so, a hearty thank you will have to do. :D

The hearty thank you works great for me. I'm glad I was able to help.
rfairhurst

Postby Kodor65 » Sat Aug 24, 2013 1:55 am

I'm having the same trouble as Allen but using a 32 bit OS, where do I copy the MH files to in that case ?
Kodor65

Postby rfairhurst » Sat Aug 24, 2013 5:41 am

Kodor65 wrote:I'm having the same trouble as Allen but using a 32 bit OS, where do I copy the MH files to in that case ?

I believe the only real difference is that it is just in the Program Files directory and not the Program Files (x86) directory. So this should be where you put the addons, I believe:

C:\Program Files\Blender Foundation\Blender\2.67\scripts\addons
rfairhurst

Postby duststorm » Sun Aug 25, 2013 5:08 pm

MakeHuman™ developer
duststorm

Return to Tutorials