Is there a new Updated tutorial for Blender August 2020?

A place for unofficial tutorials posted by MH users

Moderator: joepal

Is there a new Updated tutorial for Blender August 2020?

Postby Clemente_Al_Dente » Thu Aug 13, 2020 10:52 am

Hello All,

I checked some tutorials for Makehuman 1.2 and Blender 2.83 LTS. So far I was able to allow the connection between Blender and Makehuman and on the N Panel, I have 4 Tabs related to Makehuman --> Maketarget2 , MakeSkin, MakeClothes2, Makehuman.

So far everything works fine, I create a Human in MakeHuman and in Blender I open N panel and use the tab ' MakeHuman' > Import Human

But from here I am a bit lost. I cannot find any tutorial which explain on how to proceed from here. The only 'up-to-date' tutorials from 2020 use a 5th plugin called > Import Runtime or MHX2.

My question is : do I still need also the additional Import Runtime or/ and MHX2 plugin? Or is it OK if I use the tab ' MakeHuman' > Import Human in the N Panel ? ( in this case, can someone recommend me a good tutorial on how to proceed from here) ?

Thank you
Best regards

PS: I think I use this Add on version: http://www.makehumancommunity.org/wiki/ ... or_Blender)%3F ----> But it looks like, that all Videos on Youtube using another (old?) method
Clemente_Al_Dente

Re: Is there a new Updated tutorial for Blender August 2020?

Postby VapeLord » Thu Aug 13, 2020 5:04 pm

Hi Clemente and welcome to the forum. :)

So after you hit the ImportHuman button you should see the character from MH in Blender. From there, work with Blender begins. It is important that the character has a skeleton which you have assigned to him beforehand in MH, otherwise nothing can be animated or posed.
The skeleton should appear as a stick figure in the character in Blender. Depending on which mode you have chosen in Blender, you can either scale the character and move it completely or only individual parts of the character.

Object mode: The entire skeleton is selected regardless of which bone you click on.

Pose mode: the clicked bone can be moved independently of the rest of the skeleton.

A little crash course

Example object mode:
Click skeleton,
then press the S key for scaling and move the mouse. Press the left mouse button at the desired size.

Example pose mode:
Click on the bone Press the R key to rotate and then either the x, y or z key. Depending on which direction you want to move the bone. Then align the bone with the mouse and confirm again with the left mouse button.

MHX2/Runtime:

You need the runtime plugin if you create a character in MH and then export it as MHX2. If you then import the character into Blender you have different setting options in the import window.

I hope I was able to help you just a little bit ;)

Greets Vape
VapeLord

Postby Clemente_Al_Dente » Sat Aug 15, 2020 8:22 pm

Hi VapeLord,
thank you for your Feedback. Your Tips helped me already a lot.
In MakeHuman I choose the default skeleton, and then export it as a OBJ.

IN Blender I import via MakeHuman Tab.
But after I Import, the Skeleton in posemode are just some lines:

If i compare my setup with Youtube videos which use the MHX2 method , I am missing some stuff, for example: The little icons around the mesh, which I can use to move the different parts of my mesh ( arm leg head....). Also how to change to IK ... and so on.

Here you can see another problem I have, after selection a Arm and rotate it in poser mode:

Do you know about any Tutorial which I can follow? Because all I can find is about MHX2 or Videos from 2-3 Years ago.

Thank you again, best Regards

Edit: I found this video in this forum:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x6UOKZJ ... fY&index=3

But he only talks a bit about the MakeHuman import Tab and the rest of his videos is about MHX2 method. Maybe for now I just use the MHX2 method, because there are more Videos and its easier for me to follow until the end :)
Clemente_Al_Dente

Postby VapeLord » Sat Aug 15, 2020 8:45 pm

Hi,

Ok, so if you use the MHX2 method, you have to export the character as MHX2 format in MH and then import it into Blender via MHX2 runtime. Then the little icons should actually be back.
If you load your character via direct import from MH to Blender, you only have the dashed lines.

In theory, the old MHX2 tutorials should still be relatively compatible with the new Blender and MH versions.

If you use the MHX2 Runtime importer, you have to click on the overwriting function. Then further options should show up. Including a selection of different rigs. I think I remember that you have to choose Exportet MHX or only MHX.

PS: I forgot, if you use direct import, you don't need to export your character beforehand.
VapeLord

Return to Tutorials