setting up to edit an existing clothing item

A place for unofficial tutorials posted by MH users

Moderator: joepal

setting up to edit an existing clothing item

Postby badwolf » Mon Jun 19, 2017 2:23 pm

Im wanting to do an edit on an existing clothing item so i wanted to make sure i set this up correctly

1 load MH with model and clothing item
2 remove eyes
3 pull in anti-base target??
4 export as mhx2 and import to blender
5 edit item
6 run MC to build new items

do i have this correct??
badwolf

Re: setting up to edit an existing clothing item

Postby Aranuvir » Mon Jun 19, 2017 9:02 pm

Step 2 is cruel and step 3 is superfluous. If you use mhx2 you need to set the imported human mesh as basemesh via a MakeTarget button. Otherwise you can import the obj file directly into blender. Best use the same basemodel as the author has used for the clothing you want to edit. And the task could get tricky, because the vertex groups are not preserved and the author might have used a complex setup...
Aranuvir

Postby punkduck » Tue Jun 20, 2017 8:56 pm

badwolf wrote:Im wanting to do an edit on an existing clothing item so i wanted to make sure i set this up correctly

1 load MH with model and clothing item
2 remove eyes
3 pull in anti-base target??
4 export as mhx2 and import to blender
5 edit item
6 run MC to build new items

do i have this correct??

No normally it is rather simple. Only if clothes are modelled on a special user-built base mesh, you might have a problem. But typically they are done on one of the base mashes in MakeClothes. So simply import the .obj file of the clothes into blender and try all meshes (without helpers) makeclothes is supplying. Typical the clothes will only fit to one version. I've done exactly this with O4saken's deathnote T-Shirt before I was able to upload it into the assets for him. It fitted to the male base mesh in Makeclothes.

If you need the helpers, you can decide later. Often you got a few hints how they are created, e.g. if the female version with helpers was used you can see when you scale the breast region in MakeHuman, without helpers you get two single breasts deforming the clothes which is okay for a bikini but not for a shirt (well ... in normal conditions ... :mrgreen:)
punkduck

Postby badwolf » Wed Jun 21, 2017 6:15 pm

as it happens the item im trying to mod is your ballet leotard (im wanting to remove the stripe detailing)

any suggestions on how to do the retopo (i keep getting "martian" verts and im not liking some of the lines im getting)?
badwolf

Postby jujube » Wed Jun 21, 2017 10:48 pm

Maybe this has already been answered, or maybe it's not what you're asking, but there's a "test clothes" button in makeclothes. It will load the mhclo directly onto the makeclothes human, with no need to export anything from MH.
jujube

Postby punkduck » Wed Jun 28, 2017 8:04 pm

badwolf wrote:as it happens the item im trying to mod is your ballet leotard (im wanting to remove the stripe detailing)

any suggestions on how to do the retopo (i keep getting "martian" verts and im not liking some of the lines im getting)?

Hmm, one week too late. I did not see the post. It is quite difficult for me to understand what you consider as "martian" verts. I think I need a screenshot to understand your problem.
punkduck

Postby jujube » Sun Jul 09, 2017 11:15 pm

I was going to say "martian" was probably added by autocorrect, but the post isn't capitalized...
jujube

Return to Tutorials