Karate: Kata as performed by Rika Usaml

A place for unofficial tutorials posted by MH users

Moderator: joepal

Karate: Kata as performed by Rika Usaml

Postby brkurt » Thu May 04, 2017 4:03 pm

Hello everyone...I'd like to do a tutorial about analyzing martial arts moves with a MH model.
This is my standard Ellie model, with combat boots and cargo pants. The textures are very simple: a single color with a difference map bleeding through. The rig is a customized version of the 1.1.1.

Here is the Youtube video of Rika Usami placing first at the World Karate competition in France 2012.

Some of her movements are too fast for a Youtube quality video, so I'll have to be interpretive.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iiiznDpoapQ

and here is the Blender model. Note how I've used Inverse kinematics sparingly; only where I need it for subtle arm and leg movements.
(those the bones in gun-metal blue).

http://www.geekopolis.ca/blender/rika_usami_karate/ellieE1_276b.blend
brkurt

Re: Karate: Kata as performed by Rika Usaml

Postby brkurt » Thu May 04, 2017 7:46 pm

One of the goals of this tutorial is to create realistic folds during action sequences. To do that, it is important to create a pair of cargo pants from scratch, that makes sure it follows the contours of a human body. That means being aware of how the mesh moves at the groin and the knee, further complicated by the tucking of the pants into the combat boots.

You'll need to use the Proportional Editor, and that's not easy. First, make sure the this tool only controls faces closest to the face of interest. That's done by using a little-known command: alt key plus minus key. This controls the range of interest.

After that, create a Vertex group for the pants that will allow you to form it close to the body. This is done by using the Shrinkwrap modifier in conjunction with the Proportional Editor. Note: don't try to do this all in one step. It's basically cut-and-fit.

brkurt

Return to Tutorials