Modeling male genitals as clothes

A place for unofficial tutorials posted by MH users

Moderator: joepal

Modeling male genitals as clothes

Postby joepal » Sat Mar 25, 2017 5:30 pm

As this has been a topic for some discussion lately, I'll add a few pointers here, in case anyone wants to give modeling a penis a go.

First, there is a choice whether to do this as a proxy or as clothes. As everyone probably knows, there is already a male genitals proxy available for download. The section on targets at the bottom of this post further down applies to this too, but I'll mainly discuss penis-as-clothes here.

Anyway, before progressing with that... The upside of modeling penis-as-clothes is that you can use it together with any already existing proxy (for example male-muscular or simply the base mesh). The downside is that you might get a visible seam between the body and the penis clothing, a problem that would not arise with penis-as-proxy. You can probably fix this by texture painting with an alpha channel, but it might be good to now.

Anyway, let's start with makeclothes. First load a base mesh "male with helpers":

01_load_base_mesh.png

A little known fact that might be useful to know about, is that the base mesh actually has genitalia vertices. They're just part of the "helpers" vertex set rather than part of the set which is displayed on the default toon in MH:

02_select_vertices.png

Anyway, to be able to see what we're doing, let's assign the skirt and tights vertices to groups and mask them (note that I've clicked the inverse button in the modifier, it's the one looking like an arrow).

03_mask.png

04_mask2.png
04_mask2.png (32.16 KiB) Viewed 6090 times

We can now clearly see the genitals vertex group on the base mesh:

05_visible.png

At this point you can either model a more detailed penis manually around the genitals on the base mesh, or take the lazy strategy and simply duplicate the base mesh and delete all vertices except the penis one on the clone. I'll do that here. Cause I'm lazy.

Duplicte the toon. Enter edit mode. Select the genitals vertices. Invert selection. Delete all other vertices.

You will also want to delete all materials, vertex groups and UV maps on the penis object.

You should now have a penis object available:

06_only_penis.png

Now create a vertex group "penis" on the clothing (assign all vertices to it), and a vertex group "penis" on the base mesh and assign all the genitals vertext points to it. Do not use auto-assign, nor create the left/right/mid vertex group manually.

Mark seams on your penis clothing. This is just a suggestion, you can probably think up a better strategy.

07_seams.png

UV unwrap the object. Create a material. I'll just make it white, cause, yes, I'm lazy. You might want to create a texture and do texture painting or something instead.

Be sure to name your object "mypenis" or something. Set the object type to clothing. Then go ahead with assigning license, description and whatnot and hit the makeclothes button.

You can now use the penis as clothing inside MH:

08_mhpenis.png

The genitals target should work. If the sliders are disabled, you might need to switch to a proxy, change the sliders and then switch back.

08_mhpenis2.png

Now, if you want to model penis targets of your own (say "erect" or something), simply do so on the "male with helpers" base mesh. If you move the genitalia vertices on that, the produced target will work as any other target and move the corresponding clothes/proxy vertices with it.
Joel Palmius (LinkedIn)
MakeHuman Infrastructure Manager
http://www.palmius.com/joel
joepal

Re: Modeling male genitals as clothes

Postby blindsaypatten » Sat Mar 25, 2017 10:02 pm

Thank you very much for this!

I need to, and I will, watch the video tutorial on MakeClothes all the way through, in order to better make sense of this.

At what exact point in the outlined process should one make the desired changes to the mesh? Just before filling in the description etc. and pressing the makeclothes button? If I should manage to work through this successfully, would it make sense to do a Blender save right at that point so that myself and possibly other people can subsequently simply load the Blender file, edit the mesh, and save?

Thanks again!
blindsaypatten

Re: Modeling male genitals as clothes

Postby joepal » Sat Mar 25, 2017 10:14 pm

At the step where I duplicate the mesh, you could instead model a whole new object from scratch. This is probably even a better idea than just re-using the pretty low-res genitals section on the base mesh.

That new mesh is what ends up as the obj file you upload in the user repos. Other people can simply load that if they want to modify the object later, no need to share the whole blend file.
Joel Palmius (LinkedIn)
MakeHuman Infrastructure Manager
http://www.palmius.com/joel
joepal

Return to Tutorials