Makeup for MakeHuman in Blender Cycles

A place for unofficial tutorials posted by MH users

Moderator: joepal

Makeup for MakeHuman in Blender Cycles

Postby Mindfront » Fri Nov 11, 2016 3:08 pm

This week I experimented with a fairly flexible makeup system for MakeHuman figures in Blender Cycles.

(edit 2017-04-23, I have made minor adjustments as the first version had a problem when render with transparent world background)

I'm no makeup expert or otherwise interested in makeup but in some cases it might be fun to give the figures a little color without having to edit the skin texture.

I'm no big shot on Blender Cycles so I am quite sure that it is possible to make improvements.

The goal of this tutorial
01_Before-After.png

I chose to make separate image masks for lips, eye shadow and rouge and use the "Mapping" node to fit them on existing MakeHuman UV layout. As the final shader on each node group, I use Blender Guru's "PBR Dielectric Shader" https://www.blenderguru.com/tutorials/p ... orial-pt1/

And I use the unit metric scale 1. I do not know if that makes any difference on the mapping node if you use other scales.

First download these four images to be used as mask. You may use them freely, license CC0.
If you want to make your own masks, you can use the UV layout images as template, I post them later.

Lipstick
Makeup_Lipstick_01_MASK.png
Lipstick MASK

Rouge
Makeup_Rouge_01_MASK.png
Rouge MASK

Eyes
Makeup_Eyes_01_Liner_MASK.png
Eye_liner_MASK

Makeup_Eyes_01_Shadows_MASK.png
Eye Shadow MASK

Node group Lipstick
02_Lipstick_node_group.png
Node group Lipstick

Copy and paste value of the Mapping node:
Y: 17.1270008m
Z: 0m

Rotation: -90

Scale: XYZ: 18.2999992

Node group Rouge
03_Rouge_node_group.png
Node group Rouge

Y: 3.974m

Scale: XYZ: 4.0

Node group Eyes
04_Eye_makeup_node_group.png
Node group Eyes

Y: 7.2649999m

Scale: XYZ: 8.0299997

Final node setup to connect them with each other and the skin shader.
05_Final_setup.png
Final node setup

The result is visible only when using cycles render view so do not be afraid if the figure looks having a skin disease when you look in other display modes.

I post the UV-template images later as I was reaching maximum levels of attachments.

Hope it was reasonably understandable and did not get too cluttered.
Last edited by Mindfront on Sat Apr 22, 2017 10:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mindfront

Re: Makeup for MakeHuman in Blender Cycles

Postby Mindfront » Fri Nov 11, 2016 5:46 pm

Here is the UV-map templates.
Makeup_Lipstick_UV-layout.png
Lipstick template UV-layout

Makeup_Rouge_UV-layout.png
Rouge template UV-layout

Makeup_Eyes_UV-layout.png
Eye makeup template UV-layout
Mindfront

Postby punkduck » Fri Nov 11, 2016 8:41 pm

Wow, I will hide somewhere with my knowlegde until I've learned to do it like you've done :o

I've to check if I should make a try to use similar ideas for my models. But I have created the skin textures with makeup, like it was used in the pictures. But indeed using a dark eye-shader for my model Evi would certainly make her a vamp like the real girl presenting the lingerie I created (sorry I'm not allowed to name the vendor to that you are able to see the real lingerie model ;) )

But I really like this approach. Mostly I do my work in GIMP and Blender is only used for small changes (like the colors of white clothes or the glossy parts (lips, eye-edges) of my skin texture).

And your english does not seem "bumpy", hey you never heard myself speak swedish :lol: I had the experience, that people from Denmark, Norway, Sweden and Finland speak english more fluently than we Germans do, that is, because in Germany nearly every film is synchronized ...

If user tutorials are really put into the wiki section, then a native speaker should fix the texts. Creating the pictures and a workflow is most of the work. Correcting errors is a simpler job.
punkduck

Postby wolgade » Fri Nov 11, 2016 10:43 pm

punkduck wrote:Wow, I will hide somewhere with my knowlegde until I've learned to do it like you've done

I hope you don't. Any shared knowledge is most probably useful for somone.
wolgade

Postby punkduck » Fri Nov 11, 2016 11:32 pm

wolgade wrote:
punkduck wrote:Wow, I will hide somewhere with my knowlegde until I've learned to do it like you've done

No, that was a joke only, but yes a lot of new ideas in Blender, a lot of new features learned, sometimes I think that I'm only able to do the (at least in my opionion) good looking characters by just having my own taste and really endurance working with GIMP ... :?
punkduck

Postby Aranuvir » Sun Nov 13, 2016 7:37 pm

Great tutorial, but why not controlling the material position with the models' uv map? This would be a more generic approach and should fit on every model type.
Aranuvir

---

Postby DredNicolson » Tue Nov 15, 2016 5:48 pm

If the geometry in the area is dense enough, you can also do the masking with vertex color layers. VC data is accessed in Cycles through the Attribute node.
DredNicolson

Postby Mindfront » Sun Dec 25, 2016 3:42 pm

Aranuvir wrote:Great tutorial, but why not controlling the material position with the models' uv map? This would be a more generic approach and should fit on every model type.

Thanks!
Do you mean making a bigger black texture, that covers the hole UV, with white mask for the makeup?
Mindfront

Postby Mindfront » Sun Dec 25, 2016 3:56 pm

punkduck wrote:
wolgade wrote:

:lol: And afterwards I fell into a coma several weeks and woke up to see many new great assets posted. That is what I call very useful to my creativity.
Mindfront

Postby Aranuvir » Sun Dec 25, 2016 9:43 pm

Mindfront wrote:Thanks!
Do you mean making a bigger black texture, that covers the hole UV, with white mask for the makeup?

Yes, that was my intention. Perhaps search for grinsegold's "smokey eyes" in the forum. It has the advantage that you don't need the mapping node, though I'm not sure if your approach allows effectively more detail.
BTW - and sorry for being lazy, but I don't want to write two posts - great work in the gallery !
Aranuvir

Next

Return to Tutorials