Request: .mhmat format description

A place for unofficial tutorials posted by MH users

Moderator: joepal

Request: .mhmat format description

Postby learning » Tue Jan 26, 2016 11:36 pm

Can someone make a description of .mhmat format with all its possible options and how they work? Preferably on the wiki, and I think it's generally better to use wiki for the documentation of the sort. Right now it's very much useless, admittedly. Later probably we'll need descriptions of all the rest of MH file formats.
learning

Re: Request: .mhmat format description

Postby duststorm » Wed Jan 27, 2016 12:46 pm

I'll see if I can create an example mhmat file that contains all properties and put it on the wiki.
Other than that, I don't think I can help much. I might have a biased perspective on this, as I was the one who designed it, but really the material format is nothing exotic, and should feel familiar right away if you are accustomed to the standard rendering equation, or have some experience with OpenGL, DirectX, shaders or other material systems.
So I'll leave the rest of the documenting to the community.
MakeHuman™ developer
duststorm

Postby duststorm » Wed Jan 27, 2016 4:35 pm

I took the time to write most of it down, here you go: http://www.makehumancommunity.org/wiki/ ... ial_format
MakeHuman™ developer
duststorm

Postby learning » Thu Jan 28, 2016 1:12 am

Wow, thank you, that's very helpful. The only thing I still don't understand is how the specular properties in blender (hardness etc) relate to ones in .mhmat Everything else I've pretty much got.
learning

Postby duststorm » Thu Jan 28, 2016 9:23 am

learning wrote:The only thing I still don't understand is how the specular properties in blender (hardness etc) relate to ones in .mhmat

In mh materials you can define the specular color and hardness or shininess component.
The model used is https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phong_reflection_model
MakeHuman™ developer
duststorm

Return to Tutorials