Automated Eyebrows

A place for unofficial tutorials posted by MH users

Moderator: joepal

Automated Eyebrows

Postby brkurt » Mon Nov 02, 2015 4:14 pm

I don't know about the rest of you, but I was floored when I did a detailed analysis of Manuel's new (commercial) model.
In this very short tutorial, I'm going to solve the 'eyebrow' problem once and for all, in every possible rendering system. Right now, I use four--Blender Internal, Yafaray, LuxRender & Cycles (Yafaray the most).

Here is a Blender solution, the Maya crew probably has the same toolkit, with different names.

Eyebrows are usually rendered as a painted UV map, but this requires knowing how to create RGBA graphics, transparent shadows, soft shadows, etc.
A much simpler approach would be to create an eyebrow mesh that would be 'good enough' for gamers and anime, and that could be fine-tuned for the hyper-realism crew.

The best solution is to use a simple planar mesh with: an array modifier with a Fixed Count (for individual hairs); a simple deform modifier set for Taper; a Curve Modifier that responds to an Empty; a Subsurf for the finishing touch. The Curve must have CurveStretch selected.

and here is the result in Yafaray:

and finally, here is a Blender 2.6x file (which should work for just about everyone).

http://www.geekopolis.ca/blender/completed_models/automatedEyeBrows1_264a.blend
brkurt

Return to Tutorials