How to edit your skin for Opensim

A place for unofficial tutorials posted by MH users

Moderator: joepal

How to edit your skin for Opensim

Postby Déesse » Wed Oct 14, 2015 6:12 pm

halloween1.jpg

Do you want to know how I edited my halloween-makeup so that it will be fitting my avatar in Opensim? Maybe someone will add some help with the renaming of the files...

Okay, this is what I have done:
1. Open Makehuman (folder) -> data -> skins -> textures
2. Choose one of the skintextures and import it into your picture-editor, GIMP for example (you will find lots of tutorials for gimp on youtube, e.g. the magic scissors, so I'll not write a tutorial around gimp here). The skintexture is .png 2048x2048 px, so it is possible to enlargen it for better results (I used 5000x5000px). Rotate it to simplify your workflow.
3. Now add layers for eyes or lips or draw lines to paint your makeup.
4. Save your skin in a way that will allow you to work on it later to correct the result.
5. Resize your picture to 2048x2048 px, rotate it and save it as .png ->
6. -> save your picture (the edited skin) in the original skin-datafolder (MakeHuman) and name it exactly the way it is called in the texture-folder, example: 'old_darkskinned_male_diffuse' (deactivate the original skin with this name by deleting or renaming it)

halloween2b.jpg

7. Next time you choose the material-tab in Makehuman, your avatar should wear the new created makeup (by selecting 'old african male', example related to the skin in step 6). And you see exactly where you will have to edit parts (mouth too large, eyes to small...) Edit as often as it is needed in your picture-editor, and finally you'll have your skin prepared for your upload to Opensim.

The eye-texture was changed the same way.

halloween3b.jpg

Another following step will be to separate head and body, because the texture-upload in Opensim and SL is limited to 1024x1024 px max. With the head separated it will be possible to create more details in your face.
Last edited by Déesse on Wed Oct 28, 2015 4:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Déesse

Re: How to edit your skin for Opensim

Postby joepal » Wed Oct 14, 2015 7:30 pm

Related tutorial on texture painting makehuman skins:

http://www.makehumancommunity.org/wiki/ ... in_blender
Joel Palmius (LinkedIn)
MakeHuman Infrastructure Manager
http://www.palmius.com/joel
joepal

Postby learning » Thu Oct 15, 2015 4:47 am

I see one problem with this approach: to achieve something like this you actually need to be able to draw! :roll:
learning

Postby Déesse » Thu Oct 15, 2015 5:34 pm

YAY! Got it! :D

mhmat1a.jpg

Thank you, Joepal, for the helpful links - and for your great work!

mhmat2a.jpg

It took me a moment to find out that I can edit the (just copied) MHMAT-files with wordpad and that the thumbs work with .png too. This will make things easier, because I can use short names like 'test' and no need to destroy the other options :)
Déesse

Postby Déesse » Thu Oct 22, 2015 4:38 pm

Sorry, I forgot to add the advice I got in another thread: to save your file in the V1-data-skins-folder, so that it will be available in updated versions of MH. :oops:
Déesse

Return to Tutorials