Facial animation workflow question

A place for unofficial tutorials posted by MH users

Moderator: joepal

Re: Facial animation workflow question

Postby devrich » Tue Mar 31, 2015 3:35 am

unity2k wrote:
aialexander wrote:I hope everyone's projects are coming along smoothly! How is the plugin coming? Any news or updates? I'm very interested to see if it is ready yet! I would like to test it as soon as it is available!

I too would like to know if we can start looking forward to the plugin?

* Shamelessly adds a +1 for this * :-D
Don't settle for what someone else made -- upPIC your own [:.:] at: http://DevRich78.com/upPIC
devrich

Postby duststorm » Tue Mar 31, 2015 8:28 am

We still have no working exporter for animations that Blender accepts. This makes it impossible to export the face unit poses to Blender, which is holding up completion of the plugin.
MakeHuman™ developer
duststorm

Postby unity2k » Tue Mar 31, 2015 1:14 pm

duststorm wrote:We still have no working exporter for animations that Blender accepts. This makes it impossible to export the face unit poses to Blender, which is holding up completion of the plugin.

:(
unity2k

Postby ThomasL » Thu Apr 02, 2015 12:55 am

duststorm wrote:We still have no working exporter for animations that Blender accepts. This makes it impossible to export the face unit poses to Blender, which is holding up completion of the plugin.

That's a strange statement. In the old newrig repo (https://bitbucket.org/ThomasMakeHuman/newrig/downloads) I exported a sequence of face unit poses with both collada and fbx, and the animation shows up in Blender. For fbx one has to convert the exported file to binary with AD's fbx converter, of course. The poses look a bit strange in the FBX converter but are fine in Blender.
ThomasL

Postby duststorm » Thu Apr 02, 2015 7:50 am

We first generalized the rig format to be able to define bone local orientations (rolls in blender) using data only, without hardcoded features. We tried to keep it as straightforward as possible so went with reference planes only.
The rig data format is accompanied by a blender importer and exporter. This took some time to set up but it is finalized now.

As for collada:
There is something strange with the collada animation export: the first posed bone works, the children of it have a wrong pose applied.
Probably the axes of the transformation change with the pose orientation of the parent, I'm still trying to figure out the exact math.
FBX at the moment only supports one animation track, it still needs to be modified to support multiple animations.

I also attempted a binary FBX exporter that works directly in blender, but there are still some issues with passing the bone matrices.
MakeHuman™ developer
duststorm

Postby aialexander » Thu Apr 02, 2015 4:08 pm

Thanks, Duststorm, for the update! It's good to know that you guys are making progress despite hitting so many roadblocks. Thanks for being awesome!
aialexander

Postby aialexander » Wed Apr 15, 2015 10:33 pm

Any updates on how the plugin is coming along?
aialexander

Postby duststorm » Thu Apr 16, 2015 7:40 am

Still need some more time to get everything sorted out.
MakeHuman™ developer
duststorm

Postby aialexander » Tue May 19, 2015 7:05 pm

How is everything? Any new updates on the plugin's progress?
aialexander

Previous

Return to Tutorials