Three-Plait Braid

A place for unofficial tutorials posted by MH users

Moderator: joepal

Re: Three-Plait Braid

Postby brkurt » Wed Feb 11, 2015 9:10 pm

And here is the final model. Please note that I am not that interested in photo realism; my goal is to create 3d anime, which Blender does very well. Most of my textures will be done by hand using watercolors, then scanned in.

And here is the model, which includes the original ponytail from Alpha 5.1 (which only needs a little tweaking to be useful again), and Manuel's terrific hair braid.

http://www.geekopolis.ca/blender/threeHairPieces1_266a.blend
brkurt

Postby brkurt » Wed Feb 11, 2015 10:03 pm

Here is the old pony tail, with some very easy-to-do enhancements: (1) Solidify modifier; (2) Subsurface subdivision; (3) Grow/Shrink Along Normals alt + s .05.

That's it. This wig is perfectly fine for 3d anime.

brkurt

Postby devrich » Thu Feb 12, 2015 5:54 am

That is superb man!! :D
Don't settle for what someone else made -- upPIC your own [:.:] at: http://DevRich78.com/upPIC
devrich

Postby bbot22 » Thu Dec 10, 2015 6:16 pm

Hey @Op. Could you share this hair files with me please? Im looking for good hairs, but user contributed assets have only broken and bad hair.
bbot22

Postby Shaba1 » Fri Dec 11, 2015 12:21 am

I have been trying to find a way of doing a single braided ponytail coming out of the very back of a female head for years. Personal Note: My favorite hairstyle ofr a woman. I have made several attempts using a few tutorials off the web but NONE of them have quite looked right.
Shaba1

Postby brkurt » Fri Dec 11, 2015 2:18 am

Shaba1 wrote:I have been trying to find a way of doing a single braided ponytail coming out of the very back of a female head for years. Personal Note: My favorite hairstyle ofr a woman. I have made several attempts using a few tutorials off the web but NONE of them have quite looked right.

You have two options: (1) using the basic mesh tools in Blender, create a hair twist. Not quite a braid, but it does work with two plaits;
(2) Once you get to a three-plait braid, you need to use a different strategy: either use three curves, or three circle meshes and extrude them. :)

Manuel's three plait braid uses the second strategy, which requires a fair bit of skill with the proportional editing tool, and careful use of free extrusion (extruding without axis constraints). :?

I would suggest using instead highly-subdivided Bezier curves, and then actually creating a braid, the same as one would in real life. Most modellers shy away from Bezier curves, however. as it takes a lot of practice to use them smoothly. With this technique, you can then use the poly reducer tool to create braids with a few (or as many polygons) as you like. 8-)

What really kills me is that back in 2010 a programmer turned up on the forum who offered to create a 'braid interface' for MH. :shock:
brkurt

Postby MTKnife » Fri Dec 11, 2015 2:36 am

bbot22 wrote:Hey @Op. Could you share this hair files with me please? Im looking for good hairs, but user contributed assets have only broken and bad hair.

You realize the person you're asking is the one who uploaded all the hair you've just insulted, right?
MTKnife

Postby brkurt » Fri Dec 11, 2015 2:32 pm

MTKnife wrote:
bbot22 wrote:Hey @Op. Could you share this hair files with me please? Im looking for good hairs, but user contributed assets have only broken and bad hair.

You realize the person you're asking is the one who uploaded all the hair you've just insulted, right?

Not to worry; I threw bbot22 a challenge to use MakeClothes on another post. If he is for real, he'll go the distance; if not, he's quite forgettable. ;)
brkurt

Postby bbot22 » Fri Dec 11, 2015 4:59 pm

brkurt wrote:
MTKnife wrote:

Not to worry; I threw bbot22 a challenge to use MakeClothes on another post. If he is for real, he'll go the distance; if not, he's quite forgettable. ;)

@brkurt sorry if i insulted you, but i simply would like to see some realistic hair. I kinda dislike anime styled hair, and im looking for some good realistic hair. I didn't meant to insult you, that's my opinion. However your hair models are not working, maybe they are broken?
bbot22

Postby learning » Sat Dec 12, 2015 5:53 am

Turning an plastic/anime like hair into realistic hair is as easy as adding a realistic UV texture. Sadly, it's not easy at all, at least not for me :cry:
learning

PreviousNext

Return to Tutorials