Three-Plait Braid

A place for unofficial tutorials posted by MH users

Moderator: joepal

Three-Plait Braid

Postby brkurt » Tue Jan 27, 2015 3:04 am

Now that everyone is getting serious about hair styles, I'd like to revisit a topic I worked on in 2010, this time with the newest MH 1.1 mesh.

This is a how-to create a braid with three plaits: left, middle & right.

I'm going to do the prep and easy parts first, then finish with a complete braid about a meter long (medieval!) and a texture map.

The first step is to create a scalp and a wig mesh. I like to the first vertex group 'bathingCap'

This vertex group needs to be selected, duplicated, and then separated. Once separated, it needs to be solidified, and another vertex group called 'wig' is created.

This second vertex group--wig--is the one we work on; the scalp vertex group is untouched (which means it will always align to the original mesh).

And the first complete braid:

Now to the creation of the braids. My approach is a bit arbitrary, but manageable.

And now to the actual creation of the plaits or strands of the braid. Note that I've applied Angela Guedette's approach of using materials to keep the vertex groups clear in my mind.

Each braid has four steps. And here they are:

And finally, the braid before I tighten it up (which is actually the most difficult part of the process). I will only post the model when the braid is complete.

brkurt

Re: Three-Plait Braid

Postby devrich » Tue Jan 27, 2015 8:42 pm

Hey! This a great tutorial, thank you for showcasing this!
Don't settle for what someone else made -- upPIC your own [:.:] at: http://DevRich78.com/upPIC
devrich

Postby SaltyCowdawg » Wed Jan 28, 2015 1:15 am

how do you go about texturing those... (I'm curious)
Peter L. Berghold <peter@berghold.net> or <Salty.Cowdawg@gmail.com>
Retired IT with 30+ years in the business
SaltyCowdawg

Postby brkurt » Wed Jan 28, 2015 2:35 am

SaltyCowdawg wrote:how do you go about texturing those... (I'm curious)

Texturing is actually not that hard; the big thing is knowing how to create the seams you will need.

There are two ways: use the Automatic texture generator in Blender, or plan your UV maps. I prefer the second approach.

Normally, I would create seams around the 'wig' vertex group; as a matter of fact, that's one of the reasons I created it.

After that, it's easy: create a seam that separates each plait of the braid, and then split it on the long axis.

Here's what the UV map looks like:

brkurt

Postby SaltyCowdawg » Wed Jan 28, 2015 2:01 pm

OK... that's sorta what I thought but I wanted a read on this since I've only gotten the hang of UVs in the last three months. Now if I could only figure out what to do with UVs that end up looking like a bowl of spaghetti. :-)
Peter L. Berghold <peter@berghold.net> or <Salty.Cowdawg@gmail.com>
Retired IT with 30+ years in the business
SaltyCowdawg

Postby brkurt » Wed Jan 28, 2015 3:14 pm

SaltyCowdawg wrote:OK... that's sorta what I thought but I wanted a read on this since I've only gotten the hang of UVs in the last three months. Now if I could only figure out what to do with UVs that end up looking like a bowl of spaghetti. :-)

The next step for texture mapping is to export the UV map as SVG; this allows you the use of much better 2d painting programs. My personal preference is for Inkscape, but there are lots of others.

The big thing is to use the SVG as the bottom layer of the new 2d drawing; that way you can create endless variations of shade and color.

Note: the smaller head shape at the top left of the UV map is the scalp; this should be painted in flesh tones. The goal is to diminish the effect of 'helmet head'.
brkurt

Postby brkurt » Thu Jan 29, 2015 2:52 am

Okay, I believe that I can release the first Blender model of the braid:

And here is the model. I've used only the Subsurface modifier; otherwise all the trick stuff is:
(1) When using Grow Along Normals (Alt s) make sure the 3d cursor is in the center of the braid mesh; then you can fatten the braids overall;
(3) Use edge loops, and only smooth vertices a few loops at a time;
(4) Use proportional editing near to the scalp, and make sure that you control the scope of the proportional edit by the key sequence of 'g, Alt m - '.

http://www.geekopolis.ca/blender/threePlaitBraid1_273a.blend
brkurt

Postby brkurt » Sun Feb 01, 2015 4:47 am

Here is the same braid with three knots (?) completed:

You can try this model yourself:

brkurt

Postby brkurt » Wed Feb 04, 2015 2:28 am

And here you go, a six-knot braid, with a simple texture map. (No, the UV map and the texture isn't perfect, this is just proof-of-concept).

and the latest version:

brkurt

Postby devrich » Wed Feb 04, 2015 11:34 pm

Very nicely done, brkurt! :D
Don't settle for what someone else made -- upPIC your own [:.:] at: http://DevRich78.com/upPIC
devrich

Next

Return to Tutorials