Tutorial Request: How to use the new rig

A place for unofficial tutorials posted by MH users

Moderator: joepal

Tutorial Request: How to use the new rig

Postby blalan » Thu Jan 15, 2015 8:35 pm

So, I'm using the lastest nightly build and am quite lost on how to use the new default rigs (default with and without toes). Could someone create a tutorial about using them for animation? Also are custom shapes in the works? And IK controls?
blalan

Re: Tutorial Request: How to use the new rig

Postby brkurt » Fri Jan 23, 2015 1:39 pm

blalan wrote:So, I'm using the lastest nightly build and am quite lost on how to use the new default rigs (default with and without toes). Could someone create a tutorial about using them for animation? Also are custom shapes in the works? And IK controls?

To get you started, you can use my model: http://www.geekopolis.ca/blender/wushu_kungfu/ginaCaranoWuBuQuan1_272b.blend

I use the 'stop action' approach at the moment, because the new Blender exports and controls aren't finished.

I have grouped the bones so that they are easier to analyze.

Load this model into Blender, and run the animation. Your best bet in understanding the animation will be to track movement with the Dope Sheet.

If you use Maya or Modo instead, from Blender you can export as fbx or bvh.
brkurt

Postby blalan » Fri Jan 23, 2015 6:31 pm

Thanks for your file, I will play around with it. I was mostly referring to how to animate with the facial bones. Some are self explanatory, but others, like the 2 big eye bones on the top of the head are confusing me. As well as the best way to go about creating mouth shape poses for lip-syncing. I'm coming closer to understanding how to use the rig, but it would be nice if the creator or someone who knows whats going on with all the bones could kinda create a quick walk through. Just a thought. Thanks, though.
blalan

Postby brkurt » Fri Jan 23, 2015 7:17 pm

blalan wrote:Thanks for your file, I will play around with it. I was mostly referring to how to animate with the facial bones. Some are self explanatory, but others, like the 2 big eye bones on the top of the head are confusing me. As well as the best way to go about creating mouth shape poses for lip-syncing. I'm coming closer to understanding how to use the rig, but it would be nice if the creator or someone who knows whats going on with all the bones could kinda create a quick walk through. Just a thought. Thanks, though.

Okay, you're on the right track with your questions.

Here is a very important starter, which I call the Mystery of 'O':

http://forum.makehuman.org/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=10750&p=24310&hilit=mystery+of+o#p24310

The new controls around the eyes are for what is called the true or Duchenne smile (after the doctor who discovered its musculature). The eye controls are a bit experimental; I have for example created in IK link such that the smallest bone controls the largest, which makes for natural eyebrow and 'eye twinkle' movement.
brkurt

Postby duststorm » Fri Jan 23, 2015 11:48 pm

The face rig is not intended to be controlled directly, as that would be quite difficult and tedious.
Instead, it should probably be used mostly by combining (blending) a few base expression poses together, using an animation controller. While these poses are already supplied in MakeHuman, the controllers are not. It's pretty much still in development.
MakeHuman™ developer
duststorm

Postby blalan » Sat Jan 24, 2015 4:28 am

What do you mean the poses are supplied? Are the exported with the rig? I have tried exporting DAE and FBX, but I didn't see any poses in the pose library. Is it a feature that isn't in the unstable yet?
blalan

Postby brkurt » Sat Jan 24, 2015 12:19 pm

blalan wrote:What do you mean the poses are supplied? Are the exported with the rig? I have tried exporting DAE and FBX, but I didn't see any poses in the pose library. Is it a feature that isn't in the unstable yet?

The poses and the attendant shape keys are still in development.

The model I offered you can be used to create the 15 viseme poses that are required for an English-speaking character.
Since the final MH 1.1 hasn't been locked down yet, my intention was to show someone with 3d animation skills how to create universal visemes, which can then be tailored to an individual character (or scene) using shape keys.

The most difficult viseme, and the first step is the creation of 'O'. My approach is counter to any other viseme tutorial I have seen, which always begins with 'Ah' (the simple jaw drop 15 degrees along the X axis).

Once 'O' is created, then U, Q, and W are actually easy.

The next most difficult set is: "Ee', "Ai', "Sh'; and "Th". (two diptongs and two combined consonants).

M, B, and P are easy, being mouth bones rotated out.

The last one in my system is 'Ah'. It is best to do the hardest ones first. :)
brkurt

Postby duststorm » Sat Jan 24, 2015 4:58 pm

blalan wrote:What do you mean the poses are supplied? Are the exported with the rig?

No, not yet.
Come to think of it, it's possible the data file has not been commited either. In any case, it's not finished yet.
MakeHuman™ developer
duststorm

Return to Tutorials