A place for unofficial tutorials posted by MH users

Moderator: joepal

Re: Install BlenderTools on Windows 8.1

Postby duststorm » Tue Jul 15, 2014 8:34 pm

MakeHuman™ developer
duststorm

Postby Julia1995 » Thu Aug 14, 2014 2:54 pm

Hello, I'm new here. I just downloaded makehuman. I have the similar problem like zem here but I can't even find the "Blender foundation" folder @@ I find the Appdata and roaming folder but nothing like Blender foundation is there :( Help pls, thank you
Julia1995

Postby Manuel » Thu Aug 14, 2014 4:02 pm

Hi Julia, welcome!
WIndows ?
Manuel

Postby RobBaer » Thu Aug 14, 2014 9:38 pm

Julia1995 wrote:Hello, I'm new here. I just downloaded makehuman. I have the similar problem like zem here but I can't even find the "Blender foundation" folder @@ I find the Appdata and roaming folder but nothing like Blender foundation is there :( Help pls, thank you

Typically you want to place Blendertools in: C:\Program Files\Blender Foundation\Blender\2.71\scripts\addons on Windows 8.1. The MakeHuman tools folders you should copy are in c:\Makehuman\blendertools. These include the MakeClothes, MakeTarget, Makewalk, mhx_runtime, and mhx_folders.

To install the tools in Blender after copying, use File | user Preferences | Addons tab in Blender in the usual fashion. The only other thing that is sometimes necessary is deleting an old mhx import addon that ships with Blender but which is now obsolete.

Hope this gets you started.
RobBaer

Postby Julia1995 » Fri Aug 15, 2014 12:50 am

My C:\Program Files doesn't have Blender foundation folder. Actually, it doesn't in the whole computer (use searched tool) @@ Did I miss some step there? I download the .zip file for window and it said I just needed to extrack and use the program
Julia1995

Postby Manuel » Fri Aug 15, 2014 9:45 am

Julia1995 wrote: I download the .zip file for window and it said I just needed to extrack and use the program

Are you talking of MakeHuman zip, right?

But Blender is a different software, that needs to be installed separately: www.blender.org
Manuel

Postby Blue_X_Studios » Wed Mar 11, 2015 9:23 pm

I get the feeling there is a communications issue here ... I also do not have a scrpts/addons folder in windows 8.1 for blender ...

my path goes ... users/My place/AppData/Roaming/BlenderFoundation/Blender/2.73/config ... the end ... at 2.73 there is only config there is no scripts folder and no addons folder ... any ideas ... and no I am not interested in the link to the blender site that says the same thing ... the path they are referencing does not exist ... this may be why some people are having a difficult time getting these addons loaded ... did somebody move some folders?

Edit: grammatical
Blue_X_Studios

Postby joepal » Thu Mar 12, 2015 10:49 am

Skim through this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3CCHGX-6Mtk

The section on blender + blendtools starts at 8:10

(the installation of blendtools specifically, if you know you have already installed blender properly, begins at 10:10)
Joel Palmius (LinkedIn)
MakeHuman Infrastructure Manager
http://www.palmius.com/joel
joepal

Postby RobBaer » Sat Mar 14, 2015 2:57 pm

Blue_X_Studios wrote:I get the feeling there is a communications issue here ... I also do not have a scrpts/addons folder in windows 8.1 for blender ...

my path goes ... users/My place/AppData/Roaming/BlenderFoundation/Blender/2.73/config ... the end ... at 2.73 there is only config there is no scripts folder and no addons folder ... any ideas ... and no I am not interested in the link to the blender site that says the same thing ... the path they are referencing does not exist ... this may be why some people are having a difficult time getting these addons loaded ... did somebody move some folders?

Edit: grammatical

My user name on a Windows 8.1 PRO machine is "Rob Baer" and this is my path for MH Tools addons in Blender 2.73a:
C:\Users\Rob Baer\AppData\Roaming\Blender Foundation\Blender\2.73\scripts\addons

However, my recollection (it's been a while) is that Blender 2.73 install did not by default create the .\scripts\addons folders at the end of the path in my user area. I had to manually create them manually. I'm pretty sure (although this was even longer ago) that this was not the case for previous versions of Blender. Remember also that appdata is by default a hidden folder so you might need to unhide it..

If you have admin privleges on your machine you can also just add the MakeHuman tools folders to: C:\Program Files\Blender Foundation\Blender\2.73\scripts (with any appropriate adjustments if you moved the standard Blender install).
RobBaer

Postby Déesse » Sat Mar 14, 2015 6:18 pm

For some people it might be easier to use the Portable-App-version of blender on Windows. You can choose your own directory and send an icon to your desktop. You will have no problems finding the path you need to install the folders, nothing is hidden. Using the Portable-App-UI you can enable updates, so you will always have the newest version of blender and your blender-preferences will be kept. Maybe from time to time you'll have to compare if the MakeHuman-Blendertools have to be updated too. You can even integrate MakeHuman into the PortableApps-folder, so everything is well organized :D

blenderportable.jpg

portableapps.jpg
Déesse

Previous

Return to Tutorials