MakeHuman To Blender series with UE4 Export routine & Mocap

A place for unofficial tutorials posted by MH users

Moderator: joepal

MakeHuman To Blender series with UE4 Export routine & Mocap

Postby Kingbadger3D » Fri May 30, 2014 1:35 pm

Hi Guys, Love the work you've been doing so i decided to make a start to finish tutorial series for Blender that covers creating your characters in make human and exporting to Blender, Importing Mocap data to your character, Fixing the Mocap data on your custom model and the full working export routine from Blender to the Unreal Engine 4, Getting your animation on character in UE4. Only thing im missing right now is how to effect the import script for makehuman to Blender to fix the fact deform bones are linked to parents & the parents get exported with the character even when selecting deform only bones on export. Riggify has this issue as well but can be fixed by editing the Generate.py file in riggify directory in Blender addons at line 322:

for bone in bones:
#if obj.data.bones[bone].name.startswith(DEF_PREFIX):
if obj.data.bones[bone].name.startswith(ORG_PREFIX):
obj.data.bones[bone].use_deform = True
else:
obj.data.bones[bone].use_deform = False

Just comment out the DEF prefix and change to ORG, This then fixes the vertex groups generated by Riggify for the deform bones which means when you export you end up with only 80 ish bones rather than 150 if the above file is not modified.

Im sure Makehuman MUST be doing something similar so if the devs could please help me to modify the required files to in make human so when i export my character to real-time engines in only end up with the 85 or so bones i need and want and not 155 (even with deform bones only selected on export). If we can get this sorted Makehuman will be fantastic for real-time work and ill be more than willing if the devs help me out to help them and all you out by creating more and more high quality tutorials for free. Cheers KB

Check out the entire tutorial series so far at:

http://www.youtube.com/user/KingBadger3d
Kingbadger3D

Re: MakeHuman To Blender series with UE4 Export routine & Mo

Postby duststorm » Wed Jun 11, 2014 1:51 am

That's interesting. :)

Thomas is the only one that knows about the rig formats, so he'd have to help there.
The game rig already gives you a pretty minimal rig. Perhaps you could create a simple script in Blender that deletes the bones you don't want, based on their names. That would certainly be the easiest approach, as opposed to figuring out the internals of MH rig formats.
MakeHuman™ developer
duststorm

Re: MakeHuman To Blender series with UE4 Export routine & Mo

Postby Epicurean_Dream » Sun Jul 13, 2014 7:56 pm

I'm having some problems. I'm using UDK3 and the FBX export has no bones when in udk. I'm following the videos to the letter. Except I have to use the binary export, rather than ASCII. Any ideas?

PSK exporter crashes when I try and export the model and rig. It exports other models/rigs fine though. I'm a bit stumped.
Epicurean_Dream

Return to Tutorials