Makehuman Clothing Tutorial: Covering the Shoulder

A place for unofficial tutorials posted by MH users

Moderator: joepal

Makehuman Clothing Tutorial: Covering the Shoulder

Postby brkurt » Mon May 05, 2014 7:48 pm

Thanks duststorm for the pointers. Let's start over.

The goal is to create a clothing template (a body stocking) that would flow over the standard Makehuman mesh, without the need to hide the body underneath.

I have decided to use the Alpha 5.1 mesh as my underlying model, because of the constant demand for the T-Pose, and because the deformations in the T-pose are more severe than with the A-frame.

This requires the integration of several Blender techniques: (1) the new retopology tool--the magnet icon; (2) the mirror modifier; (3) adding new primitives in Edit mode, and joining them to a center polygon.

Here are two images, showing all three techniques in action:

Last edited by brkurt on Thu May 08, 2014 2:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
brkurt

Re: Makehuman Clothing Tutorial: Covering the Shoulder

Postby duststorm » Tue May 06, 2014 12:15 am

An easier solution to this problem could be to improve the topology flow of your tshirt. Too many edges flow inward towards the collar, if you make them flow over the shoulder, creating a much denser topology in that area, the shoulders will probably automatically be better covered.

The screenshot with shoulders posed down shows this extreme lack of geometry above the shoulders, causing a very sharp, not round, downward slope with too much polygon stretching.
MakeHuman™ developer
duststorm

Postby brkurt » Fri May 09, 2014 12:55 pm

duststorm wrote:An easier solution to this problem could be to improve the topology flow of your tshirt. Too many edges flow inward towards the collar, if you make them flow over the shoulder, creating a much denser topology in that area, the shoulders will probably automatically be better covered.

The screenshot with shoulders posed down shows this extreme lack of geometry above the shoulders, causing a very sharp, not round, downward slope with too much polygon stretching.

Here is the simplest solution, using the fewest number of quads, but still using the original template. It looks like a surgical scrup top to me.

Next, lets add a subsurf modifier, and put it through a walk cycle:

Contact Left, Front View

Contact Right, Front View

Contact Right, Rear View

Note that we will still need to create corrective shape keys, but they will be necessary for the folds that cloth makes.
brkurt

Postby brkurt » Fri May 09, 2014 10:08 pm

Let's try another garment on a similar model. We will still begin with the T-Pose, but I have relaxed to clavicle bones, to drop the shoulders (Rotate with Constraint along Y-Axis).

From the left front:

From the right front:

From the left rear:

From the right rear:

So far, so good. One could add a line a vertices from the clavicles, to make it a little smoother, but it's all very easy in terms of shape keys.

Now, let's make this a little more realistic and a little more difficult by adding short sleeves:

From the left front:

From the right front:

Now, shape keys are more difficult. And now, we have to decide what kind of cloth it is.

The next step is to create a simple fix-it shape key that removes holes and illegal mesh intersections.

The last step wil be to create a higher level of resolution of this mesh, so that we can use the Scuplt tool to create folds.

For this model, I will use only drop and twist folds.
brkurt

Postby brkurt » Sat May 10, 2014 5:41 pm

Moving right along, let's try a smock. This model uses about 1000 vertices --before the Subsurf Modifier is added to the stack--and has very few pop-through points.

Remember to check all your vertex groups after you do loop cut, or add an edge loop! I had the upper legs and hips in the same group, and the legs wouldn't lift high enough.

Be that as it may, this model is fine for the base shape.

Contact Left Front, Object View

Contact Left Front, Edit View

Contact Left Rear, Object View

Contact Left Rear, Edit View

Last edited by brkurt on Sat May 10, 2014 10:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
brkurt

Postby brkurt » Sat May 10, 2014 10:08 pm

Here is the final mesh for the Basic Shape Key. The biggest problem is that Blender is normally configured to snap your work to a grid, but here you need to work in diagonals. Things like smoothing vertices and using Shrinkwrap become quite problematic.

Note how trivial the 'poke-throughs' are, and how well the sleeve clears the torso.

And here is a Blender internal render.

http://youtu.be/XzHeS-5FzLc
brkurt

Postby brkurt » Mon May 12, 2014 7:31 pm

Let's finish this tutorial, by using this new approach to 3d garment design on an older model that I affectionately call the "Bronze Goddesss".

Here is the new approach, using the Contact Left walk cycle pose. From the front:

From the rear:

And here is the YouTube video. I'm particularly interested in how realistic the right leg looks during recoil. Sheer luck!

http://youtu.be/Uv9aYeZnGes
brkurt

Postby portaro » Wed Aug 13, 2014 1:17 am

Uhau is a nice and very good work
portaro

Return to Tutorials