Bo's tutorial MakeHuman Alpha 8 models to SL and OS

A place for unofficial tutorials posted by MH users

Moderator: joepal

Re: Bo's tutorial MakeHuman Alpha 8 models to SL and OS

Postby duststorm » Mon Feb 02, 2015 11:00 am

Bo Orsini wrote:the heads and tails of the bones differ from the original SL Skeleton
(...)

For example; mChest tail is way too low (...)

Does that matter any? As long as the children of that bone have the right head position and the right parent relationship the length of bones should not matter.
Do you have reason to assume this matters in SL?

BTW, this is not a problem with MakeHuman but rather with the Blender Collada importer, or more precisely, with the COLLADA format because it only supports joints-based skeletons, not bone-based. This means that only the joint head positions are specified, and the importer can use any number of tricks to guess what the tail position must be. The tail positions of bones at the end of a chain (bones without children) are impossible to know, so it must make a guess.
What you're seeing is Blender setting wrong bone lengths for bones with more than 1 children.

For skeletal animation, you only need the joint positions, not the bone tails. So I have good reason to assume that it will not matter for SL. On top of that, SL swallows COLLADA files, so the moment you export from Blender in COLLADA you lose all the information again anyway.

Important note: The just released version 2.73 of Blender contains fixes so skeletons in COLLADA files are better loaded.
For more information about that, and the things I explained in this post, see here: http://wiki.blender.org/index.php/Dev:R ... .73/Addons
MakeHuman™ developer
duststorm

Postby Edde » Sat Feb 14, 2015 7:15 pm

Hello, I follow all steps.

I use blender 2.70 and 2.69. I installed the MHaddons on blender.
I am lost on step between step 15-16
http://gyazo.com/dce100aa34f30ac84884fde0b8142f61

What I should do?

THank you
Edde

Postby Edde » Sat Feb 14, 2015 9:21 pm

Dear Bo Orsini,

I follow all steps and uploaded to SL and the body looks distorced.

This is the original art: http://gyazo.com/e1b07832910ff7a9c2b91114f8c9cca4

The file in SL: http://gyazo.com/6147efd5861a52c59f8a517fe1c56b46

And the file when I wear it looks distorted, especilly on torso/arms
( my shape in SL is perfect with human proportions) :

http://gyazo.com/4b5b53e7433ad6e2858c0f50cab2e1f5

What is happening? I am sure I did everything right as you said . Except ( I am not sure ) about step 16 on blender.
Edde

Postby Bo Orsini » Sun Feb 15, 2015 9:49 am

Edde wrote:Hello, I follow all steps.

This is because you forgot to hide the camera and light probably. And you seemed to rotate around the wrong axis enabling all layers with objects.
Looking at your next post, you succeeded anyway so this is merely a reply for other visitors. ;-)

What is happening? I am sure I did everything right as you said . Except ( I am not sure ) about step 16 on blender.

You did everything right. Alas, the joints from MH and SL differ. I'm trying to convince the team to update the Opensim/SL rig to match both world but it seems to be a huge problem to relocate a few heads and tails from bones to make the rig compatible and wear existing mesh clothing... (fyi, I'm doing that myself now.) So, reset your shape in SL (create a new male standard basic shape and change nothing), wear it.
Also relog after changing your mesh body to let SL read the correct proportions from the MH body during the process, because sometimes you end up in the ground a bit or appear to hover above the ground (and you were sure you enabled 'feet on ground')! So, relogging usually fixes that.

Did you also upload with Joints enabled? So it keeps all joint positions from the MH Armature?

Also note that the tutorial needs an updated version. It has already become MUCH easier with newer versions to create a body and upload to SL. The steps in Blender are almost not needed anymore and only used to import and export. (A recent MH Unstable Nightly version plus Blender 2.73a are needed for that.)
Bo Orsini (SL)
Bo Orsini

Postby CursaCharisma » Sun Feb 15, 2015 1:08 pm

When I use MH 1.0.2, and Bo's method of using Blender to set t-pose and rotation, nude avatars come through fine, with a bit of shape slider tinkering in OpenSim needed after import.

Since MakeClothes is based on the a-pose, though, skirts I make with it split strangely in OpenSim. This made me happy to see the t-pose included in MH nightly 1716. Sure enough, if I put on the MC skirts inside MH, they come through behaving very well in OpenSim.

The problem now is the one Bo is talking about: specfically, the shoulders are not just rotated but moved up vertically inside MH when put in t-pose with the OpenSim skeleton on. This cannot be ameliorated after import into OpenSim.

If the effect I am experiencing is not clear from this description, I can e-mail or UL screenshots.
CursaCharisma

Postby Edde » Sun Feb 15, 2015 5:43 pm

Bo Orsini wrote:
Edde wrote:Hello, I follow all steps.

This is because you forgot to hide the camera and light probably. And you seemed to rotate around the wrong axis enabling all layers with objects.
Looking at your next post, you succeeded anyway so this is merely a reply for other visitors. ;-)

You did everything right. Alas, the joints from MH and SL differ. I'm trying to convince the team to update the Opensim/SL rig to match both world but it seems to be a huge problem to relocate a few heads and tails from bones to make the rig compatible and wear existing mesh clothing... (fyi, I'm doing that myself now.) So, reset your shape in SL (create a new male standard basic shape and change nothing), wear it.
Also relog after changing your mesh body to let SL read the correct proportions from the MH body during the process, because sometimes you end up in the ground a bit or appear to hover above the ground (and you were sure you enabled 'feet on ground')! So, relogging usually fixes that.

Did you also upload with Joints enabled? So it keeps all joint positions from the MH Armature?

Also note that the tutorial needs an updated version. It has already become MUCH easier with newer versions to create a body and upload to SL. The steps in Blender are almost not needed anymore and only used to import and export. (A recent MH Unstable Nightly version plus Blender 2.73a are needed for that.)

Dear Bo Orsini, I follow all steps ou did. All of them. I did a RIG before using avaStar and the Makehuman woksm but its to hard using avastar everytime to do that. I think your mathod is more simple and fast ( thank you) . But I think I am doing something worng on STEP 16 on BLENDER. can you make a printscreen of each click on STEP 16 on blender part ?? Should I click "R", "Z" and space? and after it turn the avatar 90º to right side? Well, sorry for simple questions but its not clear to me. Thank you so much for all

PS: Right now I did a NEW second life shape with no modifications and the makehuman avatar still looking in the same way
Edde

Postby Edde » Sun Feb 15, 2015 6:14 pm

The same process using avastar, it looks ok. I will only need to make some weight paint adjustiments of pelvis.

http://gyazo.com/8b9454fd6bb92e1fe820ee8705a6be0e
Edde

Postby Bo Orsini » Sun Feb 15, 2015 8:47 pm

Edde wrote:Should I click "R", "Z" and space? and after it turn the avatar 90º to right side? Well, sorry for simple questions but its not clear to me. Thank you so much for all

If you have selected all objects in the 3D window (without camera and light) (or simply press the letter A):

16. Press the following keys after each other and make sure you have a good view: First [R] and then [Z] after. Hold [CTRL] for rotation steps of 5 degrees and move your mouse around so that everything you selected rotates PLUS 90 degrees and so your model faces the positive X and that is CRUCIAL!

No, you use the keys on your keyboard after each other in object mode: Letter R (activate Rotate) and letter Z (around Z axis) after. Once that function is active you can hold CTRL for steps during rotation and move your mouse to actually rotate until the model faces the X and then simply release CTRL. Press numpad 3 after you're done and the model should be staring at you on your screen. Then proceed to the next step. ;-)
Bo Orsini (SL)
Bo Orsini

Postby CursaCharisma » Mon Feb 16, 2015 7:29 am

Hi Edde,

Is there a nice tutorial like Bo's for going from MakeHuman to Blender/Avastar to SL or OpenSim?

Edde wrote:The same process using avastar, it looks ok. I will only need to make some weight paint adjustiments of pelvis.

http://gyazo.com/8b9454fd6bb92e1fe820ee8705a6be0e
CursaCharisma

Postby CursaCharisma » Mon Feb 16, 2015 7:41 am

Hi Bo,

Alas, the joints from MH and SL differ. I'm trying to convince the team to update the Opensim/SL rig to match both world but it seems to be a huge problem to relocate a few heads and tails from bones to make the rig compatible and wear existing mesh clothing... (fyi, I'm doing that myself now.)

Are you doing that inside Blender? Is it possible you might provide a lovely step by step tutorial on how to do that?
:)
CursaCharisma

PreviousNext

Return to Tutorials