A place for unofficial tutorials posted by MH users

Moderator: joepal

Bo's tutorial MakeHuman Alpha 8 models to SL and OS

Postby Bo Orsini » Sat Jan 11, 2014 6:05 pm

NEW TUTORIAL for MH 1.1.0 models: HERE
====================================

MakeHuman Alpha 8 to Collada for Second Life and OSGrid Tutorial

Used for this tutorial:
MH Alpha 8 revision 6720 (Friday Jan 10th 2014) including data from myself and older revisions (skin, teeth, etc)
All addons for Blender installed (MakeHuman Exchange and Makewalk are the most important ones you need)
Blender 2.69 64bit
Windows 7 64bit
Firestorm Viewer for SL, using the Betagrid (no cost for uploads).

1. Create and shape your model in MH;
2. When you're done modelling, click Geometries/Eyes and choose low-poly on the right;
3. Also, click Teeth (if you really need it!) and choose one of the models on the right, base for example;
4. Proxies then, I still have the best results with the None!!! But you're free to choose a different one. I recommend choosing None = most detailed mesh proxy.
5. Genitals, if you're a boy, check on the right. If you're a girl, None.
6. Eyebrows? Sure, if you want to apply, go ahead. Otherwise choose None.
7. Next is choose a material for all options chosen; Materials/Skin Materials. It's actually not relevant but it saves you searching for the textures after uploading. They will all be saved in a folder above the folder where you save the final model. Later more about this.
8. DO NOT SKIP THIS STEP: Pose/Animate and then click the Skeleton tab! On the right, choose the second_life_rig with 26 bones! Not the 19 (check on the left), not the game not the humanik, Select the 26 bone SL rig.
9. Don't panic if the avatar looks funny textured, it shows that you applied the rig.
10. Click Files and Save your MHM body first so you always have a back-up. Click on the ... to browse for a folder, type a good name with characteristics about the body as filename. In my case something like MH8_Male_length_SL_Rig_26_John and HIT SAVE in the dialog and Save again in the MH window! Now your body has been saved as <filename>.mhm
11. Click Files again and click tab Export;
12. Choose the following for a MHX export: Mesh Format, Blender exchange (mhx). On the right, enable: Feet on Ground and Meter ONLY.
13. Click ... again and find the same folder where you just saved the .mhm and type something meaningful there like MH8_Male_length_SL_Rig_26_John_v1. Hit save and you see again the entire path appearing like under 10, and this time you need to click Export. This might take a while depending on your machine.
14. You're now done in Makehuman! You can close it if you like or save your model again if you see an * appearing behind the filename in the header. It does mean that you changed something and it better not be something drastic.

PART 2
I expect that you have installed at least the addons 'MakeHuman Exchange' and 'Makewalk' from the MakeHuman package. If you didn't, please do before you import your model, using the info found via the explorer here:

Tut_Install_addons.png
Install the addons in Blender

1. Start Blender and click outside the Splash screen to have the default start-up file loaded. Should show you a Cube, Camera and Light. ([MW] Mousewheel back/forward is zooming. [MRB] Mouse Right selects!)
2. Already installed the addons before? Good, go to 3!
2a. If you just installed the addons, you need to refresh the addons folder first and make sure it's selected in Blender. [CTRL+ALT+U] opens User Prefs, [LMB] Addons, [LMB] Refresh, and wait a few secs. Search for MakeHuman on the left in the magnifier field. All 4 Addons from MH should show up on the right. Enable at least .mhx and MakeWalk. [LMB] Save User Settings. Close the window.
3. [MRB] the cube and press [DEL], [LMB] Delete to confirm.
4. In the top menu bar aka Header: File/Import/MakeHuman (.mhx). Use the System or System Bookmarks to locate your saved <model_name>.mhx (Warning, Blender can be a little slow using this filebrowser system, [LMB] One-clicks have a small delay, just have patience and don't doubleclick or you might fire up the wrong file.)
5. BEFORE you [LMB] your .mhx in the filebrowser, look at the left for Import MHX and [LMB] tick Advanced Settings.
6. Enable ONLY: Enforce version, Mesh, Proxies, Clothes. And now you can [LMB] your <model_name>.mhx from the folder where you saved it. [LMB] on the right 'Import MHX'. And wait! Do not act fast and have patience!
7. If all went ok, you see the main window with your model and a few colorful lines around your model. Look on the right, top window if you see Scene with nodes under that containing Camera and Lamp, PLUS your <model_name>!!!
8. [MW] to zoom in and out, [MWB+HOLD] to dolly around, [MWB+SHIFT] to reposition your view. Just don't [LMB] NOR [RMB] anything from your model yet. Just get used to those movements.
9. [NUM3] on the NUMPAD and NOT your keyboard (do that and you will panic - tip: CTRL+Z once.) shows the FRONT view. And now you say; Front??? But I see it rotated to the left aka the Negative Y axis! Indeed, but we're gonna fix that now.
10. Still in Pose Mode? (Look at the bottom of the screen, if not, [LMB] that little selection menu (Interaction mode) next to Pose and make sure it says Pose Mode.)
11. Press [A] to select ALL. Press [SPACE] and a window pops up; type T-pose. [LMB] option T-Pose => Rest Pose (and yes that sounds wrong. Trust me, it's ok.)
12. Your model snaps in T-POSE!!! It's not the t-pose from SL nor OSG, but it will do fine for uploading. Because this step is REALLY important.
13. Bottom screen, change from Pose Mode to Object Mode and press [A] TWICE after to select EVERYTHING.
14. Don't skip this next one: on the right top with your scene details, [LMB] Both eye icons from Camera and Lamp to hide them.
15. Still see green lines and outlined body? Good. If not: Press [A] until you see everything outlined Green. (Color may vary if you use a different layout.)
16. Press the following keys after each other and make sure you have a good view: First [R] and then [Z] after. Hold [CTRL] for rotation steps of 5 degrees and move your mouse around so that everything you selected rotates PLUS 90 degrees and so your model faces the positive X and that is CRUCIAL!
17. When done, [LMB] and the global rotation is done. DO NOT FORGET THE FOLLOWING STEP:
18. [CTRL+A] and choose Rotation in the selection, you MUST DO THIS or it will not apply this transformation during export. Apply that rotation aka [LMB].
19. You're done. Now it's time to export! Choose File/Export/Collada (.dae). Again that file browser with the slow responding LMBs... Anyway, choose the folder where to save your new model but stop before actually hitting that Export COLLADA button on the top right.
20. Left pane again shows also Export COLLADA, and choose the standard Operator Preset 'SL+OpenSim Rigged'. Leave all presets like it is EXCEPT the following: ENABLE 'Include Material Textures' and DISABLE 'Deform Bones Only'.
21. Change the filename untitled.dae into something with more info about your model and then [LMB] 'Export Collada' on the RIGHT. HAVE PATIENCE! Once clicked, wait, it might take a while.
22. If you want, save this 'scene' as .blend file too, Just pick Save As from the file menu and you also have a back up file from your rotated and rigged model for future clothing designs.
23. Close Blender, [CTRL+Q]

And now it's time to fire up your SL/OS viewer!

1. If you're familiar with uploading rigged Meshes, you can probably skip this. If not, start your viewer and log in. Betagrid or OSG or SL Maingrid, all works the same. However, SL MAIN WILL COST MONEY and you must have 'payment info used' AND completed that Mesh Intellectual Property Tutorial (10 questions about Mesh and copyrights) in your account.
2. When logged in, depending on your viewer, you need to upload a Mesh model, find that option first, browse to your saved <modelname>.dae and select it.
3. The Mesh uploader opens as a window, displaying your mesh model facing towards you in the preview and with info like this:
Tut_Upload_Model_SL.png
Mesh upload window

4. First, depending on testing or not, change the LOD settings of the Medium, Low and Lowest Level Of Detail aka LOD to 1 and select 'Avatar Shape' from the 'This model represents...' pull-down menu as shown below:
Tut_Upload_Model_SL_1.png
Mesh upload 1

5. Change to tab Upload Options and enable 'Include skin weight' and 'Include joint positions'. (Thanks to the 'Feet on Ground' option, you do not need to mess with the Z offset unless your body is THAT tall or small that you must.)
Tut_Upload_Model_SL_2.png
Mesh upload 2

6. When done, click that button 'Calculate weights & fee' once. The body will be checked for errors, weights and more blahblah by the server and returns this button below when all is safe:
Tut_Upload_Model_SL_3.png
Mesh upload 3

7. The button changes into 'Upload' and the cost to upload is visible. Also info about Land Impact, Download, Physics and Server is now displayed after calculating. This ALL depends on LOD settings and Vertice counts!!! So, it's NOT always an upload cost of L$ 14 on the main grid in SL. When you set all LODs to their original calculated values, the body can cost you around 50-70 Lindens. Even more for very complex models. So, KEEP THEM SIMPLE. I tend to use only LOD High and Medium as their original values and set Low and Lowest to 1 during a final upload.
And now you can click that 'Upload' button!
8. The model will appear in your 'Object' folder, find it there and attach it to your (stripped and with hidden with a full alpha layer) Avatar body like this:
Tut_Upload_Model_SL_4.png
How to attach 4

9. And this is how I look after applying the tutorial model. I didn't apply textures this time, feel free to test those yourself. You can find them in a subfolder of the folder where you saved your model. Use Edit Linked and CTRL+. to select linked parts one after the other to change its texture and as you see; my firestorm version does NOT support materials yet! (I use an outdated version for SL. New v4.5.1 will work for sure according to my OSG account.)
Tut_Upload_Model_SL_5.png
The result! 5

10. Last note on the linked parts: Yellow outlined = ROOT (Body), Blue = Child (Genitals,Teeth, whatever you added) on the pic above but this MAY vary, don't be sad when the root is suddenly the eyebrows, just unlink and link them all back selecting the BODY itself as last link. Might be important for our professionals. :p Good luck!

Bo (SL)
Yoshi (OS)

Don't forget that I'm not a pro with Blender. If things can be done faster, let us know below. if you succeeded in uploading a model and actually wear it, let us know too!!!
Last edited by Bo Orsini on Tue Feb 17, 2015 9:28 am, edited 4 times in total.
Bo Orsini (SL)
Bo Orsini

Re: MH Alpha 8 models to SL and OS Tutorial

Postby bigmac » Mon Jan 13, 2014 4:33 am

Great tut Bo, even I can follow these instructions. :)
You took allot of time writing it and on behalf of all Blender noobs ...we thank you.
If we are awake, then we can really dream.
bigmac

Re: MH Alpha 8 models to SL and OS Tutorial

Postby Bo Orsini » Mon Jan 13, 2014 8:02 am

bigmac wrote:Great tut Bo, even I can follow these instructions. :)

Haha, it took indeed a while to finish this tut, but tried to keep less important details out. I wrote it for anyone with has zero experience with MH, Blender AND SL/OS. So, everyone who is interested in using either one, specially SL/OS but don't know how, can do this if you read a bit and are seriously interested.

For me, SL is becoming less interesting, OSGrid is far more interesting and a paradise for experiments and testing with MH. Truth is, OS has bugs but they are really working on those. And now I'm going to compare both rigs (From machinima and MH) and see what the difference is in Blender.
Bo Orsini (SL)
Bo Orsini

Re: Bo's tutorial MakeHuman Alpha 8 models to SL and OS

Postby Bo Orsini » Fri Jan 17, 2014 10:12 am

I changed the subject of this tut because I think people still use the tut by MealeaYing. That's all fine when you use Alpha 7 but NOT ALPHA 8. This thread is specially made for MakeHuman Alpha 8.
Bo Orsini (SL)
Bo Orsini

Postby MealeaYing » Tue Feb 04, 2014 4:21 pm

Hi!
This would be great if it worked (for me)....
Bare in mind here that I am not complaining, Im just VERY confused and have been for all of the nightly builds I have tried since a.8 started.
I have a lot of problems with a.8, its simply not working in so many ways I don't know where to start listing them.
I guess at the beginning if there is one:

1) The model looks NOTHING like a real person (slick and smooth like its somewhat melted). (And unlike a.7 I cannot fix it, its weird and disconcerting.)
2) Textures don't work at all (see above) and when they do show up, which is rare and momentary, they are mapped wrong and soon vanish. Also my eyes are black pits.... eeek!
3) Export options turn on and off at random depending on what I attempt to select.
4) The export it self often does not happen at all, I have no idea why, it seems random.
5) In the skeleton section that you mention in step 8 I have two options but no information about which is correct, neither work or show up in Blender (I may have fixed this by turning on ALL of the plugins, I now have the word "bones" in one of the two SL rigs, I will test this). >>---> EDIT: Nope, it didn't work....
6) In the export section I again have a lot of stuff that seems broken, I don't know where to start because I have no idea of what it SHOULD do so I don't know that its doing it wrong, for example if I select Blender Exchange and then click ANY other option Blender Exchange is then deselected and the export fails, meaning nothing happens at all. In fact selecting more than one option is simply impossible. its like the little check box or radio buttons or what ever they are called are modal and only one can be on at a time.

That is the short list, and its stopping me dead in my tracks, I even tried importing a.7 files but with no luck, they simply do not show up, or perhaps I don't know where to look for them or how to export them, both are possible.

The thing here is that all of that stuff DID work in a.7 and still does thankfully. It seems to me that not only did the UI get harder to use in a.8 but a lot of things broke as well.

I don't know what to do here, a.8 seems like a total downgrade from a.7 even in Blender and ZBrush things are worse, no mapping for textures, lower quality models and no usable rigs as near as I can tell... I will have to stick with a.7 for now till I learn what I am doing wrong or if maybe I have a compatibility issue or something.
I am using Windows 8 and THAT causes all sorts of nightmares.
Gak.

So.
Now what?
GRIN!

Stuck in the muck,
Mealea
I did it, blame me, its my fault!
MealeaYing

Postby duststorm » Tue Feb 04, 2014 4:35 pm

I can't reproduce what you are getting, and I doubt you will get useful feedback with such a vague description.

Perhaps if you would back your problems with logfiles, then we might actually be able to help you.
MakeHuman™ developer
duststorm

Postby MealeaYing » Tue Feb 04, 2014 6:08 pm

duststorm wrote:I can't reproduce what you are getting, and I doubt you will get useful feedback with such a vague description.

Perhaps if you would back your problems with logfiles, then we might actually be able to help you.

Ok, I don't know how to do that (the log file thing I mean) but I will figure it out.... I would have thought maybe screenshots would be more useful...
I posted this here not to report bugs but to explain problems I have with the tutorial, but I will look at the bug reporting stuff now....
MealeaYing

Postby MealeaYing » Tue Feb 04, 2014 6:39 pm

Ok.... I followed the tutorial and have no results aside from the logfiles which are zipped and are here:
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/763 ... H-Logs.zip

Normal saving seems to work fine, the export results in nothing, no files at all.

I hope this is helpful!

Cheers!
Mealea
MealeaYing

Postby MealeaYing » Tue Feb 04, 2014 6:56 pm

Ok!
I got it to work, but I had to re-open the saved file and then re-export, I do not think its the correct rig however (it looks totally different in Blender) but I am looking into that (possibly I need to look back at the Blender part of the tutorial).
It did not export the texture files so far but that is not an issue, I can dig those up later, even so they don't seem to fit the model (like the UV map is wrong).

Progress! YAY!
MealeaYing

Postby duststorm » Tue Feb 04, 2014 7:16 pm

Looking at your log file, export seems to work, but that's a very strange export name you have chosen.
"Test-1.2-GeForceNotIntel"

It warns of this:
Code: Select all
-- WARNING -- expected extension '.mhx' but got '.2-GeForceNotIntel'

Because it expects name.mhx, not name.2-GeForceNotIntel

So it corrects your mistake and happily continues writing to "C:\Users\MealeaYing\Documents\makehuman\A8\exports\Test-1.mhx"
and this succeeds.
MakeHuman™ developer
duststorm

Next

Return to Tutorials