Is it possible to open an old model in V8 ?

A place for unofficial tutorials posted by MH users

Moderator: joepal

Is it possible to open an old model in V8 ?

Postby ivan louette » Mon Jan 06, 2014 10:51 am

Hello,

I did my African Woman model with the current 1.0 and would import it in a nightly build (V8). Is it possible and how can I do it ?

Thanks in advance,
ivan
ivan louette

Re: Is it possible to open an old model in V8 ?

Postby duststorm » Mon Jan 06, 2014 12:15 pm

No, it's not possible. Because of the new basemesh and completely remodeled targets the visual appearance of the model is completely different from A7. Therefore files saved in A7 cannot be loaded in A8.
Files saved in A8 will remain functional in newer versions of MH, as long as the basemesh remains the same (which planned to remain for quite a long time).
MakeHuman™ developer
duststorm

Postby ivan louette » Mon Jan 06, 2014 8:35 pm

Thanks,

I will recreate it in next months.

My first impressions with V8 were very different. It's speed seems much improved and you can control more details, for example in the face, but the result seems less smooth. I hope I will be able to get it working as I want.

ivan
ivan louette

Postby duststorm » Tue Jan 07, 2014 12:28 am

ivan louette wrote:but the result seems less smooth

There's more detail in the models. Using smooth (subdivide) solves a lot of the smoothness. I hope in the future we can add even more detail and smoothness using special normal maps for the body mesh.
Also have a look at the new "proportions" slider, which lets you choose between uncommon - common and idealistic (fashion) proportions.

Also, there's still work to be done in the face modeling department. :) We hope to be able to offer premade templates in the future to use as a base and produce varied faces from.
MakeHuman™ developer
duststorm

Postby ivan louette » Tue Jan 07, 2014 11:36 am

Thanks a lot for the infos !

Of course more details would be very useful, specially in the face area ! For example I think the lips can be more or less contoured or sublined with a slight groove. I think at african women who often have this charming characteristic which separate them from the rest of the face and enhance their relief.

On the other hand I think the neck's shape could be more flexible too. At the moment I have a tiny problem in this area, I can't remove a prominence at the upper part of the nape of the neck and this relief breaks the kinf of smooth neck I would given to my models.

ivan
ivan louette

Return to Tutorials