Expression option missing from MH2 Runtime panel

Discussions about MHX2 and other plugins that are developed outside the scope of MakeHuman. Note that bug reports should go to the respective code projects and might go unseen here.

Moderator: joepal

Expression option missing from MH2 Runtime panel

Postby namuhekam » Sun Aug 18, 2019 9:33 pm

I had imported a Makehuman model in the stable release of Blender 2.8 using the Mhx2 addon for the Makehuman Beta release. I saw the pose option for the model but not the expression one but in Blender 2.79 both are available. The model was created in the last stable release of 1.1.1 and the plugin folder that was used is mhx2-20190603-for-blender-280. I want to know has this feature been ported to the 2.8 version yet or is it a bug?
namuhekam

Re: Expression option missing from MH2 Runtime panel

Postby Aranuvir » Sun Aug 18, 2019 11:10 pm

As far as I know part of that code has been removed in the original plugin. It's uncertain if and when that feature will come back...
Aranuvir

Postby rvwsr » Mon Aug 19, 2019 9:57 pm

I have made some of my own custom modifications to the MHX2 importer (just for my own playing around) and was able to get Expressions to work in 2.80.

The code for the expression option is still there, but it is not being registered. Blender 2.80 changed the registration process, and it looks like it was left off of the list.
To get expressions working again, along with the related FaceUnits, you need to edit the __init__.py file and add FaceUnit and Expression to the list of registered classes (the list already contains VIsemes, FaceShape, etc.).
This should make expressions work, but Blender will complain that the class is not properly named. Proper class names are supposed to have a special prefix on them, and I noticed that the working classes are already renamed starting with "MHX_PT_", such as "MHX_PT_Visemes". Renaming "Expression" to "MHX_PT_Expression" (in both the code for the class and in the list mentioned above, and doing the same thing to the "FaceUnits" class, gets Blender to stop complaining.
rvwsr

Postby Calpgrmr » Mon Dec 27, 2021 3:23 pm

YES!!!

THIS WORKS!!!

However there is a typo in the above post.

Be sure to use "FaceUnits" with an "s" - NOT "FaceUnit"

Thanks so much!
Calpgrmr

Return to MHX2 and other plugins developed outside MakeHuman