MHX2 in Unity

Discussions about MHX2 and other plugins that are developed outside the scope of MakeHuman. Note that bug reports should go to the respective code projects and might go unseen here.

Moderator: joepal

MHX2 in Unity

Postby Paulprog16 » Tue Jul 30, 2019 11:00 am

Hello everyone,

I am posting to ask if anyone has ever been able to get the MHX2 rig with IK bones to work in Unity as a Humanoid rig.

Unfortunately, it is the only MHX rig that is not supported by Unity's Humnaoid system, at least right out of the box.

I have been looking everywhere, but I haven't found anything on this.
Paulprog16

Re: MHX2 in Unity

Postby joepal » Tue Jul 30, 2019 11:37 am

Without being that much of an expert on Unity, I think getting the MHX rig to work would be tricky. The MHX code contains a lot of blender specific tricks, and the MHX rig has a vast amount of helper bones which is normally hidden from view.

So far, I've always used the game engine rig when workin with Unity as it maps perfectly on mecanim out of the box.
Joel Palmius (LinkedIn)
MakeHuman Infrastructure Manager
http://www.palmius.com/joel
joepal

Postby Paulprog16 » Tue Jul 30, 2019 1:14 pm

joepal wrote:Without being that much of an expert on Unity, I think getting the MHX rig to work would be tricky. The MHX code contains a lot of blender specific tricks, and the MHX rig has a vast amount of helper bones which is normally hidden from view.

So far, I've always used the game engine rig when workin with Unity as it maps perfectly on mecanim out of the box.

Thank you for your answer.

The only thing I really care about and cannot do without is the IK functions.

Is there any way you can think of to get a MH model animated in Blender with IK functions and exported to Unity as .fbx?
Paulprog16

Postby joepal » Tue Jul 30, 2019 1:40 pm

Not really, no. But that might be due to my lack of experience with Unity.

My understanding is that the IK functionality in Unity is a unity-specific solution that you add on top of a rig, it's not a property of the rig as such. The IK solution in blender is very blender-specific and is unlikely to have a correspondence in FBX. And Unity import from .blend files is done by first converting everthing to FBX behind the scenes, or at least that was what happened when I looked at it a few years ago.

Best I can come up with is converting the IK animation to FK before exporting, which would need to be done via a script.

Other people seem to have run into the same problem: https://blender.stackexchange.com/quest ... fbx-format
Joel Palmius (LinkedIn)
MakeHuman Infrastructure Manager
http://www.palmius.com/joel
joepal

Postby Paulprog16 » Tue Jul 30, 2019 2:03 pm

joepal wrote:Not really, no. But that might be due to my lack of experience with Unity.

My understanding is that the IK functionality in Unity is a unity-specific solution that you add on top of a rig, it's not a property of the rig as such. The IK solution in blender is very blender-specific and is unlikely to have a correspondence in FBX. And Unity import from .blend files is done by first converting everthing to FBX behind the scenes, or at least that was what happened when I looked at it a few years ago.

Best I can come up with is converting the IK animation to FK before exporting, which would need to be done via a script.

Other people seem to have run into the same problem: https://blender.stackexchange.com/quest ... fbx-format

Well, for some strange reason the MHX IK Blender .fbx export works perfectly well in Unity when I import as Generic, which is what I have been doing for quite some time. I wonder why that is.

Maybe I don't even need it to work as a Humanoid, but using Generic instead of Humanoid just feels off, since Generic is supposed to be used with anything that is not a human.

Anyway, thanks again for your input.
Paulprog16

Return to MHX2 and other plugins developed outside MakeHuman