Problems Importing into Blender.

Discussions about MHX2 and other plugins that are developed outside the scope of MakeHuman. Note that bug reports should go to the respective code projects and might go unseen here.

Moderator: joepal

Problems Importing into Blender.

Postby asalina » Tue Apr 19, 2011 6:38 am

Hi,

Thanks for a great piece of software!

I'm using the latest SVN snapshot (updated 10 minutes ago) of Makehuman and Blender 2.57 r36200 on Ubuntu 10.10.
I've been trying with various versions of both Blender and Makehuman for several weeks to import a .mhx that has working
facial controls, with no luck. The only thing that works on the face control "panel" in the 3d View are the eyelids. The lips,
tongue, nose, and eyebrows don't have any effect on the character's face. Because these facial bones do not seem to work,
the lipsync controls in the Makehuman pose tool do not work.

Another persistent problem is that when the rig is put into the Rest position the figure's arms straighten out but the hands do
not follow, causing an "S" shaped bend around both wrists when viewed from the top. When in the Pose position with all bones
reset to 0 the figure looks fine (so this is not a big problem).

If there is any way I can help with more info, etc. please just ask.

Thanks again!

PS: Though the Makehuman program works ok it does Segfault on exit every time.
asalina

Re: Problems Importing into Blender.

Postby ThomasL » Sat Apr 23, 2011 4:09 pm

Probably the facial shapes have not been loaded. This can depend on two things.

1. They were not exported. In the file proxy.cfg, there should be a line reading
@ FaceShapes True

It seems that I have not written about it in the documentation, but it is analogous to how you control export of expressions http://sites.google.com/site/makehumand ... xpressions

2. The were exported to the mhx file but not imported into Blender. Make sure to check the option Face shapes when importing the mhx file.

Thank you for telling me about the rest pose problem. It will disappear if you uncheck the Bend Joints option, which is no longer needed, cf http://makehuman.blogspot.com/2011/03/j ... oaded.html
ThomasL

Postby Shaba1 » Sat Apr 23, 2011 4:43 pm

i downloaded the nightly build from 0421 and blender 2.57 from blender.org (canonical version) I got a mh import ONE Time
then I got the dialog that said that the most recent build from graphicall do not have the right mhh exporter. Ok so then I went to graphicsall and and downloaded the most recent 64 bit windows version I could find. I installed it and copied over the python files from the makehuman nightly build directory to the blender addon/scripts directory. I got that same message.

Tim I appreciate all your work but something needs to be done about this. I know both MH and Blender code are moving targets but how about a big README in each nightly build noting which version of each program you tested the mhx export with?

In any case do you have any ideas on how to solve this and YES I deleted all the .py files and the pyc files that had anything to do with MH from the blender addon directory.
Shaba1

Postby ThomasL » Sun Apr 24, 2011 8:04 am

Strange indeed. Both MH and Blender are less moving targets than they used to be. The mhx importer has not changed since March 30, and the version that comes with Blender is up-to-date. MH alpha 6 and Blender 2.57 (official release) have been tested and work together.

The current mhx version is 1.4.0. The error message tells you whether it the importer or the mhx file that is out of date (has version 1.3.x or lower).
ThomasL

Postby sam1_64 » Sun Apr 24, 2011 9:48 am

I am trying now blender-2.57-linux-glibc27-i686 to import md5meshes but when i try to install the md5 importers and exporters which already are in the scripts/addons folder they dont appear on the add-ons list so i could enable them. Only makehuman importer that can be seen in the add-ons list and file/import is the import makehuman mhx. Is this python version related thing?, mine is 2.6.5 on ubuntu 10.04 LTS and the lates makehuman alpha.
sam1_64

Postby Shaba1 » Sun Apr 24, 2011 1:53 pm

ThomasL wrote:Strange indeed. Both MH and Blender are less moving targets than they used to be. The mhx importer has not changed since March 30, and the version that comes with Blender is up-to-date. MH alpha 6 and Blender 2.57 (official release) have been tested and work together.

The current mhx version is 1.4.0. The error message tells you whether it the importer or the mhx file that is out of date (has version 1.3.x or lower).

I tested each version of blender 2.57 with and older .mhx file if that makes a difference.

It was the older mhx file that made the difference. I will have to load all my old makehuman models and then export them to mhx again. I guess this version of blender and the mhx import does not like the old files.
Shaba1

Postby ThomasL » Sun Apr 24, 2011 3:36 pm

sam1_64: I don't even see an md5 importer in my addons folder. However, the MH team has nothing to do with that; you need to bring it to the attention of the person that wrote the md5 import script.

Shaba1: Both the mhx file and the importer depend on the Blender api, so both can be broken if there is an api change. This is a consequence of how the mhx format was designed. The importer does not explicitly know about all settings. If it does not recognize a line, it tries to change the setting with the same python name. If the python name changes due to an api change, importation of the file will fail.
ThomasL

Postby sam1_64 » Mon Apr 25, 2011 9:05 am

ThomasL: I know it's not MH problem, i was just hoping someone would know why they dont install. After posting i noticed there was a thread in the newbies section where people were wondering the same addoninstall-problem. The md5 importer and exporter were in the folder when i extracted the archive, atleast i dont remember putting them there :lol:

ThomasL: My apology; there wasn't any md5 importers/exporters in the addons folder when i extracted the blender-2.57a-linux-glibc27-i686.tar.bz2 just a moment ago. I don't know where i got the idea there was :?
Last edited by sam1_64 on Fri Apr 29, 2011 11:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
sam1_64

Postby asalina » Wed Apr 27, 2011 5:17 am

ThomasL wrote:Thank you for telling me about the rest pose problem. It will disappear if you uncheck the Bend Joints option, which is no longer needed, cf http://makehuman.blogspot.com/2011/03/j ... oaded.html

Is there a way to fix the rest pose within Blender? I've already exported a model which I have done a lot of edits to and I don't want to have to start over yet again.
If not, it's not a big problem.
asalina

Postby ThomasL » Fri Apr 29, 2011 2:45 am

You can reimport the model into Blender, of course, but I don't see how the work you have done in Blender can be recovered.
ThomasL

Next

Return to MHX2 and other plugins developed outside MakeHuman