SOLVED: MHX2 export broken on Ubuntu 18.04

Discussions about MHX2 and other plugins that are developed outside the scope of MakeHuman. Note that bug reports should go to the respective code projects and might go unseen here.

Moderator: joepal

Re: SOLVED: MHX2 export broken on Ubuntu 18.04

Postby RobBaer » Mon May 14, 2018 12:55 pm

Joel_S wrote: Someone mentioned earlier in the tread that there is a version 1.1.2 which is not available in the PPA.

There is a version 1.1.2 that is being worked on, but the official release version is still 1.1.1.

You have two choices: Download the source from https://github.com/makehumancommunity/m ... ket-stable and replace the makehuman from the ppa. No "building" should be necessary if python 2.7 is still your default python.

Alternatively, and maybe less hassle, just downgrade your version of numpy back to version 1.11 or 1.12. because numpy 1.13 and 1.14 require a minor fix to the MH source code to work properly with MH.
RobBaer

Postby Joel_S » Tue May 15, 2018 11:52 pm

Thanks RobBaer,

It seems only numpy 1.13 is in the repos, so I used option one and now it works great.

Thanks again for your help.
Joel_S

Postby CHEED » Fri May 25, 2018 2:36 pm

Hello,

I just migrated to Linux. Been using MH for a while. I am not sure if its the same problem as discussed in the post. I cannot get MH 1.1.1 to export. The model saves well and is stored in the relevant folder. But I cannot export it as Mhx2.
I am getting the following message (please see at the bottom of the attached image):

Here is the message as it appears:
Exception during event onFileSelected TraceBack (most recent call last): File "/core/events3d.py", line 211, callEvent method(event) File"./apps/gui/guiexport.py, line 112, in onFileSelected exporter.export(gu.....
Attachments
Screenshot_2018-05-25_16-21-00.png
Deliberate Creator | Life By Design; Not Default
CHEED

Postby RobBaer » Sat May 26, 2018 4:13 am

Could be, but you don't provide the whole error message (utility | logs). If it is, try rolling back your numpy version and exporting should start working again.
RobBaer

Postby CHEED » Fri Jun 01, 2018 6:56 pm

RobBaer wrote:Could be, but you don't provide the whole error message (utility | logs). If it is, try rolling back your numpy version and exporting should start working again.

Hello,

How do I go about rolling back my numpy version? Thanks
CHEED

Postby RobBaer » Fri Jun 01, 2018 8:36 pm

Well, I'm not a Linux expert but it is probably something like:
Start a terminal.
pip -h # learn how pip works; I use Anaconda python myself - sorry
pip list # to see what is installed
pip uninstall numpy # yes to get rid of existing numpy
pip install numpy==1.11 # maybe someone (or google) can verify this approach

Edit: A quick test on my part suggest you may get away with just this:
Start a terminal
Type:
pip install numpy==1.11

It seems it will figure out to uninstall you old numpy all on its own, at least I think.

**perhaps irrelevant in normal environment** Weirdly, when I as for 1.10 I get 1.11, and when I ask for 1.11 I get 1.12 and when I ask for 1.12 I get 1.13. I don't know what this quirk is about so you may need to fiddle. Maybe its related to my having Anaconda python. That's what I have -- sorry but hope it helps
RobBaer

Postby CHEED » Mon Jun 04, 2018 1:16 pm

RobBaer wrote:
Edit: A quick test on my part suggest you may get away with just this:
Start a terminal
Type:
pip install numpy==1.11

It seems it will figure out to uninstall you old numpy all on its own, at least I think.

Hey Rob,
This suggestion worked. I got numpy version 1.11.0. I had 1.13.3. Thanks a lot. I can now export successfully:

Just a thought/question: will rolling back numpy to an earlier version have any complications with MH later on?
Attachments
MH+UbuntuExportSuccess.png
Successful export!
numpy 1-11-0.png
List showing numpy 1.11.0
CHEED

Postby RobBaer » Tue Jun 05, 2018 2:01 am

No guarantees about the future, but also not anything to worry about.
1. The need came about because numpy changed and broke MH code.
2. The development version of MH has already been updated and works fine with numpy 1.11 and numpy 1.13 and numpy 1.14 so its not an issue for now.
3. Although there is no reason to anticipate numpy 1,11 will stop working, if it did, the MH code is already fixed and would only cost you the time to download install from Bitbucket. No ppa currently exists for 18.04 but at some point that will happen.

In the unlikely event you need numpy 1.13 or beyond for another program, simply go to Bitbucket and update to the most recent MH source-code.
RobBaer

Postby CHEED » Tue Jun 05, 2018 7:34 am

RobBaer wrote:No guarantees about the future, but also not anything to worry about.
1. The need came about because numpy changed and broke MH code.
2. The development version of MH has already been updated and works fine with numpy 1.11 and numpy 1.13 and numpy 1.14 so its not an issue for now.
3. Although there is no reason to anticipate numpy 1,11 will stop working, if it did, the MH code is already fixed and would only cost you the time to download install from Bitbucket. No ppa currently exists for 18.04 but at some point that will happen.

In the unlikely event you need numpy 1.13 or beyond for another program, simply go to Bitbucket and update to the most recent MH source-code.

Okay...got it.
CHEED

Postby Aranuvir » Tue Jun 05, 2018 5:24 pm

The need came about because MakeHuman has a (in the meanwhile fixed) bug, that became evident in more recent versions of numpy.

IMHO, this is the third best solution. Using pip on debian-like distors is not recommended because it could conflict with your primary package management system. IIRC, the downgrade of numpy is system-wide. Any other python software installed via apt relying on numpy, might conflict here. In best case numpy gets reverted to the version of the package management. The second best solution would be using virtual env or anaconda. And the best solution, since this is a bug, would be using a bug fixed version of MakeHuman. I'd still propose to build a bug fixed 1.1.1a version for the ppa. Linux is the only version, that is impacted directly by the bug, because numpy is coming from a different source, as the rest of the code. But I know, that will be a bunch of work for Joel.
Aranuvir

PreviousNext

Return to MHX2 and other plugins developed outside MakeHuman