Export from blender as mhx2 in order to import again

Discussions about MHX2 and other plugins that are developed outside the scope of MakeHuman. Note that bug reports should go to the respective code projects and might go unseen here.

Moderator: joepal

Export from blender as mhx2 in order to import again

Postby ericspataru » Mon Mar 27, 2017 3:02 pm

Hello guys,

I've been using this program for weeks now and recently I've bumped into this addon. I started to make animations, but I encounter a problem. We are a team of two, one's modelling and the other is animating.. The thing is that there seems to be no possibility of exporting mhx2 in blender, I can only import mhx2 formats in blender

also, if there's any other way to export aleverything and keep it in blender, please let me know

Thanks for creating this project for no money! You have my appreciation!
ericspataru

Re: Export from blender as mhx2 in order to import again

Postby Aranuvir » Mon Mar 27, 2017 3:30 pm

The MHX export is basically a one way street. How to port certain things back to MH can be found in the docs.
Aranuvir

Postby ericspataru » Mon Mar 27, 2017 7:24 pm

I'm sorry for being lame at speaking English (I'm not native)..
That is not what I mean.
What I mean is that I want to export my work from blender (for instance, let's say I put a dress on a woman model), and then I want to export this woman with dress in .mhx2, not .fbx or any other extensions that Blender already has. Importing from MH to Blender works perfectly, I've read all the available tutorials (or so I think), but the only problem is this.. exporting from Blender with .mhx2 extension (I want to use the woman with the dress AND the rig and everything on another computer)

Sorry again for my English, but as I'm not a native speaker, the fact that you didn't clearly understand what I meant is completely understandable though
ericspataru

Postby punkduck » Mon Mar 27, 2017 8:37 pm

ericspataru wrote:I'm sorry for being lame at speaking English (I'm not native)..
That is not what I mean.
What I mean is that I want to export my work from blender (for instance, let's say I put a dress on a woman model), and then I want to export this woman with dress in .mhx2, not .fbx or any other extensions that Blender already has. Importing from MH to Blender works perfectly, I've read all the available tutorials (or so I think), but the only problem is this.. exporting from Blender with .mhx2 extension (I want to use the woman with the dress AND the rig and everything on another computer)

Sorry again for my English, but as I'm not a native speaker, the fact that you didn't clearly understand what I meant is completely understandable though

Most of us are not native speakers ... :)

There is no method to export from Blender in mhx2. It is a special format to transport rig, mesh and materials to Blender.

Do you both work with Blender? If so, simply save the .blend file. Be aware, that the textures are normally not included, when you save from Blender. Either you have to include them in the blend file or you have to export these files separately (they are saved in the exports/textures directory of Makehuman).

If the other person is also working on a file and wanted to ADD your work, he or she should use "append" instead of the normal load command, so that your character could be "inserted" in his or her scene.
punkduck

Postby Aranuvir » Mon Mar 27, 2017 8:42 pm

... just too slow, nothing to add ... :D
Aranuvir

Postby RobBaer » Mon Mar 27, 2017 8:43 pm

ericspataru wrote:Sorry again for my English, but as I'm not a native speaker, the fact that you didn't clearly understand what I meant is completely understandable though

.mhx2 format, so far, has only one exporter (and it is for MakeHuman) and only one importer (and it is for Blender). You can go from MakeHuman to Blender, but not back again to MakeHuman with .mhx2. You can save what you do in Blender, of course, as .blend files, but MakeHuman can not read these either. If you want to use the .blend file on another computer, consider using the [ File | External data | pack all into .blend ] menu in Blender so that your textures follow you automatically to the second computer.

If you want to go from MakeHuman to Blender for the animator, then get feedback from her (the animator), and then make changes specified by the animator, you should save the MakeHuman file as both an .mhm file which saves what you have in the MakeHuman interface, and as .mhx2 which can be read by Blender. You can start from where you left off with the .mhm, make the changes specified by the animator, and then create a NEW .mhx2 for her. You cannot take changes the animator has made in Blender and get them back into MakeHuman. Not possible with any file format. That is not how MakeHuman works. It is not a regular 3D modeling program. It is the initial program in a workflow chain. Once you have moved to Blender (or Max or Maya) you are stuck there.

The one other thing you might want to do is make clothes that you can put on different characters in MakeHuman. This you CAN get back into MakeHuman with some work, but the format is NOT .mhx2. You use the MakeClothes plugin in Blender to produce the clothes, and they are saved from that plugin in a form that can be used directly by MakeHuman. There is documentation on the MakeClothes plugin here, and there are many user contributed assets made with it on the community assets page. See http://www.makehumancommunity.org/conte ... ssets.html for these assets.

See this documentation for making your own assets:
http://www.makehumancommunity.org/wiki/ ... new_assets
http://www.makehumancommunity.org/wiki/ ... _tutorials
RobBaer

Postby jujube » Tue Mar 28, 2017 2:54 am

@RobBaer I gathered that what they want is to export from blender to blender. (In which case, I think it should work to append/link(?) to get the things you want into another .blend. Although on the other hand I'm not sure if that would transfer whatever special data the mhx2 would have... hmm)
jujube

Postby RobBaer » Tue Mar 28, 2017 3:06 am

jujube wrote:@RobBaer I gathered that what they want is to export from blender to blender. (In which case, I think it should work to append/link(?) to get the things you want into another .blend. Although on the other hand I'm not sure if that would transfer whatever special data the mhx2 would have... hmm)

ericspataru wrote:... but the only problem is this.. exporting from Blender with .mhx2 extension (I want to use the woman with the dress AND the rig and everything on another computer )

link/append will ONLY work to move assets from one computer to another computer if there is a shared network drive that makes the .blend accessible to both. The other important thing is that there is general confusion by OP about the role of .mhx2 and using a .blend instead.
RobBaer

Postby ericspataru » Tue Mar 28, 2017 10:49 am

Thanks a lot! Saving in .blend format helped me!
ericspataru

Postby brandonchampney » Wed Feb 10, 2021 8:34 pm

I am new but wanting my workflow to be export out of makehuman into blender, pose character, import back to makehuman, cloth character and render

im thinking this is not possible?

Thanks for any help
brandonchampney

Next

Return to MHX2 and other plugins developed outside MakeHuman