mhx2 export in blender doesn't have a rig

Discussions about MHX2 and other plugins that are developed outside the scope of MakeHuman. Note that bug reports should go to the respective code projects and might go unseen here.

Moderator: joepal

mhx2 export in blender doesn't have a rig

Postby KSneed » Mon Feb 06, 2017 11:05 am

Hello,

I'm using a MakeHuman and Blender on mac. I tried exporting a character from MakeHuman using the mhx2 format, however when I imported the file into Blender there was no rig visible. Does anyone know how to solve this issue?
KSneed

Re: mhx2 export in blender doesn't have a rig

Postby Aranuvir » Mon Feb 06, 2017 11:22 am

Did you select a rig under the Pose/Animate tab before export?
Aranuvir

Postby joepal » Mon Feb 06, 2017 1:31 pm

Alternatively, if you don't want the MH rigs, you can check the "override" button in the mhx2 import panel in blender and assign a rig there.

But you will get the best results in regards to features and weight painting if you a) choose the "default" (or "default no toes") rig in MH and b) override on mhx2 import and set the rig to "exported mhx".
Joel Palmius (LinkedIn)
MakeHuman Infrastructure Manager
http://www.palmius.com/joel
joepal

Postby KSneed » Mon Feb 06, 2017 1:52 pm

That solved it. Thanks everyone!
KSneed

Postby RobBaer » Sat Mar 04, 2017 4:18 pm

joepal wrote:But you will get the best results in regards to features and weight painting if you a) choose the "default" (or "default no toes") rig in MH and b) override on mhx2 import and set the rig to "exported mhx".

I'm a little uncertain about the whole "over-ride concept". Sometimes the only way to learn is to expose your ignorance. Could you explain what makes this the "best results in regards to features and weight painting"? What happens with this that doesn't happen otherwise? Is it the FK and IK helpers? Why the default rig specifically? Is it the face bones which other MH skeletons lack?

Do I understand what this override does or am I confusing some things? What other considerations are there here that I might not get?

?
RobBaer

Postby joepal » Sat Mar 04, 2017 4:45 pm

Barring that I misunderstand something: The rig with the most elaborate weight painting is "default". If you override and set the rig to "mhx" you get the plain mhx rig with its own weight painting. However, if you use "exported mhx" you get the original rig with its weight painting, but wrapped with mhx helpers. Thus you get the best of two worlds that way: both weight painting and ik switches.

It is entirely possible I've misunderstood this process as I don't really know what happens under the hood in mhx.
Joel Palmius (LinkedIn)
MakeHuman Infrastructure Manager
http://www.palmius.com/joel
joepal

Postby RobBaer » Tue Mar 07, 2017 1:51 am

joepal wrote:It is entirely possible I've misunderstood this process as I don't really know what happens under the hood in mhx.

Thanks. So, much to understand and so litter time to tinker. This one is probably worth spending more time on, but I might have to quit my real word job first :) But then there is openGL ... :mrgreen:
RobBaer

Postby Joshea » Sat Apr 29, 2017 1:09 am

KSneed wrote:That solved it. Thanks everyone!

There are two answers to your original question. Which one worked for you? Spent hours trying to figure this out to no avail.

I too have a mac and can only seem to import, into Blender, a mesh format (MakeHuman Exchange (mhx2)).

In MakeHuman, I do see a rig format in the box below the mesh format, however, its BVH only, and it cancels out the mesh mhx2 format.

Your thoughts or suggestions are appreciated.
Joshea

Postby loki1950 » Sat Apr 29, 2017 1:44 am

MHX2 is on the export tab of files there is no bvh export just make sure that you have actually have a skeleton selected on the Pose /Animate tab the default one works best if you do not see mhx2 as an option on the Files--Export tab then you placed the exporter plug-in in the wrong folder or did not activate it on the Settings--Plug-ins tab.

Enjoy the Choice :)
my box::HP Envy i5-6400 @2Q70GHzx4 8 Gb ram/1 Tb(Win10 64)/3 Tb Mint 19.2/GTX745 4Gb acer S243HL K222HQL
Q8200/Asus P5QDLX/8 Gb ram/WD 2Tb 2-500 G HD/GF GT640 2Gb Mint 17.3 64 bit Win 10 32 bit acer and Lenovo Ideapad 320-15ABR Win 10/Mint 19
loki1950

Postby Joshea » Sat Apr 29, 2017 3:23 pm

loki1950 wrote:MHX2 is on the export tab of files there is no bvh export just make sure that you have actually have a skeleton selected on the Pose /Animate tab the default one works best if you do not see mhx2 as an option on the Files--Export tab then you placed the exporter plug-in in the wrong folder or did not activate it on the Settings--Plug-ins tab.

Enjoy the Choice :)

Selecting the Pose/Animate - Skeleton has solved the problem.

Thank you. :)
Joshea

Next

Return to MHX2 and other plugins developed outside MakeHuman