Default armature and Mixamo's animations compatibility

Discussions about MHX2 and other plugins that are developed outside the scope of MakeHuman. Note that bug reports should go to the respective code projects and might go unseen here.

Moderator: joepal

Default armature and Mixamo's animations compatibility

Postby harletic » Wed Jun 29, 2016 6:35 pm

Dear Community Members and MH team!

After days of watching preview videos, being on the edge of my seat gazing at all these new functionalities and resources, I finally
find the courage to update my Makehuman tool. I must say it's an astonishing piece of work and I would like to take this opportunity to express my warm gratitude towards the crew responsible for this creation.

Coming back from that buttering up to the main subject: the feature I'm most excited about is the new face rigging system. It seems to be a convenient and efficient way to automate process of animating MH characters' expressions, but here's the catch - it is designated to be working properly only with two recently updated default armatures. Thereby, the vast majority of possible mocap animation sources is acutely excluded - especially the crucial one for me - Mixamo Store. Those are the results of retargeting Mixamo's animations to this poor fellow's default skeleton:

Image Image

Now, getting to the point - here is my question: is there any automatic way to repair these animations? I don't consider manual methods as it's not feasible for me to handle with 500 animation on my own.

Many thanks for your attention and participation.
harletic

Re: Default armature and Mixamo's animations compatibility

Postby Aranuvir » Thu Jun 30, 2016 12:02 pm

Not sure if I can help here. But it would be useful if you could be slightly more verbose on your work flow. Are you using MakeWalk? Is you example using a maximo mocap and does it contain facial animation? ...?
Aranuvir

Postby harletic » Thu Jun 30, 2016 6:32 pm

Sure thing, sorry for being too enigmatic about my workflow. Yes, I'm using MakeWalk (the newest
one) to retarget animations from Mixamo to my MH default skeleton, a T-pose I have shown you before derives from Mixamo's bvh file (it looks like they are using the same t-pose for almost every one of their animations) and it got deformed in the process just like every single pose in a file. Also, Mixamo .bvh file doesn't contain facial animation, however I'm going to add these in the future in my friend's engine so I need to use one of those default skeletons.
harletic

Postby joepal » Thu Jun 30, 2016 6:40 pm

Moving, since this is about makewalk rather than makehuman.
Joel Palmius (LinkedIn)
MakeHuman Infrastructure Manager
http://www.palmius.com/joel
joepal

Postby wolgade » Thu Jun 30, 2016 11:10 pm

joepal wrote:Moving, since this is about makewalk rather than makehuman.

Why? MakeWalk is part of official MH. Or did I miss something? Anyway, beside the fact that both, MHX2 and MakeWalk, were written by Thomas, there's no connection between them.
wolgade

Postby joepal » Fri Jul 01, 2016 3:49 am

Mainly for practical reasons, since Thomas is largely the only one who works on MakeWalk. If I move stuff here, there's a greater chance he'll see the question. :-)

But also in lack of better options. If/when I implement this viewtopic.php?f=19&t=13438, I'll do differently.
Joel Palmius (LinkedIn)
MakeHuman Infrastructure Manager
http://www.palmius.com/joel
joepal

Return to MHX2 and other plugins developed outside MakeHuman