[MOCAP] After retarget in blender

Discussions about MHX2 and other plugins that are developed outside the scope of MakeHuman. Note that bug reports should go to the respective code projects and might go unseen here.

Moderator: joepal

[MOCAP] After retarget in blender

Postby harrypanj94 » Sat May 14, 2016 5:27 am

helloo guuyss. this is my first time to use mocap in blender

after created character with makehuman, i try to use mocap in blender

after matching the bones with bvh file and retarget it, i got bad mesh and bones.

what should i do? please help meee

1.PNG

2.PNG

3.PNG

4.PNG
harrypanj94

Re: [MOCAP] After retarget in blender

Postby wolgade » Sat May 14, 2016 1:05 pm

You should be a bit more specific about what you did.

Your character doesn't seem to use the default rig. What rig do you use?
How did you apply the mocap? MakeWalk?
Some bvh files simply don't work well. Where did you get it from?
wolgade

Postby JacobMrox » Fri Oct 14, 2016 1:30 pm

I'm having the exact same issue.

According to Thomas, the default MHX rig does not work with Makewalk since it assumes that the Breast bones are actually the shoulder bones and it is missing arm bones in that case.

The workflow would be as follows:

• Fixing up the BVH in BVH Hacker as usual.
• Enabling the Mocap Tools (by Benjy Cook) in Blender.
• Using the Mocap tools to retarget the BVH Animation to your character skeleton manually.

The problem: The bones are being twisted just as seen in the OP, when they should not..
JacobMrox

Postby JacobMrox » Sun Oct 16, 2016 11:28 am

Never give up! I found the solution.

In order to prevent the crazy twist you have to make your bones similar to the rotation of the bvh bones, and that can be done as follows...
select all your bones and press CTRL+R then rotate them so they are in a non-twist position (can be logically understood when you look in which way its twist; either way just try rotating and check advanced retarget).

Side Effecs: Doesn't work with all bones so if it worked for a few bones there is no grantee it works with the rest, this is a basic solution and not a complete one.

If this fixed the problem for anyone please do not hesitate to thank me, I spent a lot of time trying to figure this out. :D
JacobMrox

Re: [MOCAP] After retarget in blender{solved]

Postby blendIAN » Sun Feb 19, 2017 1:47 am

Hi,
I've got to a similar point (same MH to blender workflow) but when I retarget the mhx2 to the bvh the hips are always out, negatively impacting on the MH skinned object. I'll upload the bvh that I used blender and maybe you can tell me which mhx2 rig option is closest. It seems to be a bone position issue rather than rotation but I'd be happy to be proven wrong. I've also included a screen shot from Blender showing the issue.
Thanks,
Ian

p.s. here's the blender file while I'm at it.
Attachments
mocap.blend
(1.58 MiB) Downloaded 704 times
twistedhips.jpg
tennis.7z
(134.67 KiB) Downloaded 590 times
blendIAN

Re: [MOCAP] After retarget in blender (how to)

Postby blendIAN » Mon Feb 20, 2017 8:51 pm

Hi,
I found the rigs exported by Makehuman to be too difficult to retarget to a standard bvh in Blender. So I only exported just a mesh with a T pose.

Then I went into Blender and imported the bvh file (which come in as an animated rig) after adding a T pose in bvh hacker.

Then I removed all of the keyframes from the bvh skeleton until I was left with the T pose. I assigned it to the unrigged MH mesh. You have to play around a bit with applying scale and translations to stop the rig jumping around before assigning the mesh.

Once this was done, because the armatures had the same bones (bone names) I could select both and target the bones to match using Blender's mocap add-on and link the bones via the object menu.

Cheers,
Ian
Attachments
tennisplayer.jpg
blendIAN

Return to MHX2 and other plugins developed outside MakeHuman