Troubles Installing MHX2 in Ubuntu Linux and Makehuman 1.1

Discussions about MHX2 and other plugins that are developed outside the scope of MakeHuman. Note that bug reports should go to the respective code projects and might go unseen here.

Moderator: joepal

Troubles Installing MHX2 in Ubuntu Linux and Makehuman 1.1

Postby hul78 » Sat Sep 19, 2015 5:05 pm

Hello
I've been following Makehuman evolution since a couple of years. And now, I have to speak

I have troubles installing MHX2 in Linux Ubuntu 15.04.

But first of all, I'm in doubt. Does MHX2 works with Makehuman 1.1 - "a nightly build" ?

Anyway, when following this bullet:
Copy or link the folder 9_export_mhx2 to the MakeHuman plugins folder.

and because I have a bad habit to use GUI I did, in the terminal:
sudo nautilus

which allowed me to copy the directory "9_export_mhx2", in "usr/share/makehuman/plugins".

After that, I tried to open Makehuman, but It doesn't change from the first splash screen. It doesn't start :|

Trying to figure what is going on, I note that the copied directory have different permisions than the others. At this point I decided to ask for help! :(

Thanks
hul78

Re: Troubles Installing MHX2 in Ubuntu Linux and Makehuman 1

Postby ThomasL » Sat Sep 19, 2015 5:42 pm

Did you use an old stable build of MHX2? There was a bug in 0.26, but I fixed it several months ago and updated the stable build.

hul78 wrote:But first of all, I'm in doubt. Does MHX2 works with Makehuman 1.1 - "a nightly build" ?

Yes, it should. I'm using the unstable version of MH for development, so unless there is a difference between that and the nightly builds it should work. But I'm using Windows 7, so if there is some Linux-specific problem I won't see it.
ThomasL

Postby hul78 » Sat Sep 19, 2015 6:35 pm

Many thanks for answer, Thomas.

Using the terminal for executing "makehuman", the last message that appear is:

File "./core/mhmain.py", line 508, in loadPlugins
if os.path.isdir(folder) and ("__init__.py" in os.listdir(folder)):
OSError: [Errno 13] Permiso denegado: 'plugins/9_export_mhx2'

To me It enforces my idea it's an issue of OS permissions. But my knowledge of Linux is ... "relaxed".

I don't know if there are linux users that can give a hand? :) ...

On Inkscape, for example, their extensions (mostly writen in python), there are in a subdirectory in the user's home. It's not possible to put makehuman's plugins in the subdirectory that it's in HOME? ... just saying

Did you use an old stable build of MHX2? There was a bug in 0.26, but I fixed it several months ago and updated the stable build.

The file I downloaded has the name:
ThomasMakeHuman-mhx2-makehuman-exchange-c92ecf84c438.zip
Where can I see the version?

Greetings
hul78

Postby ThomasL » Sat Sep 19, 2015 8:40 pm

hul78 wrote:The file I downloaded has the name:
ThomasMakeHuman-mhx2-makehuman-exchange-c92ecf84c438.zip
Where can I see the version?

OK, this is the unstable development version. It will become 0.27 rather soon, but there is no version numbers that keeps track of the unstable versions.

Anyway, as you pointed out, this is most likely a matter of permissions. The mhx2 folder should have the same permissions as the other folders in the plugins directory. IIRC, you list files with permission info with ll and change permission with chmod, but a Linux guru would know what arguments to use.
ThomasL

Postby hul78 » Sat Sep 19, 2015 9:02 pm

Many thanks for your support

It was solved with:

Code: Select all
sudo chmod 755 9_export_mhx2

Now... to play!
hul78

Return to MHX2 and other plugins developed outside MakeHuman